Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

FrancT- backpack WIP

• 17 Replies

Mavek Tryn'ke

• OM # 1368 Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more
FrancT- backpack WIP
« on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I was surfing thru here last night to get some ideas and came across this thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=33278.0

Thought that pack looked great, and wanted to do something similar. Of course, I thought "where the heck am I going to find a lawnmower like that?". I hit up a local thrift store today looking for ideas and found this for $4. I think it was a vaporizer or nebulizer, but it has a similar look, and I think I'm going to use MandalorianEwok's pack as the basis of design...

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41
M.i.B. #7 Shereshir'Ca: Seize The Night

"Vercopa Par Naas, Tsikador Par Mayen"
Hope for Nothing, Prepare for Anything

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
Re: FrancT- backpack WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Looks like a good base! Just needs some greebs and a strapping method. Good find for sure

Mavek Tryn'ke

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I'm not going to work on it for a week or two, so I'm going to kick some different ideas around (We're working on several guns right now and our girth belts). I'm thinking a 3" PVC tube down at least one side, possibly both sides. My one gun has a barrel extension, so that will act as a storage area for it.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2014, 07:00 PM by FrancT » Logged
OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Great Base vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2014, 06:43 PM »
OK, so I finally had some time over the last week and a half to work on this. I decided to turn it into a jetpack instead of just a backpack.

Took some 3" PVC couplings...

cut a piece of vinyl siding to fit inside...

hot glued the vinyl siding in the coupling

Next I took a piece of 1 1/2" PVC as well as a 2" to 1 1/2" adaptor

And glued them together....

This then got glued onto the vinyl siding in the coupling.

I took some 3" PVC pipe, some cheap plastic funnels which I cut down, and some plumbers putty...

Sanded and primed...

Rough fitting with some greeblies, switches, and PVC connectors. The round thing in the middle was a dollar store can strainer.

Used some black paint on a rag and rubbed it on to give it a weathered and used look.

Connected some hoses and clear coated it

I also put a piece of red cellophane behind the can strainer thing. I'm going to cut a hole in the back of the pack so that I can insert a flashlight and you will see the red.

What do you guys think?

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I like it, but I think the red on the rockets need something. Maybe some silver caution stripes?

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I was thinking of putting some sort of markings on the rockets. Numbering or something....

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:49 PM »
You can copy the amrkings from the tank toppers on bobas jetpack ?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Greeblies never cease to amaze me.  :P I have to find some cool stuff for my pack, but this is a nifty idea.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2014, 03:41 PM »
That looks awesome vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:37 PM »
so what your saying is ... NOW YOUR BACKPACKS GOT JETS!

Keep up the good work bud ;)

Raysh Palaven

• The Wings Of Mandalore
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Inspiring fabrication vod! Might just add a pack to my kit.  ;D

THIS IS THE WAY.
\m/

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:09 PM »
I downloaded the Mandalorian font for Photoshop, so I made a stencil for some lettering/numbering on the rockets.
I used my Mandalorian last name Tryn'ke. I printed it on paper and used a razor knife to cut it out. I then sprayed some spraypaint on a paper plate, and used a foam brush to apply the paint on the stencil. This gives it a instant used, weathered, worn off  look...

And voila!

Edited: I built the harness so I can wear it. I've also cut the hole in the back for an LED flashlight to be installed. I didn't realize it'd also light up part of the tubes. I think I'm going to hit up the dollar store for some cheapie glow sticks to insert into the tubes (I can access them from the hole I cut in the back) to make them glow a different color.

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2014, 08:19 AM by FrancT » Logged
OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Quick suggestion over glow sticks:

El Wire

$12 for 10-15 ft with a controller on amazon. Can't be beat! It will make the tubes glow just as good as a glow stick would and you won't have to change them out. Just an idea~

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Quick suggestion over glow sticks:

El Wire

$12 for 10-15 ft with a controller on amazon. Can't be beat! It will make the tubes glow just as good as a glow stick would and you won't have to change them out. Just an idea~

Oh, interesting! I'd rather use something like that, so I'm going to look into it. I'd like to use something other than a flashlight as well, so this might fit both needs.

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:25 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EENNGJG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QKW17RVNIJ8T&coliid=I1BIVG96YDZ46P&psc=1

That is 15' for $12 with a 4 star review by a decent number of people. As for a main light, a flashlight doesn't seem like a bad start to me. Also, I'm not sure on the price for shipping. I usually spend over $35 and everything has free shipping at that point. I just wait until I have a list of items I want that exceed the minimum free shipping point.

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:30 AM »
I just did a quick google search. Spencers actually carries 9' lengths of El Wire, which would be all that I need. They have a few different colors, so I could decide what color I wanted for the hose. I could use either a white or red one for the main light (there is red cellophane there, so I wouldn't want another color). The flashlight is rigged to stay in with a small metal bracket, so it's kind of a pain. These would definitely suit my needs. I'm headed out of town today on a business trip, but might have to hit up Spencers this weekend.

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Definitely go for it! For the flashlight, I'd suggest taking it apart. Really should only be 2 wires that go to the bulb. Extend those wires and mount the button portion of the flashlight flush with the exterior of the pack. Make it look like another switch, except it would have a function. Then you can mount the bulb easily with just about anything.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!