Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Oren's First Build WIP

• 94 Replies

stinkylinkz

• Back at it again!
Re: Armor Concepts First Build
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Wow, as soon as I read that the overwhelming feeling of stupidity crept it. Hoping to go and get my sintra this weekend, hopefully.

Yup! That just happened to me. It was quite annoying though, glad it is back to normal!

Anyways, good luck with the build. Just a tip on sintra. If you plan on using a heat gun to bend/shape it, I highly suggest doing it outside. Not sure if the fumes are harmful, but they smell pretty bad for awhile.

Good luck with the build! I honestly struggle with cod pieces, so I am looking forward to seeing what you do for your first time.

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Thanks, it's honestly my first time working with it. So it's going to be a learning curve, and I had heard that it's not the best smelling stuff. That's why I wasn't keen on using my oven.

Atin Vhekadla

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Yeah, the fumes are harmful (it is plastic after all). I would do it outside, or if you can't then use a very well ventilated room.

Copaani mirshmure'cye ner vod?

Some people say it's "overkill." I say it's sufficient.

Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

My WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73758.0

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Yeah, was planning on doing it on my covered back deck. Better for everyone, plus my I have a respirator with organic vapor filters.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Love the Neon Green ;D and that last pic on sizing was spot on ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #30 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Thanks! They were Boba plates instead of the Jangos. The sizing worked out better, plus the shape is more to my liking.
I am currently looking at my vest, in the talks with someone. As my needle skills are... Well zero. And I thought it would work out better to shape the plates to the vest they would be going on to.

I posted this in the equipment section I believe, but not really getting feedback.

Was just wondering what people might recommend for greeblies? Stuff that worked well for them, stuff to steer clear from. Stuff that just isnt a good idea?

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:33 AM by Solus Raam » Logged

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Just stay clear of easily recognizable things. Other than that just keep an eye out for interesting shapes.

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:51 AM »
Alright, nothing major to report.
Was originally going to use a Death Watch bucket, modifying it to my needs. I drew it from a Boba Fett helmet.

But the more and more I looked at the NME Props Stalker... the more I fell in love with it. I love the sharp lines, the shape. So I redid my concept for the bucket, taking the Stalker and changing small things to make it my own.

And as you can see, I also spent more time drawing this one that's how much I like this bucket.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:00 AM »
That stalker sketch looks great vod ;D

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
The part inside lower cheek is gone, going to fill and sand that. As well as the subtle raised bits to be sanded down.

And thanks, just loving the Stalked helmet. I think my wife might be jealous haha.

Just a small update. Took a side by side of my old concept with the new one. Now just waiting on my tax return so I can get the bucket, tough being patient.

And I grabbed some stuff while at work yesterday that might work for greeblies. Black pieces are replacement parts for a supplied air respirator. Silver parts are: threaded grease nipples, strapping eyes, wire guides for a welding machine, cutting torch parts, and a sanding drum for a die grinder. Going to have a peek again today, see what other goodies I can find.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 10:32 AM by Solus Raam » Logged

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #35 on: Apr 11, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I just threw this together as an idea for my dual gauntlet blaster, thoughts?

Svik Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2014, 11:23 PM »
WOW! :o I like it, and the metal is already heat discolored.

UnFathomable

• Now where did I put that hydrospanner!?
« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Seems like you have an interesting build starting. I noticed the gauntlet with the screen, I just built a similar one with an old phone if you want to check it out.

Ver. 1.2 Smartphone gauntlet, and upgrades

My build thread>>http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68967.0

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2014, 04:45 AM »
Nice. We are getting a new security pad installed this weekend. Going to see if I can do something with the old one.

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #39 on: Apr 12, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Was toying with a "either this style or that one", but was actually thinking of using them both for the dual wrist blaster. Kinda like that they don't match, was actually toying with the idea of a mismatched armor pattern to begin with. Like the armor had been pieced together from different sets.

Svik Katora

« Reply #40 on: Apr 12, 2014, 07:06 PM »
I like it. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of your greeblies.

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #41 on: Apr 12, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Extra parts liberated from my job, used welding nozzles, torch tips, spray nozzles for a paint gun, respirator parts, etc. Just anything I thought would look cool.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #42 on: Apr 13, 2014, 02:16 PM »
cool dual gauntlet blasters vod ;) They look Great

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #43 on: Apr 13, 2014, 02:27 PM »
cool dual gauntlet blasters vod ;) They look Great

Just only figured out how to quote someone... I know, I know. But that aside, thanks. Going to heat treat the tips inserted into the barrel to give it that heated look.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Going to heat treat the tips inserted into the barrel to give it that heated look.

Now that sounds awesome ;) cant wait to see it vod

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #45 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Update, worked on the barrels for the gauntlet blaster. Wanted to heat the pieces together, but do to different thicknesses it just wasn't cooperating with me. So I had to heat separately, then assemble them. I think they turned out alright.

So I will have to use some paint to get the blue coloring on the main part of the barrel, as its so thin that it just wouldn't go blue without bubbling and melting.

Even having my torch at a low heat, I ruined 4 barrel bodies. It was just as if once it started to blue... bubbled.

And for an idea of size.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #46 on: Apr 15, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Wow they looks awesome vod ;) Love the heat weathering ;)

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #47 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Didn't show, but they are stuffed tight with industry grade towels. Then a washer as inserted in the open end to keep everything tight, with a cut piece of card board to hide it. Even though with what I have in mind you won't see it.

Oren-Cathal

« Reply #48 on: Apr 21, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Okie dokie

So, this shoulder idea will only be for the left shoulder. Will still use a normal shoulder bell on the right side. Please keep in mind that it is only taped to my shirt for an idea of how it looks, the placement isn't set in stone. Also, I am not sure I like the way the top flares out the way it does, so it might be getting trimmed inwards or when I make it from sintra heat it in so it curves with my shoulder more.

Alrighty, and here is a general sketch of the Bes'kad I had in mind.

Skan Mir'sheb

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #49 on: Apr 21, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Everything is looking good! Keep it up!

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!