Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jorean Bosch, Mandalorian Bounty Hunter - WIP (New Pics 4-5)

• 161 Replies

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
So first time working on a armored suit. My plan is to use 5mm Sintra for the plates and the helmet. So far it's been quite an interesting project. I've been trying to build a prototype of the helmet with cardstock and cardboard but so far it has not really worked smoothly. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for building a prototype from the templates found on dented helmet. I believe they are suppose to just be taped right in but even just after one cheek plate I feel maybe I missed something. Anyhow the armor plates have been pretty easy to work out but the helmet is definitely ongoing to be a lot of work.

I'll be posting pictures as I go. I'm thinking of ordering up the sintra sheets tomorrow cause I already have plenty of the armor plates fixed up but the helmet definitely seems like it's going to be the biggest challenge.

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2015, 04:43 PM by Sulkon88 » Logged
"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Mandalorian Bounty Hunter - My first armor project
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2014, 04:13 PM »
That last sketch is the best one vod ;) but personally i'm not see a lot of mando in there  :rolleyes:

with your bucket get the basic shape put together before you do the cheeks ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Sulkon88

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice Niabi

Yeah the cheeks to me have been the biggest point of contention. And as far as the armor itself the original idea of the character was that the armor was a combination of source. I'm hoping that once completed and once I start putting the plate or even all the templates together that it will look very Mando. Thinking that adding the range finger will help.

Phew today was helmet day and I've found that my appreciation for people building their own kits has gone up incredibly. I've worked with cardboard and cardstock today and I'm still not happy with it in a lot of ways. For one it still seems a bit too big and I've done a modified cheek deal that doesn't link iwth the original sketch but we'll see what hapens. I do still want to put in the teeth on both the front and the bottom so I'm definitely looking for feedback as I go along on how you guys think it's going. My plan is to get the base frame done then paper machet the dome I made of cardstock and the templates. Then put the two together and cover it in bondo.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Thats looking pretty cool vod  8)

When i do the cheeks i cut out the material that is there and replace it completely.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Sulkon88

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:34 AM »
I put in actual cheeks using a deviation of the cheek plates. It was definitely an adventure to get them into place but I think it's turning into something pretty cool. Got about 50 percent of a paper mache overlay done and then it's either bondo or maybe something else.

Does anyone have any advice on whether Bondo is the best to use on cardboard or if there is something else. I've seen people use bondo before but in case there was another way I figured I'd check.

Anyhow here  is a couple new shots. Excited to do more tomorrow especially just to round out the dome.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2014, 03:07 PM »
always resin before the bondo ;) That way the bondo will chemically bond to the resin.

put resin on the out side and resin and fibre glass on the inside

Iv never seen anyone  paper mache a bucket before most just resin , fibreglass and bond the cardboard bucket 

Sulkon88

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Yeah the paper mache started as a way to try to knock out the dome and I think it was a good investment as far as being able to build up certain areas. Thanks for the heads up on the resin and fibreglass. just now debating what to do today wise cause I already put in the timeand money on other parts that i'm about a step further from lol. Anyhow will post update pics in a bit. Just gotta figure out the plan.

Sulkon88

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:45 PM »

REally am liking how it has turned out. For the fiberglass and resin does anyone have a link for how that should be applied? I'm not familiar with working with just about any of those unfortunately.

Sulkon88

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Quick question. After applying the fiberglass inside, do I just add a layer of resin to outside then let it dry or can I immediately start to bondo the entire piece?

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2014, 10:17 PM »
I would resin the outside first.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Sulkon88

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Both inside and outside have now been resined. Plan for tomorrow is get cheaper disposable brushes and fiberglass interior. Now I've seen many sources saying to bondo interior. This is the right play right? A friend helping with the build said that once a paint primer was applied that would deal with the issue but I don't trust it to. compare to sealing everything with bondo. I imagine it will be a process but I feel like it would help to reinforce everything.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Usually the process goes:

Resin Outside
Fiberglass inside
Bondo outside
Seal inside (paint or plastidip or bedliner, ect)
Prime outside
Paint

I don't believe I've seen bondo on the interior.

Sulkon88

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Thanks for the information FreemanBanana. Sometimes it's hard to see the steps people take and don't take on the videos. I'll look for a sealant after I do the interior fiberglass today. Provided there is enough time where southern cali isn't be whipped around by wind.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Best bet is some sort of spray paint really. It is cheap and effective. Not to mention easy to work with and really does it's job well. I'd just use some black rustoleum spray enamel.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I would give the inside a few weeks before you paint it to seal it ;)

Sulkon88

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Really? I've usually seen give it a day to cure and then they do the bondo or they sand and primer and then bondo. My plan right now is to let it cure and then rime the inside just to add that extra layer and then probably sand and then spray again. Then tomorrow provided I get an hour or so of non windy aird dust time then it will be bondo time. I'm very excited.

Sulkon88

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:51 AM »
So many lessons. Next time no paper mache. Only structural material to use will be cardboard and cardstock if that. I'd be interested to see if I can manage just with cardstock next time. Anyhow onto the current project. After seeing so many people finally get to the sanding phase I must say that pictures do not convey the true work that goes into taking what looks like a construct of mud and then sanding it down to a fine smoothness. That process began today after I coated the inside of the helm with rustoleum and then started to bondo. Realized soon enough that the little dinky red accelerant they give you doesn't really finish off the can so ran to the store just about 2 hours ago to get some more. This project is awesome though and every day I get closer to the genuine article and then building my armor just makes me excited. Anyhow here are some pics. I realize that some parts of the helm are uneven and that's also part of the list for the MK III whenever I get around to that. For me I trust that once everything is sanded and painted I will truly love this helm or should I say buy'ce.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 07:06 AM »
You've got your work cut out! Just remember, thin layers of bondo are your friend. You add one, sand it and add another. That way you slowly add to the shape. It also prevents major air pockets from popping up.

Dha'senaar

• Need 'em disintegrated? Get me integrated
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21 AM »
^990,262,937,294,739,917 times this.  Bondo can be a reaaaaaal sarlaac if you put too much on at once

Sulkon88

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Going to have to get together a sanding tracklist haha. Anyhow plan right now is just to sand major rough spots down and then to the thinnest of bondo layering. I think I'm just going to do it piecemeal but we'll see. The nicest thing was just pulling on a my black mask and then putting on my helmet. It'll be a right fit but with some foam interior it will be comfortable. Tempted to order up the visor. But there is still so much to do.

Sulkon88

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Due to issues with the structure and strength of the helmet along with some other things I'm now making the cardboard mold for the MK3 version of the helm. I also cut out some templates for the chest pieces so may post info on that. Kind of a sour mood when you look at your project and just realize that you can do things so much better with a new piece so we'll see how things go. Possibly might be able to salvage the main helm but right now it's looking like it's time to say goodbye and then start fresh.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Sometimes a burnt bride gives the best light to our path.... good luck on the next helm :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Sulkon88

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Thanks. The new helm is already taking shape. Got the visor and cheek cuts done an spent the last few hours fighting with the dome. Really hate that step but I just found a good tutorial so might be able to hammer it out quickle in the morning.If all goes well and I can work out the designs for the cheek than I'll be able to at least do a resin layer before work.

Sulkon88

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Should be updating either tonight or tomorrow with new pics of the new helm. The side got a bit warped but otherwise everything is looking good. I went through four or five of the dome template cuttings. I think after this helm I'll be just making a standard boba fett bucket. Saves on aggravation haha. I'm using the Mk2 as a template to try out paint schemes so might show some pics of that as well.

Sulkon88

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 12:42 AM »

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!