Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vesty time

• 31 Replies

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Vesty time
« on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Soo I actually didn't relize that I needed a vest, and after talking with clan members the one jacket I had that I absolutly want to destroy the crap out of, will come in handy.

Heres a small picture of it.

What I plan to do:

First thing is to cut those arm sleeves off.
Second I will remove the buttons
Third, Dye is black xD

Fourth I will probably wear this back to front as suggested, so that the back plate and cape will cover up anything out of place I would believe.

Considering I got this for free off someone and I've never worn it in the whole of 3 years, it might actually prove to be worthy xD

My Mother is also very good at sewing, she makes a lot of curtains so I will also seek out her advice on this too.

Any advice I'll take it xD
Oh I will probably also try and get up a picture of it back to front and also with it done up.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Vesty time
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:52 PM »

Ally93

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2014, 01:05 AM »
I'll be wearing this on the front due to the fact if I wear it backwards its too tight on my neck and dosn't sit right xD

Removed buttons, sleeves and the little hooks on each side.

For attachment methods I'll be using prest in buttons and velcro.
You'll probably see later on down the track that I have velcro on it for the armour as well

Ally93

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2014, 01:07 AM »
Oh and also because of its shape, I'm hoping that the girth/belt I will have will cover it up so it looks nice and neat

Onto Dyeing it Black

luciferian

• Roos'alor
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:25 AM »
That picture with the black covering up the buttons  it looks perfect as flak vest just don't forget to cut the sleeves off  ;) Seems like such a waste to use that awesome jacket  :P

Mando Rider
0002 - luciferian

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Sniper.

Ally93

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:49 AM »
That picture with the black covering up the buttons  it looks perfect as flak vest just don't forget to cut the sleeves off  ;) Seems like such a waste to use that awesome jacket  :P

Haha I hate this jacket for a personal reason. The person that gave it to me I pretty much now hate so I've taken those sleeves off and I've put it in the dye but I may end up getting proper fabric dye soon xD

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2014, 02:57 PM »
thats a cool base for a vest  especially the little sleeve caps ;)

But i do have one concern  :rolleyes: as the vest does up down the middle of the front how are you going to get it on once the plates are attached to the front over it ?

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2014, 04:42 PM »

But i do have one concern  :rolleyes: as the vest does up down the middle of the front how are you going to get it on once the plates are attached to the front over it ?

Even if you go with permanently attaching most plates, just leave the collar, gut and diamond with velcro backing and voila, front opening accessible.

However I would personally suggest sewing up the front completely and unpicking one side and using press studs or clips to close the sides. I've used velcro on mine and have been meaning to switch it out for a while, tight fitting vests and velcro closure often leads to it tearing apart when you twist around. Or another thought is to lace up the sides, I'd have one side still sewn and then lacings as decoration and to match and the other side as the one that actually opens.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ally93

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2014, 06:41 PM »

Good point haha I had not thought to actually try the vest on backwards after I cut the sleeves off. so once I did there was a lot more movement and freedome in it and in the collar area.

What I'm thinking of doing it back to front like Luciferian said. That way I can get all the armour peices seated correctly and the back plate and cape will cover the rest up.

Even if you go with permanently attaching most plates, just leave the collar, gut and diamond with velcro backing and voila, front opening accessible.

However I would personally suggest sewing up the front completely and unpicking one side and using press studs or clips to close the sides. I've used velcro on mine and have been meaning to switch it out for a while, tight fitting vests and velcro closure often leads to it tearing apart when you twist around. Or another thought is to lace up the sides, I'd have one side still sewn and then lacings as decoration and to match and the other side as the one that actually opens.

Sounds intresting I've seen vest done like that mostly so I'll do some looking around into doing that.

I still have yet to dye this, but once its dyed I'll probably think a bit about the attach meant which way I will go about it xD

Thanks Vod I will deffinatly work my hardest on this vest

Ally93

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Ok so its been a while but I managed to get some black dye yesterday and I started to dye the vest only problem is its come out purple and i have no idea how the heck that happens from black to purple, if anything the black should have gone to a lighter shade

but anyway its a bit bright but heres a pic

But I will say one thing.

The purple on the shoulder parts might work well with the gold and black armour pattern I've got going, the rest thats purple will be at my back and covered by the belt, back plate and cape so it shouldn't be see-able.

I still have some dye in the bucket so I might try to dye it again over night.

luciferian

• Roos'alor
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:25 AM »
You know that purple looks awesome, in regards to the colour. I don't think there is any issue with it being a different colour. But it depends on your preference as well i guess !

Mando Rider
0002 - luciferian

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Sniper.

Ally93

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:48 AM »
You know that purple looks awesome, in regards to the colour. I don't think there is any issue with it being a different colour. But it depends on your preference as well i guess !

Hehe I really like the idea, the purple would suit nicely in my opinion xD I have put it in the dye once again but tomorrow I'll let it fully dry and start to work on it, hopefuly get some armour placed on it xD

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Iv had that happen with Dye before  :rolleyes: no idea why it happened ;)

I do like that purple  ;D

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 06:54 PM »
The purple is an interesting turn of events.  Just remember, there are no mistakes, just happy accidents.  I'd say go with it!

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Ally93

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Haha very true and thank you guys for that.

Its completely dry, just going to put some press studs on the back part and hopeful have a picture up before i do any sort of attachment of the armour

Ally93

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Ok so finally got some press studs to do up the vest which my Mother had to do as all attempts by me failed LOL

I put on the girth belt to see if it would cover up the vest part and its done a nice job.

Also I will admit yes theres a large gap on the vest on my right shoulder side because it cut wrong however the good thing is this. The breast plate will actually cover up that gap so I'm fine and its not seeable and also the back will be covered by the back plate and the cape so two good pluses there.

I'm not considering attaching the breast plates, shoulders, collar and also the ab plate. I have 20 rare earth magnets to use but I'm not sure how to actually attach them, My first though is to use hot glue to attach each magnets on the vest and on the armour but not sure what the pros do

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23 AM »
I would almost recommend just sewing a patch of fabric over that hole on your right side. No sense just leaving it "just because".

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25 AM »
i would cover the hole as well to make sure it doesnt tear down the road. 
I used magnets to attach the plates for my Boba Fett, i used devcon plastic weld to attach the magnets to the plates, then once fully cured(overnight), I put the plates on my vest with magnets on the inside of my vest and arranged the plates to the correct positions.  then i picked up a magnet and put down some e6000 and put it back then put more e6000 on the sides and back of the magnet to fully enclose it.  Rare Earth magnets can be brittle and the e6000 should help protect it. 

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15 PM »
As recommended, add a patch to stop any chance of it ripping in the future as that will be a weak point in the fabric now. However I'd also find some embroidery thread in a nice bright colour and make it a little more obvious if the edge of the patch shows even a tiny bit around the side of the breast plate and then add matching paintwork damage to the breast plate.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ally93

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Well it was a good idea to keep the arm sleeves I cut off.

I can use that material to do that.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Remember that taking shortcuts can sometimes bite you in the butt down the road. :P  Always do things to the fullest, it may take longer and be harder, but it will look the best.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Remember that taking shortcuts can sometimes bite you in the butt down the road. :P  Always do things to the fullest, it may take longer and be harder, but it will look the best.

Very Wise words here ;)

Ally93

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 06:45 PM »

Haha yep so true I should have been thinking more straight lol anyway the vest will be patched up by the end of today xD I might even start placement

Ally93

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Didn't take me long and I've fixed the vest up :D no more patches haha
I'm thinking of now putting the armour pieces onto it later today

ALso I do apologize if it looks a bit all over the place, I had a jumper underneath that just didn't want to sit right lol

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Awesome idea! The best looks great!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!