Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rekirts' Glowing Mando

• 44 Replies

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
Rekirts' Glowing Mando
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:11 PM »
So this is my Mando maker concept, though I plan on doing a sketch soon with all the decals and stuff. Not sure if I'll keep the skulls... but this is the color scheme I hope to go for. I know I can get some glowing paint for the green parts, though I'm not sure if that's against any rules or anything.

Syl

• The Ability to speak does not make you Intelligent
Re: Rekirts' Glowing Mando
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28 PM »
"and then one day...I got in" :o

reminds me of TRON vod.

Looks like an interesting concept.

Traat'aliit gar besbe'trayc
KOMS #24
New Death Watch Order #20

On the Road to Celebration 7...
1st UM Troop, hopefully.

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Now that you mention it... I hadn't even thought of that! Also, I'm new here so could you explain what a vod is please? If you're feeling really gracious go ahead and throw some other lingo in there.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:44 PM »
vod = bro (kinda)
theres a mando'a (mandalorian language) dictionary/translation guide floating around these forums somewhere, i can never find the thing when i need it, so i just search until i find a close enough approximation to what im trying to say,

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Oh heh. Guess I should brush up on my fiction. Thanks vod!

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Vod actually is brother/sister. As there is no gender specific words in mando'a

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Vod actually is brother/sister. As there is no gender specific words in mando'a
Brother/ sister/ friend/ compatriot/ every damn thing but enemy.

Concept looks good.  Go build it. :D

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Lol do you say that to everyone?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2014, 12:08 AM »
Only the people whose first shot isn't of them trying out armor templates for size.  Color and pattern design are personal choices, and largely secondary for me within the build process.  I get the hard/ heavy work set in motion long before I start playing with specific patterns.  Colors to be used, sure, maybe, but the actual armor itself being constructed properly is paramount to me.

So, that said, print out some templates, and get to work making something solid. :P

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2014, 12:58 AM »
I started looking at color schemes just so I could figure out what colors to get for my soft parts.  Your paint scheme may change over time as you think about it more, so at this early stage when you show us your plans on MandoMaker we really can't say more than "cool" or "looks good".  That being said, your question about the glow-in-the-dark paint is a good one.  I don't think there's anything in the CRLs banning it, but it may still be turned down by the approval team because it doesn't seem very practical for a battle-ready Mando.  Check here if you want to see the requirements list, and shoot a message to one of the people listed to ask about the glowy paint if you're unsure.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2014, 09:27 AM »
He'll be layin it on thick when you start taking pics  :P :P :P

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:19 PM »
He'll be layin it on thick when you start taking pics  :P :P :P
No lie.  I've never made my opinions and criticisms anything less than plain.  If your kit ain't right, I will let you know.  Given, all criticism I give is given with the best of intentions.  I like to see new OMs come out of the gate already looking fantastic.

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2014, 07:37 PM »
I like to see new OMs come out of the gate already looking fantastic.
FAB-ULOUSSSSSSS!  8)

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2014, 06:40 PM »
No lie.  I've never made my opinions and criticisms anything less than plain.  If your kit ain't right, I will let you know.  Given, all criticism I give is given with the best of intentions.  I like to see new OMs come out of the gate already looking fantastic.
Point gotten. Anyways I've got my templates printed out, but I'm not sure if I should wait till I have enough money to buy some armor from the Arsenal, or just try to cut some out on my own. Seeing as this is my first costume ever, I think I want to play it safe and just buy the armor, and maybe experiment down the road a bit when I'm more knowledgeable about this business.

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Also glow in the dark is unacceptable, sadly. I guess I'll just stick with plain old neon green.

Verdis4128

• Oyacyir bat, bal ash'amur ti ijat.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
If glow-in-the-dark isn't allowed, the what about UV sensitive paint or what ever you call it?

Death is the only perfect thing, because if life were perfect, then no one would die.

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Point gotten. Anyways I've got my templates printed out, but I'm not sure if I should wait till I have enough money to buy some armor from the Arsenal, or just try to cut some out on my own. Seeing as this is my first costume ever, I think I want to play it safe and just buy the armor, and maybe experiment down the road a bit when I'm more knowledgeable about this business.

I was on the same question, but I am all game for going the sintra road. I think it will add to the enjoyment of the build, and make you appreciate it the more when it's done.... Well troopable. I think it was Cin that said a kit is never finished.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2014, 09:41 AM »

I'm going to buy some sintra sheets when I get paid and build my own armor.  I'd recommend starting with the simpler pieces first, like the breast plates and ab, then working your way up to more pain-in-the-shebs pieces like the back plate.  Not only is it much easier on the wallet to make your own, but if you can do it right then they'll probably fit you better than anything you'd order.  If you can't seem to shape some of the pieces right, then see about commissioning those parts.  That's what I plan to do, at least. 

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Hopefully I'll have enough cash to spend soon. Also, the UV sensitive paint would be cool. Really want to get started on this, I'm just waiting until I actually can.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Glow in the dark isn't acceptable?  Lame.  Felucia, Umbara, tons of crap in the Clone Wars... all glow like crazy.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Kebii'laar

« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Glow in the dark isn't acceptable?  Lame.  Felucia, Umbara, tons of crap in the Clone Wars... all glow like crazy.

When anybody sees a T-visor, their first thought will already be to bring the autocannons and heavy artillery on you.  Do you really want to be more of a target with glowing armor?  :laugh:

That said, did you think of making a merc that has been on Felucia for a while?  Perhaps some of the spores or mold that grows there could have gotten onto your armor.  The glow wouldn't be a part of your paint scheme, but you might be able to work it in as part of your weathering.  That's something I don't think has been done before, and the app team might be more accepting of it.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:13 AM »

My only counter to this though is...the clones on Felucia didn't glow and they got along just fine.  You don't want to trap your mando on only one planet...it means less work.  If their kit is only set up for glowy planets, they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2014, 11:34 AM »
they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.

Yeah... 

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Lol good point. I like the glowing plant spore idea... I'm thinking I'll just go with neon though. Or another design entirely.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:06 PM »
My only counter to this though is...the clones on Felucia didn't glow and they got along just fine.  You don't want to trap your mando on only one planet...it means less work.  If their kit is only set up for glowy planets, they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.
That's a good point and I don't disagree... however, I would counter and say there are a lot of Merc kits that stick out like a sore thumb.  And there are canon references to various Star Wars armors (almost intentionally) standing out.  I know I'd outfit my scouts on a forest moon in shiny white armor!  There were even jokes about it in the Republic Commando books!
In my personal opinion, which admittedly doesn't mean much, there are glowy environments it would fit in, canon references to flashy, almost out of place armor I think this could have looked different from anything we've seen before in the club.  Plus it was just plain cool looking.  I'm kind of bummed it was shot down.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!