Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **Merc Approved**

• 151 Replies

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Montross, you say?  His style factored into the earliest design concepts of my first kit.  Needless to say, I'm a fan.

Go on!  I want to see this build! :D

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I want to do the whole sleeveless style for summer troops! Would be sweet and cold! 8)

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:22 PM »
I'll post more WIP pics tonight. I spent my weekend being as lazy as possible. bleh

"You're worth enough...dead..."

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Was gonna post some other pics, but realized they're on my other laptop, which has more pics there, so when I get the time I'll snag some from.

In the mean time, I have begun a very drastic change in "lifestyle," cause if I call it a "diet," my nutritionist will try to snap my neck. Anyways, what this means is that so long as I stick to it for the foreseeable future, I will be losing a good amount of body fat. I already started monday and I already lost some measurements on my waist, noticably that my clothes I wore just last weekend, feel significantly looser today.

This may cause an issue for the soft parts I am still waiting for, so we will see, worst case, I can get a tailor to modify them for me.

tubachris85x

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Pics of the Cold Cast jetpack by NME Props! Can't wait to get this in and paint it up!

One of my two flak vest should be shipping out this week as well....

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" *PICS APR 15 2014*
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:44 PM »
That is BOSS  8) 

If I can ask, how did you do the weathering on the helmet?  is it just the black-wash technique applied to get those "lines" of grime?  cause it looks on point with the comic book art.

tubachris85x

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2014, 02:01 PM »
That is BOSS  8) 

If I can ask, how did you do the weathering on the helmet?  is it just the black-wash technique applied to get those "lines" of grime?  cause it looks on point with the comic book art.

Thanks! I'm glad you agree that it does, as it was a new technique that I was experimenting with. It was a mix of black and brown acrylic paints. I used more brown then black when doing the mixing as it's more in line with the needed look. How I applied it, as intended to look "wet/muddy" was take a glob of the paint mix, place it in one spot, then using either a moist (not soaking wet) OR  a dry paper towel, I began pushing the paint outwards in different directions. Doing this created the "lines" which in turn give it the appearance of running water or wet dirt that you would see in more natural conditions.

eagerly

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Hey buddy, loving your build, I to am about to start a montross build.  What did you decide on with ref to his shoulders, it looks to me like he is not wearing any shoulder armour

Also are you going to go pistol less, again it looks like in the open season comic he only uses his rifle ?

Any advice greatly appreciated brother :)

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Hey buddy, loving your build, I to am about to start a montross build.  What did you decide on with ref to his shoulders, it looks to me like he is not wearing any shoulder armour

Also are you going to go pistol less, again it looks like in the open season comic he only uses his rifle ?

Any advice greatly appreciated brother :)
The eternal, ongoing debate between whether Montross has "soft shoulders" (padded but not plated bells) or traditional bells came up a while ago.  Per the CRLs, go ahead and pad the bell extensions, but add the bells anyway.  At the very least, if you do end up needing them, you'll just look like you have bigger arms. :laugh:

tubachris85x

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Eagerly, I actually just responded to your thread over on TDH!

I appreciate your comments.

- First, regarding the shoulder bells - My analysis reflects that yes, he does have shoulder bells AT ONE POINT DURING THE BATTLE. In one frame, he clearly has shoulder bells, then in the context of the sequence, he takes a grenade blast, and the next frame of him on the ground recovering from the said blast, he no longer has them. To me, this logically would tell me that the bells were "blown off." So ideally, since he has them for the battle sequence and the fact that the Hasbro figure does as well, would in my mind, make the shoulder bells optional, since he's still seen not wearing them in prior pages, so to have them or not, would be a personal preference.

- Pistols; I am planning to have these made eventually, when I have some more time and money to spend for them, but my stance is that it's not entirely Open Seasons cannon, so if you're shooting for 501st approval, I do not think it will hold up as a requirement. However, the pistols w/ holsters would be an ADDITIONAL item to add. It's clear in the Open Seasons artwork that he still has the holster straps hanging off of his belt, so it wouldn't be entirely ruled out that he doesn't have them as we see with the Hasbro figure

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Eagerly, I actually just responded to your thread over on TDH!

I appreciate your comments.

- First, regarding the shoulder bells - My analysis reflects that yes, he does have shoulder bells AT ONE POINT DURING THE BATTLE. In one frame, he clearly has shoulder bells, then in the context of the sequence, he takes a grenade blast, and the next frame of him on the ground recovering from the said blast, he no longer has them. To me, this logically would tell me that the bells were "blown off." So ideally, since he has them for the battle sequence and the fact that the Hasbro figure does as well, would in my mind, make the shoulder bells optional, since he's still seen not wearing them in prior pages, so to have them or not, would be a personal preference.

- Pistols; I am planning to have these made eventually, when I have some more time and money to spend for them, but my stance is that it's not entirely Open Seasons cannon, so if you're shooting for 501st approval, I do not think it will hold up as a requirement. However, the pistols w/ holsters would be an ADDITIONAL item to add. It's clear in the Open Seasons artwork that he still has the holster straps hanging off of his belt, so it wouldn't be entirely ruled out that he doesn't have them as we see with the Hasbro figure
If you're building this costume with us at the Mercs with hopes of approval, you'll most likely have to wear the bells, due to CRL issues, is what I was thinking.

tubachris85x

« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:31 PM »
If you're building this costume with us at the Mercs with hopes of approval, you'll most likely have to wear the bells, due to CRL issues, is what I was thinking.

I've been discussing this with the local clan leader, Joe Knowlton. I passed along the same information regarding my build to which he discussed with the higher ups and it was relayed back to me that it would be Mercs approved. There are other conflicts with Montross and the existing Merc requirements which would have to be an exception to policy since he's a distinctive face character VS a custom-based character.

eagerly

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2014, 02:28 AM »
ManoMystery,

Ye saw your reply on the other forum, any info you can throw my way would be greatly received buddy :)

Cin Vhe'rang,

there is a Merc CRL you say.  can you share the link please, I cant seem to find it

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2014, 03:04 PM by Solus Raam » Logged

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Controlled Chaos
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I've been discussing this with the local clan leader, Joe Knowlton. I passed along the same information regarding my build to which he discussed with the higher ups and it was relayed back to me that it would be Mercs approved. There are other conflicts with Montross and the existing Merc requirements which would have to be an exception to policy since he's a distinctive face character VS a custom-based character.

Who is this Joe Knowlton you speak of  :P . Montross like Sabine will have unique CRLs. Since nobody has ever finished a Montross the team hasn't put forth a crl for it. Whichever of you Montross's finish first might have the privilege of being the person who helps do that.

When I spoke to one of the app team members awhile back I believe I discussed the soft knees with them. I can't remember if the shoulders were discussed or not. Hopefully one of the team members will weigh in on this thread.

Official Troop Count: 73

tubachris85x

« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I imagine that the shoulders would have to be considered optional wear, at least that would make sense in my mind.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!