Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

FYI: New Fees for Wizard World Fan Tables

• 10 Replies
FYI: New Fees for Wizard World Fan Tables
« on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Hey all, I know I'm not a full member here, but like many I am involved in many fan communities around my area in Missouri.

We just found out that starting with Wizard World St Louis, all WW cons will charge $650 for a fan community table. I called the sales manager in charge of fan communities and talked ot him at length. He says there is nothing he can do, and it is the new Wizard World policy.

I know there may be some groups out there capable of shelling out that kind of cash, but I personally think it's a bit of a scam to give us free tables, and out of nowhere charge such a high fee. The reasoning I've gotten from the Sales manager Alex is that you can sell anything you want at the table, and it's great exposure, so it's worth the $650.

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know what was going on, because it affects the wizard world cons all over the US. So, if you;re booked for one later this year, you might want to get in contact and make sure it's still good.

His contact info is Alex Wer, alex@wizardworld.com, National Sales Manager for Exhibitors, Retailers, Sponsorships, Promotions & Fan Communities

Helmet 90% : Body Armor 5% : Gauntlets 0% : Soft Parts 10% : Weapons 10%

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
Re: FYI: New Fees for Wizard World Fan Tables
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2014, 03:21 PM »
thanks for his contact info. I think he'll be getting quite a few emails

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:19 PM »
thanks for his contact info. I think he'll be getting quite a few emails
Or quite a lot less business.  Not everyone is Yaya Han and/or sells stuff.

Blasty

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Well, I would not suggest a boycott is the best idea, We could still go but not buy a fan table, either way Not buying a fan table should be good enough to show them no body wants to pay it.

another option could be opening a donation pool on the site for WW tables...

501st Legion: TX/TR-51817
OM#: 2411

Dar'manda

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Well, I would not suggest a boycott is the best idea, We could still go but not buy a fan table, either way Not buying a fan table should be good enough to show them no body wants to pay it.

so would the absence of ALL of the big costume clubs at the events (you know, one of the huge reasons people come to cons)

another option could be opening a donation pool on the site for WW tables...

then they'd just win...

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Gatoma

• Thaxos's #1 Fan and has luposlipaphobia
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:09 AM »
I belive this will blow over in a year, they will relized how much they screwed up and see how much money they lost, fire someone. BOOM: fan tables free again.  Just my 2 cents

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions. Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:36 AM »
An official response to this is being discussed by the club leadership. The fee stinks, but we ask that everyone be calm about it.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Blasty

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:41 PM »
found this petition,

https://www.change.org/petitions/wizard-world-make-fan-tables-free-again

so far it has the most signatures out of all the other petitions.
the thing at the end is optional, asking if you want to pay for them to post this an ad on other sites...

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 01:48 PM by Blasty, Verd be Manda'yaim » Logged

Gatoma

• Thaxos's #1 Fan and has luposlipaphobia
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:24 PM »
If fan tables are gone, that shouldn't crush a mandos spirit and desire to hang out with mercs, we can still hang around and pose for pictures in the lobby.

Atleast CVII will have fan tables, and there are other comic cons too, such as steel city con, dragon con, etc and these have free fan tables and tend to be more popular than WW.

Dar'manda

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:08 PM »
An official response to this is being discussed by the club leadership.

Doesn't mean the peasants can't continue to discuss it still =P heh

Blasty

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Just found this out! There is a way to bypass fan table fees! Just get an Artist's Alley Table! We make the stuff and show it off, prop puilding technically is an "art". Those tables also come with 2 free passes!

I booked an Artist Alley table, do I still need to buy a pass to the show?
•   No, an Artist Alley table comes with 2 free passes. The section at the bottom of the Artist Alley form that you filled out had a spot for you to enter the names for your badges. If they weren’t filled out, one will be left at Registration in the name of the Registering Artist, and one will just be left as “Guest.” You can pick them up at the Guest Registration Area.

I’m interested in an Artist Alley table. How do I know if I qualify for one?
•   We don’t discriminate over different types of artists. It’s called “Artist Alley,” not “Comic Book Artist Alley.” We allow any kind of artist, or creative type who wants to set up in Artist Alley. We’ve had T-Shirt Printers, Face Painters, Toy Sculptors, FX Make-Up Artists, Filmmakers, Musicians, and of course, Comic Book Artists and Creators. The only rule that we have is that you’re not a Dealer or Vendor setting up in Artist Alley because it’s cheaper than booking a Retailer Booth, you’re not setting up just to sell your personal comic book collection, and that you don’t display Adult Related materials.
Other than that, all artists are welcome to set up.

Also the price for an Artist alley table is less than half the price of a fan table!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!