Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Thade Iviin Mk II Armor

• 11 Replies

Thade Iviin

• Regulators! Let's ride!
Thade Iviin Mk II Armor
« on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Hey, vode!  I'm Thade Iviin, and I joined the forums a few months ago.  I haven't been very active on the forums as of late, but I recently started working on my new kit and figured I might as well start a thread for it. 
I've already kind of built a kit before.  It was half finished, the helmet was cardboard, and it was far from Membership material. 

My goal with this new kit is to make the best armor that I can and eventually use it for my application.
I came up with this concept design a while back, and I think it's what I'm gonna shoot for:

I'll be posting pictures of my progress so far in a bit.

Ni cuy' te vhekad cabur, cabur be te vhekad

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
Re: Thade Iviin Mk II Armor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Cool color scheme, is the visor going to be two tone. Or is that just shading?

Thade Iviin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:18 PM »
For a while I was considering having the top of the visor glow like a Republic Commando's.  I may end up doing that in the future, but for now it's just an old concept.

Thade Iviin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Here's the build for the helmet so far.  The base material I'm using is white chipboard.  It's pretty flexible but sturdy.  Once the chipboard build is finished my plan is fiberglass over the chipboard.

This helmet build is going by a lot faster than my last one, and it seems like it will end up looking better as well.  I'll post again when I've made progress on the dome.

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Helmet going to be a classic build? Any little "flairs"?

Thade Iviin

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I'm thinking about putting magnets in the ears so that I can swap out different kinds of headgear.  Other than that, it's just a basic "Classic Fett" helmet.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2014, 10:27 PM »
That's a nice first try vod. Can't wait to see what you got for final :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Thade Iviin

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Thanks, Ronin!  It should look pretty sweet in the end! 

Got a lot of work done last night!  I got the dome built out of cardstock.  The duct tape is there to keep the dome secure so it won't collapse when I fiberglass the inside of it later. 

And here's the armor kit so far.  I liked the chest and abdomen plates from my first kit, so they're being carried over.  I still have to heat up a lot of it so it actually fits my body, but I like where it's going.  The back plate isn't pictured, but it's almost done as well. 

I'm also designing my own customized gauntlets/bracers.  I'll see how they work out before I try making the more traditional Fett-style bracers.

More updates later!

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2014, 04:44 PM by Thade Iviin » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:46 PM »
That looks like a good start vod ;)

With the dome are you only planing on useing Bondo ? coz really you should resin the card on the out side, then resin and fibreglass it on the inside and then use bondo on the out side to make it smooth ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Thade Iviin

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:55 PM »
With the dome are you only planing on useing Bondo ? coz really you should resin the card on the out side, then resin and fibreglass it on the inside and then use bondo on the out side to make it smooth ;)

I forgot to mention that, so thanks for reminding me.  The plan is to do like you said, resin the outside, fiberglass the inside, then coat it in Bondo.  I'm also putting resin on the rest of the helmet as well.  I tried using just Bondo on a past helmet project, and it was kind of a disaster, so I'm doing it right this time around!   :)

Dha'senaar

• Need 'em disintegrated? Get me integrated
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Quick tip.  Thin but even layers of bondo are your friends!  The dome can be a pain, so less sanding needed is more time for the rest!  ;D  figured I'd chime in, I just finished a bucket so it can be molded  ;D. Can't wait to see the rest vod!

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Cool concept! I gave up on the dome myself and just bought a skateboarding helmet haha

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!