Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cybernetics

• 2 Replies

Kybri_Lok

• Haat, ijaa, haa'it
Cybernetics
« on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Anyone have experience casting/creating cybernetic facial components?  I'm wanting to do something like this (on my character from TOR), and wondered if anyone had tips.  I'm leaning toward making a casting of the side of my face and neck and building it from there with flexible materials, any thoughts?

Like my sewing?  Check out more here:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/IzzyandMarley

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
Re: Cybernetics
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I do not have any experience making latex prosthetics, but I've done some business with this shop on Etsy. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pirkleations

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Cybernetics
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Those are extremely easy appliances. You have the right idea.

Cast your face (any part you may want to do appliances for...full face is best if you have some help). I use alginate for my casts as I only plan to make one pull from them and it is far cheaper than silicone. Use a good, solid material like Ultra Cal or such for the actual casting material so you will have the sculpting surface for YEARS (mine is at least 5 years old and I think older and has survived some rather nasty beatings and droppages :P ). Then sculpt whatever you want as an appliance and recast that. For that part, I tend to use Ultra Cal or just plaster of paris (if I doubt I will need many pulls).

Get yourself some good, mask quality latex like RD 407 (my personal favorite) and layer it into the mold you just made of the sculpt. Many thin layers are the key as latex only dries so deep when exposed to air and can leave liquid (guts) if put on too thick. After you build the latex up to close to the depth of your face (and it has all set nicely), carefully pull the new appliance out of the rigid mold and use something like Prosaide or Beta Bond (I prefer Beta bon, myself) to attach it to your face. Latex can be tinted with acrylic paints and painted afterwards with special paints, acrylics, or even acrylics mixed with a small bit of the Beta Bond (not advised unless you plan to paint it on SOON and FAST  :P). When done, just peel it off and clean your face with a good adhesive remover (my preference is Telesis Super Solve...same guys that make Beta Bond).

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!