Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **Merc Approved**

• 151 Replies

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" *PICS APR 15 2014*
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Eagerly, I actually just responded to your thread over on TDH!

I appreciate your comments.

- First, regarding the shoulder bells - My analysis reflects that yes, he does have shoulder bells AT ONE POINT DURING THE BATTLE. In one frame, he clearly has shoulder bells, then in the context of the sequence, he takes a grenade blast, and the next frame of him on the ground recovering from the said blast, he no longer has them. To me, this logically would tell me that the bells were "blown off." So ideally, since he has them for the battle sequence and the fact that the Hasbro figure does as well, would in my mind, make the shoulder bells optional, since he's still seen not wearing them in prior pages, so to have them or not, would be a personal preference.

- Pistols; I am planning to have these made eventually, when I have some more time and money to spend for them, but my stance is that it's not entirely Open Seasons cannon, so if you're shooting for 501st approval, I do not think it will hold up as a requirement. However, the pistols w/ holsters would be an ADDITIONAL item to add. It's clear in the Open Seasons artwork that he still has the holster straps hanging off of his belt, so it wouldn't be entirely ruled out that he doesn't have them as we see with the Hasbro figure
If you're building this costume with us at the Mercs with hopes of approval, you'll most likely have to wear the bells, due to CRL issues, is what I was thinking.

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:31 PM »
If you're building this costume with us at the Mercs with hopes of approval, you'll most likely have to wear the bells, due to CRL issues, is what I was thinking.

I've been discussing this with the local clan leader, Joe Knowlton. I passed along the same information regarding my build to which he discussed with the higher ups and it was relayed back to me that it would be Mercs approved. There are other conflicts with Montross and the existing Merc requirements which would have to be an exception to policy since he's a distinctive face character VS a custom-based character.

"You're worth enough...dead..."

eagerly

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2014, 02:28 AM »
ManoMystery,

Ye saw your reply on the other forum, any info you can throw my way would be greatly received buddy :)

Cin Vhe'rang,

there is a Merc CRL you say.  can you share the link please, I cant seem to find it

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2014, 03:04 PM by Solus Raam » Logged

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I've been discussing this with the local clan leader, Joe Knowlton. I passed along the same information regarding my build to which he discussed with the higher ups and it was relayed back to me that it would be Mercs approved. There are other conflicts with Montross and the existing Merc requirements which would have to be an exception to policy since he's a distinctive face character VS a custom-based character.

Who is this Joe Knowlton you speak of  :P . Montross like Sabine will have unique CRLs. Since nobody has ever finished a Montross the team hasn't put forth a crl for it. Whichever of you Montross's finish first might have the privilege of being the person who helps do that.

When I spoke to one of the app team members awhile back I believe I discussed the soft knees with them. I can't remember if the shoulders were discussed or not. Hopefully one of the team members will weigh in on this thread.

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I imagine that the shoulders would have to be considered optional wear, at least that would make sense in my mind.

Adenn Karta

• All-Singing, All-Dancing Spikylorian.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Digging this. Very cool parts list, the belt and coldcast jetpack, plus the 'chuck rifle, are gorgeous. Great job on the paintwork on the helmet, as well. very good job of translating the comic look over.

Official #0218
OM date - 20/07/09

tubachris85x

« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Digging this. Very cool parts list, the belt and coldcast jetpack, plus the 'chuck rifle, are gorgeous. Great job on the paintwork on the helmet, as well. very good job of translating the comic look over.

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments!

tubachris85x

« Reply #32 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Today I received my first of two flak vests, this one being from Ladyghost. I can't stress how high quality and professional this is, down to the piping and the liner. It's beyond exceptional.

As predicted though, my weight loss shows. The measurements I gave initially for this were much larger, and now, while it "fits" me, it's doesn't have that "snug" look I need. Aside from having the mid-section reduced, the shoulders will need to be cut down as they are covering most of my shoulders, which need to be exposed.

Forgive it's rough appearance so far, but I dressed myself up to this point, so I know for future reference I need someone there to help when I put my belt on and such. The rear is not pulled down tight and it appears un-even and un-centered with the JP harness straps. I'm going to also have to play around with the harness. It's adjustable fortunately but I'll have to make it such that it works well with the vest as to not cause distortions.

So, looking at this, it tells me I need to hold off for awhile before I can really move forward on making the necessary adjustments if I don't want to keep spending money. The belt I can finish up, but I'll have to add more velcro to it as parts of it need to be more stable and overall tightened up, again, due to weight loss.

All in all, I'd rather have this current dillema where I can cut VS being too fat and having to start completely over!

And I didn't have padding in the helmet, so yea, looks weird...

-TC

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" *UPDATE APR 18 2014*
« Reply #33 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Still cool to get a glimpse at what's coming. Woot.

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:40 PM »
The belt looks great! and so does the vest.  Can't wait to see more.

tubachris85x

« Reply #35 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:43 AM »
I have the vision in my head...Just want it to be real...

The jetpack should be arriving today. Says it's out for delivery...

tubachris85x

« Reply #36 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:02 PM »
The jetpack is IN! AND IT IS GORGEOUS!!! Pictures absolutely DO NOT do it justice....it has a mirrored shine to it and if you didn't know any better, you'd honestly believe this was actually machined metal!!

It is now starting to take shape...

Stay tuned.....

-TC

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" *JETPACK ARRIVED!!*
« Reply #37 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Fierfek, that thing's gorgeous!  Where'd you get it?  Is it a cold-cast piece?

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #38 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Please excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor  :o

« Reply #39 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Fierfek, that thing's gorgeous!  Where'd you get it?  Is it a cold-cast piece?

In the OP, he says it's a cold cast from NME. Dunno if that changed or whatever.
And holee chao is it ever gorgeously done!!

Eek! The Cat is my spirit animal. Trufax.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #40 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:50 PM »
In the OP, he says it's a cold cast from NME. Dunno if that changed or whatever.
And holee chao is it ever gorgeously done!!
Ah, must've missed that.  I only look at the pitchers, anyhoo. :D

It's a gorgeous piece, certainly.

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
« Reply #41 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:26 AM »
I can't wait it see that jetpack in person. Man it looks fantastic.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:21 AM »
How much did NME charge for a polishing of it? Was it included?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #43 on: Apr 22, 2014, 02:09 AM »
SHINY! You're going to fix that, right? :P

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #44 on: Apr 22, 2014, 07:09 AM »
SHINY! You're going to fix that, right? :P

Maybe he just picked up a new jetpack?  :P  :laugh:

I would hate to see it deshined! It's so pretty.

tubachris85x

« Reply #45 on: Apr 22, 2014, 09:01 AM »
Oh don't worry, I'm not gonna de-polish it, but I'm sure as hell going to weather it!

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #46 on: Apr 22, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Oh don't worry, I'm not gonna de-polish it, but I'm sure as hell going to weather it!

??? Still sad! It's sooooooooooooooooo shiny!

tubachris85x

« Reply #47 on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:42 AM »
How much did NME charge for a polishing of it? Was it included?

He did it, I wasn't expecting it though considering the amount of work needed to polish CC

Am Vindam

• Cat # 0761
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Apr 24, 2014, 01:09 AM »
There are some dirty things I wanna say about how much I like this build. Impatiently waiting for more.

Vagabond Nexu

Elegant Mando's Tea Society #055
B.E.A.R.D.S. #066
R.A.M. #010
Nerf-Herder #004

tubachris85x

« Reply #49 on: Apr 24, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Well, I received the fight suit today. Needless to say, I'm not too happy. The quality is there and it's really well done, but the things I asked for were not done right.

Here's the list of things wrong:

- Color; I requested a dark/navy blue color and gave him a color code as he requested. This is a light/almost baby blue color

- Stitching on the legs; I asked that there be stitched lines to make it appear like Vader's body suit, and to extend to mid-torso and go around the legs. The stitching is more like minimal pleats, they fall way short below the crotch line and they're only on the front, not on the back.

- Knees; they offered to make the knee portion and to add padding internally to get that look, to which they asked for measurements. Well, they added a piece of fabric in the shape of it, but that's it. No padding added, so it doesn't serve much purpose now.

So yea, I really need to find a professional seamstress locally. I might be able to fix these issues, but it's going to be a lot of work. I'd have to dye the entire thing to get it the right color, then find a seamstress who can re-tailor the suit for my body, undo and then do the stitching on the legs properly (remove the knee patches).

One more thing to do...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!