Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Specs_Avatar's Armor Planning (Ghes Orade Style)

• 11 Replies

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
Specs_Avatar's Armor Planning (Ghes Orade Style)
« on: Apr 21, 2014, 12:08 PM »
So after going through the basics and figuring out what materials I will acquire for the build, I went looking for a style of armor to mimic/reproduce from the star wars 'verse. After a couple hours of intense research on eras and color schemes, I found my favorite.

Ghes Orade

Seeing these pictures on the forums (thank you for reference Zedrin Ho'Dag) I have decided to go with Ghes Orade's armor style. Unfortunately rumors are that this is the only image of his armor on the web. Due to this it will take some work to fully capture the look while having to customize everything from below the thighs since it is not in the reference picture. So here's what I capture from this set of images I took from vod Zedrin Ho'Dag:

- Modern Era Armor
- Red armor plates with black stripes and a white skull on the helmet
- Red rangefinder with white pole
- Gauntlets possibly similar to Mirta's, some silver appears on left gauntlet
- Leather belt with gun holster(s) and cargo pouches
- Bandolier on left shoulder with grenade slots and cargo pouches
- Triangle-shaped cut-outs in the thigh armor (theory: possibly on shin armor as well?)

That's what I see at a glance, feel free to add on requirements so I can get close to the real deal. I also plan on delving into Star Wars LotF: Revelations in order to try and find more info, considering that is the novel in which he marries Mirta. I haven't seen completed projects of this armor from searching the forums, so here's hoping I can be a good example for future Ghes Orades by finishing mine.

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Specs_Avatar's Armor Planning (Ghes Orade Style)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2014, 01:02 PM »
looks about right, now quit yappin, get the WOF templates off the home page and start building   :P

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Controlled Chaos
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2014, 01:39 PM »
I never noticed what appears to be the built in bandolier on the ab plate til now. Bring this to life!

Official Troop Count: 73

Take it to the forums they exclaimed. So that they can get you on record and ban you for facts posted in a private forum.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Currently on the bucket phase (posting pics later in the helmet section). I may decide to make my armor with concepts inspired by Ghes Orade, then make additions later on to the set of armor. Main issue is not having enough of him showing in the reference to get a good concept of the full suit, secondary issue being the cost of bandoliers while I am on a tight budget.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Bucket is currently a WIP, also trying to discover his preferred weapon loadout if possible. Google is not helping much  :(
Anyways, here's the bucket link: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75346.0

Also, I have searched the forums and came up with a solid design for the armor (thanks for the sketches CDApo)

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Bucket is currently a WIP, also trying to discover his preferred weapon loadout if possible. Google is not helping much  :(
Anyways, here's the bucket link: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75346.0

Also, I have searched the forums and came up with a solid design for the armor (thanks for the sketches CDApo)

Looks spot on.  Get to it! :D

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:33 PM »
So helmet is coming towards the painting phase, which equals me scouting for soft parts, armor materials, etc.
I have thought about flightsuits, vests, PVC sheets for armor, etc.

Possible Flightsuit: http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Spec-27-p-Flight-Suit-2653025/dp/B0058DG8BY/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1399583020&sr=1-5&keywords=flight+suit

Vest: TBA, have not found suitable vest

PVC sheet: 1/4" thick, currently thinking about dimensions for the amount needed for armor

Boots: TBA, the search continues

I took the Orade/Fett armor comparison and mirrored the orade armor in Photoshop:

Weapon(s): No info given on Ghes Orade's weapons. Currently thinking about using the weapon from the picture of young Ghes with Novoc Vevut with the assumption him having a "hand-me-down" weapon from his foster father. Plus, after looking at the picture of Ghes from the first post, it appears he may have a similar sidearm holstered that Novoc Vevut has in his holster. So I'm thinking of the rifle young Ghes is holding and Novoc's style sidearm from this reference image:

Tell me what you guys think, taking into account that this will be an "inspired-by" build.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:54 PM »
EDIT: Soft parts are figured out, and 1/4" PVC sheets have been ordered. As soon as they come in I will start getting the armor made. Right now I'm finishing the helmet and modifying the WOF templates to look similar to Ghes's armor.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Quick question regarding clans. I live in MD but will be living on-campus in Rochester, NY for college. Do I join Falco Clan, stay with the soon-to-be MD clan, both? :-\

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Need to ask a question. Due to Ghes having thigh plates, does that immediately classify him with medium armor? If so, does that mean I have to add boot plates if my boots have no laces? Many thanks!

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Quick question regarding clans. I live in MD but will be living on-campus in Rochester, NY for college. Do I join Falco Clan, stay with the soon-to-be MD clan, both? :-\

I wouldn't worry about clans until you get official.  Then wherever you are trooping you become the member of that clan.

Need to ask a question. Due to Ghes having thigh plates, does that immediately classify him with medium armor? If so, does that mean I have to add boot plates if my boots have no laces? Many thanks!

It's not required.  We only have the listing of light, medium, and heavy to clarify the differences.  Since you can't see his feet...it's possible he does have boot armor...or it's possible he doesn't.  I've seen many kits with either or and they look great.  It usually depends on if you can get a nice set of boots and how well they go with your color scheme.  Sometimes you end up having to wear boot armor just to throw some extra color down there.

My kit I went for a while without boot armor...but it ended up looking funny in pictures with my legs ending in a black boot.  So I made boot armor and wear them now.  Here is a before an after:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:52 PM by Taglar Dreskk » Logged

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Thanks for the before/after pics on your suit. I literally just came back from getting more PVC at the local sign shop for the rest of my armor. I will try the suit without the boot armor and if it looks off I will go back and make the boot plates. Thank you! :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!