Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" **Merc Approved**

• 151 Replies

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Originally intended to be a "surprise" costume for MegaCon 2014. Due to a mishap with USPS, I was not able to finish on time. Since Star Wars Weekends this year (or the foreseeable future) will not allow much EU to march, I have no real "big" event to debut, therefore I am now disclosing this project openly.

I started early October/November 2013. This is based on the Open Season comic style. There was much analysis involved into making decisions to transition from comic to real world. The 501st regs state that artistic EU must translate into their movie counterparts, however, while the majority of the pieces of the suit (the actual chest armor, jetpack, boots) are based 100% on the movie designs (with the exception of the paint job), the only issue was the helmet, as the comic style is clearly much different. This was cleared up by the former LMO stating that should I stick to my build plan as outlined, I should not have issues getting 501st approved for this character. This has also been evaluated for Mando Merc approval as well.

I have every piece on order that I cannot do myself, such as a cold-cast Jetpack kit from NME Props, custom flak vest from Denise Ladyghost Cowles, the custom blaster was built by none-other than Chuck Bowman.
The Jetpack harness was created by BiggerKidBiggerToys (BKBT- Vince)
WizardOfFlight (Alan) created custom sized Jango fett armor templates as well to help me with the build. The helmet is a cold cast BKBT/Cruzer Jango kit. Will be using my Kenneth Coles for the boots.

The flight suit is still being put together as well. The last few things I need to worry about is finishing the chest armor (molding and cold-casting), adding the skull/belt buckle to the leathers, and creating the cape.

Everything after that is strictly painting and assembly. Since I am no longer on a time crunch, I wish to get this done somewhere before July if possible. Still gonna be lax on posting for this though, but I don't want to wait a year to debut this suit!

I won't post all of my WIP pics but I'll post the hightlights that I have taken over the course of the build as of now.

First and foremost, this image right here is telling as to why I chose to do this. Montross is a large man, much like myself. Those who know me can tell you that being at 6'7" and 340lbs is quite large. Granted, I am needing to drop fat.

So, I've gotten back into it. I've gotten a new jumpsuit and got to work on my jetpack this week.

The items I have:

- Helmet BKBT/Cruzer CC w/ my own sculpted ear caps - 100% - Gonna replace the servo set up

- Blaster - Woodchuck - 90% - Just needs highlights and weathering

- Armor - Based off movie style Jango, just scaled to me curtsey of WizardofFlight-  60% - need to finish making the masters, then mold/ cold-cast them

- Flak vest(s) - 1 from IndyMagnoli and 1 from Ladyghost. The one from Denise is the proper color I need but needs to be re-adjusted for a "tighter" fit since losing weight. Indymagnoli fits well, but wrong color. May sell or get tanned if possible -Still needing to be altered. One person backed out

- Boots - Ordered rigger Boots from the UK

- Jetpack - Cold cast by NME props - Just Need to finish weathering and add buckles to wear it

- Jetpack harness - 2nd prototype from BKBT directly, custom size

- Leathers - made by Delta - complete for the most part, but need to make custom buckle and "skull" detail

- Flight-suit - Getting a different set of coveralls

- Forearm sleeves - Going to re-do these

Pics from the build up so far, won't post everything though since I'm further along

****Rehosted Images****

More to come, thanks

-TC

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2017, 07:52 AM by tubachris85x » Logged
"You're worth enough...dead..."

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Very interesting and impressive! That's quite the parts list for this build

We've seen a lot of people saying they're going to make this costume, but no one has ever gotten this far.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2014, 02:37 PM »
This looks great!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

tubachris85x

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Very interesting and impressive! That's quite the parts list for this build

We've seen a lot of people saying they're going to make this costume, but no one has ever gotten this far.
Thank you!

So I've read. I've already invested way too much money to back out of it. Not to mention with the exception of the armor, I have paid for all the other pieces. It's just a matter of getting it all together once they're completed.

tubachris85x

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Was sent a pic of the cold cast jetpack. Looks like he had the chance to polish it up too!

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:03 AM »
So glad I can finally talk about it! Keep it up my friend. This thing will be so beastly.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Oh I didn't realize that jetpack was for you! I got to see it in person the other day. That thing is gorgeous, you will not be disappointed.

tubachris85x

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Oh I didn't realize that jetpack was for you! I got to see it in person the other day. That thing is gorgeous, you will not be disappointed.

Good to know! It's looking awesome already, I just can't wait to paint and weather that up!!

So glad I can finally talk about it! Keep it up my friend. This thing will be so beastly.

lol I feel bad for having to keep ya'll quiet for so long

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2014, 01:19 PM by Jaing Garr » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Great start vod ;) what do the plates look like one you ?

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

tubachris85x

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Great start vod ;) what do the plates look like one you ?

lol I haven't gotten that far yet, but from my "placement" it looks about right. Adding the proper curves into it really helps too. I need to lose body fat, but between the jetpack harness acting like a damn corset, then the leather belt, it'll lay pretty well on me. Alan did a really good job, since he scaled the armor to my measurements and overall size

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:37 PM »
This..............is to awesome. 

You've put together a great parts list.  Don't know which I like better, the helmet, the custom blaster, or the coldcast jetpack.  Definitely will be watching your build man  8)

tubachris85x

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2014, 03:10 PM »
This..............is to awesome. 

You've put together a great parts list.  Don't know which I like better, the helmet, the custom blaster, or the coldcast jetpack.  Definitely will be watching your build man  8)

I appreciate it! Wasn't cheap to do so far, but I don't think I'll ever do a Jango or Boba because of my size, and while I do like the customs out here, it's something I've never really considered, so Montross is the character for me I think

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:54 PM »
So much cold cast  :o This build rocks so far!!

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Don't mind me! I'm just gunna sit here and watch! 8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

tubachris85x

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I'll scrounge up some more build pics to post in the meantime. I've got two commissions I need to work on before I can get back to this. Dragging right now, saw deadmau5 perform last night...3 hours of sleep and now back at work..blah

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Montross, you say?  His style factored into the earliest design concepts of my first kit.  Needless to say, I'm a fan.

Go on!  I want to see this build! :D

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I want to do the whole sleeveless style for summer troops! Would be sweet and cold! 8)

tubachris85x

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:22 PM »
I'll post more WIP pics tonight. I spent my weekend being as lazy as possible. bleh

tubachris85x

« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Was gonna post some other pics, but realized they're on my other laptop, which has more pics there, so when I get the time I'll snag some from.

In the mean time, I have begun a very drastic change in "lifestyle," cause if I call it a "diet," my nutritionist will try to snap my neck. Anyways, what this means is that so long as I stick to it for the foreseeable future, I will be losing a good amount of body fat. I already started monday and I already lost some measurements on my waist, noticably that my clothes I wore just last weekend, feel significantly looser today.

This may cause an issue for the soft parts I am still waiting for, so we will see, worst case, I can get a tailor to modify them for me.

tubachris85x

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Pics of the Cold Cast jetpack by NME Props! Can't wait to get this in and paint it up!

One of my two flak vest should be shipping out this week as well....

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Open Seasons: Montross "The Brutal" *PICS APR 15 2014*
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:44 PM »
That is BOSS  8) 

If I can ask, how did you do the weathering on the helmet?  is it just the black-wash technique applied to get those "lines" of grime?  cause it looks on point with the comic book art.

tubachris85x

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2014, 02:01 PM »
That is BOSS  8) 

If I can ask, how did you do the weathering on the helmet?  is it just the black-wash technique applied to get those "lines" of grime?  cause it looks on point with the comic book art.

Thanks! I'm glad you agree that it does, as it was a new technique that I was experimenting with. It was a mix of black and brown acrylic paints. I used more brown then black when doing the mixing as it's more in line with the needed look. How I applied it, as intended to look "wet/muddy" was take a glob of the paint mix, place it in one spot, then using either a moist (not soaking wet) OR  a dry paper towel, I began pushing the paint outwards in different directions. Doing this created the "lines" which in turn give it the appearance of running water or wet dirt that you would see in more natural conditions.

eagerly

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Hey buddy, loving your build, I to am about to start a montross build.  What did you decide on with ref to his shoulders, it looks to me like he is not wearing any shoulder armour

Also are you going to go pistol less, again it looks like in the open season comic he only uses his rifle ?

Any advice greatly appreciated brother :)

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Hey buddy, loving your build, I to am about to start a montross build.  What did you decide on with ref to his shoulders, it looks to me like he is not wearing any shoulder armour

Also are you going to go pistol less, again it looks like in the open season comic he only uses his rifle ?

Any advice greatly appreciated brother :)
The eternal, ongoing debate between whether Montross has "soft shoulders" (padded but not plated bells) or traditional bells came up a while ago.  Per the CRLs, go ahead and pad the bell extensions, but add the bells anyway.  At the very least, if you do end up needing them, you'll just look like you have bigger arms. :laugh:

tubachris85x

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Hey guys,

Eagerly, I actually just responded to your thread over on TDH!

I appreciate your comments.

- First, regarding the shoulder bells - My analysis reflects that yes, he does have shoulder bells AT ONE POINT DURING THE BATTLE. In one frame, he clearly has shoulder bells, then in the context of the sequence, he takes a grenade blast, and the next frame of him on the ground recovering from the said blast, he no longer has them. To me, this logically would tell me that the bells were "blown off." So ideally, since he has them for the battle sequence and the fact that the Hasbro figure does as well, would in my mind, make the shoulder bells optional, since he's still seen not wearing them in prior pages, so to have them or not, would be a personal preference.

- Pistols; I am planning to have these made eventually, when I have some more time and money to spend for them, but my stance is that it's not entirely Open Seasons cannon, so if you're shooting for 501st approval, I do not think it will hold up as a requirement. However, the pistols w/ holsters would be an ADDITIONAL item to add. It's clear in the Open Seasons artwork that he still has the holster straps hanging off of his belt, so it wouldn't be entirely ruled out that he doesn't have them as we see with the Hasbro figure

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!