Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Naakoya's actual armor WIP

• 96 Replies

Naakoya Naast

• "Breathe deep, seek peace."
Naakoya's actual armor WIP
« on: Apr 10, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Because I need to get my shebs out of the armor planning thread now that I'm actually starting to build plates.

Stuff you should know:

1. I'm indecisive.
2. I have too many ideas.
3. But I almost always fall back on the "less is more" approach.

On that note, I have an opinion question for all you femmandos out there!  What are the benefits, if any, of the different types of chestplates.  I have a pretty small bust and could easily wear flattened, male-style chestplates, but on the other hand, boobs are fun and I wouldn't necessarily mind advertising the fact that I'm female and not just a short guy. Right now, I don't really have a preference between the two, so if y'all could give me some of your opinions on the matter I'd be very grateful!

Also, I've been playing around with some steel plate just to see what I can do with it, not anything really serious, but if any of y'all have steel kits I'd love to know bout it so I can see how you made/are making them!

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2015, 10:44 PM by Naakoya Vhette » Logged
MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Profile pic by Rookie Roads Photography

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Naakoya'a actual armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:47 PM »
For some of the larger gals, they need the cupped plates for the armor to sit right, but for you, it sounds like it'll be mostly a stylistic choice.  If you can wear any style you want, pick the one you like best :D  Personally, I'm making a set of Viradechdis's angled plates; I think they look spiffy.   The resource thread pinned to the top is a pretty good place to start looking at the different styles available.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:45 PM »
For some of the larger gals, they need the cupped plates for the armor to sit right, but for you, it sounds like it'll be mostly a stylistic choice.  If you can wear any style you want, pick the one you like best :D  Personally, I'm making a set of Viradechdis's angled plates; I think they look spiffy.   The resource thread pinned to the top is a pretty good place to start looking at the different styles available.

Wow, that looks incredible... I'm definitely a fan of the angled approach!

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2014, 07:34 AM »
The angled approach is definitely something I like as well, but as I'm a bustier gal it would have looked odd on me unless I did legacy plates or something. You've got the pick of the litter in your case so definitely go with your preference :) there's a lot of nice stylistic choices for us ladies to still look cool but also feminine. I honestly feel bad for the dudes who only have the traditional Fett plates or legacy :P

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2014, 10:12 AM by corriban » Logged
Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
Facebook | Instagram
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Hey we got some choices, just gotta be a little creative with them :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Ok, so picture:

How does the plate placement/sizing look to you guys? I'm thinking the ab plate may need to be smaller... and sorry about the masking tape and the image quality ><

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2014, 03:08 PM by Naakoya Vhette » Logged
MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
Re: Naakoya'a actual armor WIP update 6/24/14
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Looks like you could close up the gap between collar and chest plates. Looks good otherwise, but an OM's opinion might be better. The ab plate should be roughly in line with the belly button.

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Your ab plate should be on the top of your naval, or just a bit higher than not. No further than one inch though. Also your chest plates need to come up a bit. Remember the rule of thumb. A thumbs width between each plates. But so far they look like the proper size. Looks good.

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Those look really nice! Everyone else is right, your spacing is pretty good, except for the gap between the collar and the tops of the chest plates being a bit wide. Move the chest plates up a tad (or the collar down just a tad, if the curvature of the chest plates means they have to be where they are now), and you're good to go. I like your plate design; everything looks well-shaped.

Your ab plate is just a little on the large side, as you say. Trimming it up a bit will give you more room to fit it between the space the chest plates leave for it. Trimming the outside wings of the stomach plate so they are more in line with and don't extend past the wings of the chest plates will help the overall aesthetic.

~

Naakoya Naast

Re: Naakoya'a actual armor WIP UPDATE 8/21/14
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Holy updates Batman!

So I've been busy lately and I finaly have an update for you guys...

I need to reposition the collar plate higher up so the weight of the cloak doesn't push it down into the top of the chest plates.  I'm also going to rip up that cloak a bit. Gaunts are next as well, I promise.

Thoughts?

I can get y'all more pics if you need them... that angle makes the shoulder plates look too low- I'm still working on getting the positions of the plates just so.

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2014, 12:45 AM »
shoulders are a bit low,  but more than that they look like theyre floating away from you.
also with a light flight suit dont forget to weather it to match your plates :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I'll get right on it!

MMCC #1254

Forum Lurker

Udesii Baar'ur

• You only live once, why not die a hero
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Looks really good in person and other than the minor mishaps and repairs you look like you are close to becoming an OM.

ウデシー バーラー
(udeshii baaraa)

#85 Elegant Mandos
#20 Tough Mando Society
#10 Ewok Relocation Agency
#22 M.A.R.S.
#07 Mandalolita
#155 MAJIC

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Most invasions trooped in 2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Looking good so far!

About the sleeves, make sure they are fitted enough you can get your hand in, but so it doesn't bunch up when you get a gaunt fitted, or make sure it can tuck into your glove. Just a little suggestion from another lady mando :)

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13
ORB - #091 Mos Espa Outpost

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!