Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Weapon Choice of Ghes Orade

• 11 Replies

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
Weapon Choice of Ghes Orade
« on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM »
So my current project is to make my set inspired by Ghes Orade's setup. With little to base off of (mentioned by name in a few books, one official reference picture of him wearing his armor during the wedding with Mirta) I still need to figure out his weaponry. Disregarding the extra bits that could be mounted on his gauntlets, I wanted to inquire about possible rifle(s)/carbine(s)/pistol(s) he may use. I wanted to propose the idea that he may have inherited a weapon from his foster dad, Novoc Vevut:

Novoc Vevut(right) with Ghes Orade(left), teaching him how to handle weaponry.

Just my first theory since I have not yet touched the books that mention Ghes. If anyone has more details on the lore behind Ghes Orade's armor/weapons, please pass me a PM or reply below. Many thanks!

- David

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
Re: Weapon Choice of Ghes Orade
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Bump.

Anyone have info on Ghes Orade's kit? I'll greatly appreciate any info that you can throw at me.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Bump.

Anyone have info on Ghes Orade's kit? I'll greatly appreciate any info that you can throw at me.
We're pretty diligent here on the boards.  If we don't answer you, it usually means we have no bloody idea.

Wookieepedia and/or the source material didn't have any clues?  That's probably where you'd want to look.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2014, 01:27 AM »
I just recently re-skimmed the three Traviss-written Legacy of the Force books for Goran Beviin reference, and Ghes was around in some of the Mando passages I was looking at more carefully. What you see is pretty much what's there. I'll (reluctantly) take another look at Invincible over the next couple days. Troy Denning apparently doesn't really like Mandos, and thus I would hesitate to take much stock in anything he might add.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2014, 11:40 AM »
We're pretty diligent here on the boards.  If we don't answer you, it usually means we have no bloody idea.

Wookieepedia and/or the source material didn't have any clues?  That's probably where you'd want to look.
Understood, just wanted to give a single bump as a last chance. May have come off the wrong way and I apologize.

I just recently re-skimmed the three Traviss-written Legacy of the Force books for Goran Beviin reference, and Ghes was around in some of the Mando passages I was looking at more carefully. What you see is pretty much what's there. I'll (reluctantly) take another look at Invincible over the next couple days. Troy Denning apparently doesn't really like Mandos, and thus I would hesitate to take much stock in anything he might add.

--Jonah
If you can spare the time, great! I'll take any help others are willing to pass on. If you don't have the time I can understand that as well.

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Also, if you're doing Ghes specifically, etch that one illustration from Tom Hodges into the skin of your brain. His chest plates are different from "regualr" Boba/Jango style, his thighs aren't quite Jango thighs, etc. A lot of custom work involved here. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Also, if you're doing Ghes specifically, etch that one illustration from Tom Hodges into the skin of your brain. His chest plates are different from "regular" Boba/Jango style, his thighs aren't quite Jango thighs, etc. A lot of custom work involved here. :)

--Jonah
I took that into consideration when I first decided on going with Ghes, and I'm still leaning towards requesting use of his designs. There have been debates over whether that is the true look of his armor or if the reference image was the artist's perception of the armor. If you ask me, better safe to go with the design from the image even if my armor is only going to be "inspired by" his look. Thanks for the reminder though  :D

EDIT: We should probably stay on topic with his weapons though, I like the input, but rules are rules  ;)

Peregrinus

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Tom's a good artist. He has no problem drawing Boba/Jango shaped plates. If he deviates from that, it's intentional. Much like how Jaster's upper-body plates in Open Seasons aren't like those of the other Mandos with him, including Jango. On the flip side, that artist got Jango's earcaps wrong, even though he got the rest of his armor right. The earlier ones could have just been variations, but they were still the same style after he recovered his armor from the governor of Galidraan, post-restoration, and in his meeting with Dooku, and so forth.

It isn't that difficult to change the outline of the template before you cut, though. Mostly it's the awareness of it needing to be changed that I wanted to make sure of.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:01 PM »
So I've decided to stick with my previous plan mentioned above. Not much is mentioned about Ghes in the novels or otherwise. I had to make it hard on myself and choose a character that has little to no information, wonderful. :rolleyes: So plan is to make a rifle similar to the one Novoc has Ghes hold in the first post above, along with the sidearm that is in Novoc's holster from the picture because it has similarities to the blaster in Orade's holster in the one reference image of him.

Here's the reference:

Peregrinus

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Coulda been worse. You could have gone with Walon Vau, who has no visual reference. :P

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Specs_Avatar

• Just a farmer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Wow it has been awhile. Stuff came up, but I plan on finishing this no matter how much time it takes. I have come up with a possible base to use for my primary rifle. Here it is:

And for reference, here's the gun I want to imitate(held by Ghes):

Here is a prototype look through photoshop of what I could do with the airsoft gun:

Thoughts, criticism, and all other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Good to be back at work!

OlekCordura

• Family is more than Blood
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Nice concept. Looks spot on.

OlekCordura

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!