Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Adenn Gra'Tuar Early Crusader Force Hunter WIP build [-->PIC HEAVY<--]

• 54 Replies

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
DAY ONE: CONCEPT:

Here is the sketch for my build, so far. Whats on paper will most likely transform via availability of materials and interest...but the concept is there:

Humanoid mandalorian force hunter, early crusader era.
Taozin armor plating.
Scalped padawan braids, crushed/cleaved lightsabers & lightsaber crystal trophies.
creature skull shoulder plates
leather cape/codcloth
Crushgaunts
shin-to-knee full plates

DAY TWO: FLIGHT SUIT PROCURED:

Picked up flight suit today. Perfect fit, zero tailoring needed.

Sans beer gut in a couple months ;)

bringing this back to the front, as tonight is a work night for the armor and suit. might be going with a slimmer version of the helmet, a scratch fiberglass  molded version, as I have all this cloth, resin and mold-release wax on hand and a little time on my hands...I'm thinking something more head shaped...might use a lacrosse helmet as a base, with a little adjustment to resize it to my dome, but at least it already mostly covers the head in a snug and slimmed down fashion. and has some forms to it that aren't just straight lines...

DAY THREE: HELMET WORK:

Here's what little I was able to get done, after giving up on messing with a scratch built. Just too many variables and not enough time to invest...
So I goto work on the bought bucket, taking out the panels:

and here's a sneak at what will replace said panels...

possibly more work tomorrow, depending on schedule...

DAY FOUR: HELMET WORK:

I like the concept of working with the premade bucket. Since you are changing most of the stuff on it that is 'wrong' anyways. Scratch build buckets are fun in my mind. They are time consuming, but I've never been in a rush.

minor glassing inside, so I can get to work on it later, with less trouble with the two halves coming apart...

DAY FIVE: HELMET MASK & LEFT PAULDRON WORK:

There'll be a lot of cutting away and restructuring the visor shape, as well as adding contour to the bucket...you give a little, you take a little...plus some technical things being added to the innards for my own personal enjoyment (aker 1506 & possible stereo earpiece w/hidden mic)

I will most likely start structuring the armor soon, so I can have everything working in tandem...

forming contours on hardest part of the bucket...

and glassed

right shoulder armor work...getting the basic form before contour wire work...

DAY SIX: HELMET MASK & LEFT PAULDRON WORK:

Next phase in helmet contour work is the cheek and the browline

Also more contour forming for left shoulder armor

picked up some pvc and a 2x12x4' hunk of cedar for gun stocks...Going to be doing double duty pretty soon and start building a modern kit with the same character base, just flash forward a few thousand years.

Last bit of contour work for the mask before I go on to work on the helmet and armor...hard to make out the curves and forms, but it looks awesome and better than the drawing by far...the visor will have to be wider on the "l" as the width has increased due to the form of the half skull nose...

****BUILD UPDATE - 04102014****

Just ordered my shade 5 green visor from Airgas, as I am in need of a custom shape due to the width of the vertical bar. Also got some form work done for the top of the bucket, but nothing glassed. Next step is glassing the top and shoulder armor, as well as resin jelly work on the mask.

DAY SEVEN: HELMET WORK:

Wire form work for most of the bucket, before I attach the horns.

glassing tonight.

DAY EIGHT: HELMET WORK:

Glass work begun

Next is the armor

DAY NINE: LEFT PAULDRON WORK:

First shoulder skull glasswork begun

what type of beastie could this be? Ran into it on the way to a jedi conclave...thoughts? Closest I've come to think (since it just popped outta my imagination) is Veermok.

UPDATE***

Building up teeth forms for glassing after the boys get picked up by their mom...

DAY TEN: HELMET/LEFT PAULDRON/RIGHT PAULDRON WORK:

Almost time to do the first bout of heavy sanding on the helmet

Teeth ready to cure, next is the upper mandible...details details...it's all in the details...

Also started the sculpt for the shriekhawk skull shoulder piece

DAY ELEVEN: HELMET WORK:

I have to admit...from what it looked like when I got it (left) compared to what it looks like now (right), I sort of rock, for a little more than a week's actual work. Mmhmmm.

DAY TWELVE: RIGHT PAULDRON WORK:

Started glasswork on the right shriekhawk pauldron

only about 3 hours work, from design to glassing  ;D

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
outSTANDING work so far.   Glad to see another 'glass kit being made!

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
outSTANDING work so far.   Glad to see another 'glass kit being made!

I prefer glass over bondo as fine contouring and durability have to play a role in a kit that plans to be trooped, and bondo is just far too fragile to be used as a composite for overall kit making. It's really only a filler agent and should only be used as such. The fact that other kits have survived as long as they have using bondo as a foundation amazes me.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
This is gonna be cool. You know what you are Doing bro! Great stuff!

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY THIRTEEN: PAULDRON & HELMET FINISHING WORK:

More work on the pauldrons and the helmet. Inside structural glassing on the helmet as well as some finishing on the contours to make it less of a costume and more of an entire piece.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011
cant wait to see this done  :o

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY FOURTEEN: PAULDRON/HELMET WORK:

So, I did some work tonight...

Rough sanded with my handy dandy dremel barrel, then took to them with some 300 grit automotive paper

then it was time to do some layer repair finish glassing for the veermok and the helmet, before I sink into the innards of the helmet, and the underside of the veermok. more shriek hawk glasswork coming tomorrow...

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY FIFTEEN: PAULDRON/HELMET/BACKPACK WORK:

more patchwork before last rough sand on veermok skull

also affixed shriekhawk skull to pauldron pad (using construction glue - eg: hard as nails) before trimming pad to skull form

and glassed inside of helmet after last rough sand before horns go on

and started on oxygen rebreather backpack console thingamajigger (amazing what you can do with a utensil holder, water bottle, a tin can and some odds and ends)

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Nice work, and cleaver re-purposing of that helmet. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
Nice work, and cleaver re-purposing of that helmet. ;)

thank you.

DAY SIXTEEN: PAULDRON/BACKPACK WORK:

Put in a lil more work tonight on the backpack

trimmed up the pauldron base for the shriekhawk

tomorrow I get started on sanding the inside of the helmet, the final rough sand on the veermok, more backpack work, more glasswork on the shriekhawk and possibly get into form work on the shin/knee armor

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY SEVENTEEN: HELMET/PAULDRON/BACKPACK WORK:

Work day has come!

Rough sanded the inside and outside of the helmet, and went back over it with 80 grit emery. Attached horns after predrilling 1 1/2" ports through the helmet for speakers for the outside amps. Decided to go the asymmetrical route with the horns, as I felt it looked a lot more natural and combat-torn...condensor mics will be ported through the horns to pick up public yammerings. Other electronics to include a mini-fan & voice amp.

Went over the Veermok with the dremel and rough sanded with 80 grit emery. After which, I applied resin jelly to get final smoothness to the skull. will sand tomorrow after cured a full 24 hrs.

Went back through and affixed the shriekhawk to the inner pauldron. Now it isn't going anywhere. Also applied a little more to the skull. Finishing skull glasswork to come, and then rough sand and resin jelly coat.

Went into detail work for the backpack (knobs, cooling fins, core plate), before beginning glassing to give it the authentic look. Note, this is NOT the breather hose I will be using. It is just there to give you an idea of purpose. The actual hose is coming to me from Lithuania. Should be here to attach in the next two weeks.

Later on, I plan to do formwork, and possibly do 1st glass on the knee/shin guards.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY EIGHTEEN: HELMET/PAULDRONS/BACKPACK WORK:

Helmet is rough sanded and awaiting resin jelly coat
perty, aint it?

Veermok has been final sanded and attached to the base for sturdiness, awaiting fine sanding and primer filler coat.

Shriekhawk final glassing for sturdiness. Awaits rough sand & resin jelly coat.

Rebreather pack glassed and resin coated for sturdiness and form. Next comes rough sand and more form work.

tomorrow is more sanding, resin jelly coat on helmet and shin/knee wire form work.

Cheers!

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Beautifully work going on in here! 8)
How heavy are some of your pieces with them being all fiberglass? My axe has they most out of all my pieces cause I thought it would make it stronger but, it's actually taken the only damage of all my stuff I think because it is so freaking heavy. Just wondering as your approach interests me.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
Barely any heavier than the original football pads. The initial form work being foam core and wire frame, I haven't had a chance to weigh in yet, but it's easily maneuverable. I'm building on a troopable and aesthetic basis, so everything is in mind. I'm also building basing my work on what looks good not just from afar, but up close as well.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Looking nice vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum
Loving the look!  Can't wait to see it finished!  I am debating trying to do a Late Crusader Force Hunter.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
UPDATES SOON

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
This is incredible!! I can't wait to see it finished!!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAYS NINETEEN & TWENTY: HELMET/PAULDRON/BACKPACK/SHKNEEGUARDS WORK

OK...long awaited update...lots of stuff done, just haven't had the chance to post up...

Helmet resin jellied

Shriekhawk resin jellied

and sanded and set up for mockup (note the no-neck space)

Started formwork and glassing on lower canister of rebreather

Then the helmet oxygen hose was installed

And the shknee guards were shaped, drilled for mounting to boots and knees secured to shinguards with metal plating

Tomorrow's forecast calls for shknee guard wireform and initial glassing, beginning gauntlet construction, cleaning of the upper armor for fitting to set up for chestplate alignment & design, as well as chest plate design and initial wireform (possible glassing)

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
DAY TWENTY-ONE: SHKNEEGUARDS & BOOTS/BACKPACK/HIC IPHONE WORK:

Mounted the shknees to the boots. Used 10/32 nuts and bolts with large washers for support, and then cut and covered the nuts with epoxy to secure in case of possible unscrewing via walking/what-have-you

finished up the design aspect for the main body of the rebreather. Also mounted the on/off button for 1 of 2 LED wires. (heres a test run before painting.

and sketched out one side of the Taozin scales chest piece. Will cut this out and flip over to do the other side, cut out individual scales (3 per side) and begin wireform and glassing. Since these will be fused with leather strapping as the middle broken section, it may take a while. Still have to pick up the leather. But, on a bright note, the scales are more or less flat, so not a lot of unneccessary detail work to be done for these...

Oh, and I finished my HIC iPhone hardshell panel. If you want one, PM me.  Theyre $10 plus $6 priority ship (<--insert shameless plug here)

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
For leather straps I can't preach milsurp ww2 era belts enough.   Making good progress

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
For leather straps I can't preach milsurp ww2 era belts enough.   Making good progress

These will be thinner leather strapping, simulated taozin sinew, connecting the separate chest plates in the middle. (Don't worry. It makes sense and looks amazing in MY head, lol)

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Are you making plates to go over those shin guards?

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
Are you making plates to go over those shin guards?

I'm actually wire forming and glassing directly onto the guards, for a more consistent look, same as done with the helmet.

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
Cool, cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!