Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Bucket Attempt by Specs_Avatar*WIP*Pic Heavy*

• 16 Replies

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
First Bucket Attempt by Specs_Avatar*WIP*Pic Heavy*
« on: Apr 22, 2014, 05:56 PM »
So following planning phase, my bucket is currently a WIP towards Ghes Orade's style helmet.

Didn't think much about pictures as I was working, more on getting it done. Here's what I have done so far:

Working on the dome of the helm

Helmet nearly complete, still needs a rangefinder

After the rangefinder is complete, I can begin the process of fiberglassing the entire helmet.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
Re: First Bucket Attempt by Specs_Avatar*WIP*Pic Heavy*
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:06 AM »
I have no patience for pep myself. It's a lot of work once you get the paper model together. Good luck!

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Rangefinder is complete! Ready to move on to fiberglass/bondo work!

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Well done! I've noticed a lot of the pep helmets seem to be thinner (not a lot of flare) in my opinion. What helmet are these based off of? Anyways, looking forward to the glassing. I love seeing these things come together. I pep'd together my arena pack. That was a hassle. It's still not done.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Well done! I've noticed a lot of the pep helmets seem to be thinner (not a lot of flare) in my opinion. What helmet are these based off of? Anyways, looking forward to the glassing. I love seeing these things come together. I pep'd together my arena pack. That was a hassle. It's still not done.

I think this helmet is someone's best imitation of the helmet in Pepakura, and it was very round when I finished. I had to glue a piece of paper to shorten the width of the helmet, and in turn make it longer because my nose was sticking out of the T-visor cut out. I just came back in from applying the first layer of fiberglass resin and I'm waiting for it to dry. Might be as late as Sunday for me to work on it some more because of life.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Specs_Avatar, where did you find the pep file for the range finder? i Cant find one anywhere

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Specs_Avatar, where did you find the pep file for the range finder? i Cant find one anywhere
The file is from Dung0Beetle's design. Here's the link:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/mandalorian-helmet-first-build-final-primer-195232/#post3054607
Click on the Rangefinder hyperlink and it will take you to 4shared so you can download it. It took me ages to find just that rangefinder. :rolleyes:
In case you're not being notified of these thread posts I'll send a PM your way as well.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Bucket is coming along, took a few more photos (going to get heavy on the photos)

Second resin coat

Bondo work take 1(front)

Bondo work take 1 (back)

Bondo work take 2 (front)

Bondo work take 2 (back)

Q: Why is the bondo can up against the bucket and the brush in the T-visor?

A: The bondo can is keeping the left cheek "even," it pokes out a bit on its own. The brush is laying on a piece of paper that keeps the jaw in the right position because it was bending during bondo work.

Next step: Endless sanding/bondo work!  :P :P

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51 AM »
So I have been making progress, the dome is nearly smooth enough for my liking and ear pieces are appearing on the sides. Soon I will bondo the rangefinder and bits that hold it in order to finally attach it to the helmet. Inside received a second coat of resin with fiberglass weave to help strengthen the bucket some more.

Pics:

Front

Left Side

Right Side

Back

Inside

The pictures are a few days old, so the earpieces are bondo'd on and smoothed out. Still need to touch up a few places on the helmet that aren't exactly smooth (perfectionist in me won't let go) and when the rangefinder is bondo'd and attached I will be close to the painting phase.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:25 PM »
The brow line looks a little squiggly in spots! Nothing you can't fix. But it's coming along great. Keep at it.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Nice work vod ;)

One thing  :rolleyes: theres a bit of a Bump on the fore head ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I have been working hard on the brow line to get it smooth, and the bump on the forehead is very noticeable now that I am directed towards it. :o Only problem is that the forehead is shaped like that from the pepakura, if you can see the spot showing on the front view. Any suggestions on how to fix it or do you guys think will it be passable?

EDIT: Progress update - no pics right now but I'm in the process of smoothing the last few edges along with pronouncing the band that goes around the back and the brow. The left earpiece is bondoed and the rangefinder has been attached. So far so good, waiting for the current bondo application on the helmet to dry before I go back to sanding.
If I did the bondo right and I sand it down well, theoretically I should be able to start painting this weekend! Woohoo! :P I will make sure to post new pics of the helmet when I sand it down for final critique so I don't miss anything before spray on the paint.

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Update: Bucket is smoothed to my liking. Rangefinder is secure but the stalk moves too easily. May consider sliding a piece of cardstock in to add friction so the stalk doesn't go flying down at the slightest head movement. Any other suggestions are appreciated :D

Otherwise I am currently happy with my bucket and I am almost ready to paint it.

Pics!

Front

Right Side

Left Side

Back

Inside

So I will move on to painting tomorrow afternoon if the weather gets better (thunderstorms today ???) unless someone can find something amiss in the pictures.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 09:46 PM »
looks good to me. cant say much at all though to critisize.... ive been having a go at peping the helmet and so far 6 months later i am still trying to perfect it

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I know the feeling Demor, it's a difficult process. Thanks for the PMs again. I went ahead and primed the helmet on a post outside my house and it is drying. Figured I would come inside while it is drying to share thoughts on paint.

Currently, I have this:

image is blurry, bad picture from my phone :P

And I want to make the helmet close to Ghes Orade's look:

So from left to right is my current process of painting the helmet. I will prime it and color it metallic silver for the metal base coat. Then I will paint it all red since it is the base color. After that I will section off the dome stripes, the cheeks, and maybe the earpieces for black paint (I need a second opinion on whether the earpieces are black or red). The last step will be to mask the skull and the rangefinder stalk to paint those white.

EDIT: Primed helmet!

Front

Left

Right

Back

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!