Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rekirts' Glowing Mando

• 44 Replies

Verdis4128

• Oyacyir bat, bal ash'amur ti ijat.
Re: Rekirts' Glowing Mando
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
If glow-in-the-dark isn't allowed, the what about UV sensitive paint or what ever you call it?

Death is the only perfect thing, because if life were perfect, then no one would die.

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Point gotten. Anyways I've got my templates printed out, but I'm not sure if I should wait till I have enough money to buy some armor from the Arsenal, or just try to cut some out on my own. Seeing as this is my first costume ever, I think I want to play it safe and just buy the armor, and maybe experiment down the road a bit when I'm more knowledgeable about this business.

I was on the same question, but I am all game for going the sintra road. I think it will add to the enjoyment of the build, and make you appreciate it the more when it's done.... Well troopable. I think it was Cin that said a kit is never finished.

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Point gotten. Anyways I've got my templates printed out, but I'm not sure if I should wait till I have enough money to buy some armor from the Arsenal, or just try to cut some out on my own. Seeing as this is my first costume ever, I think I want to play it safe and just buy the armor, and maybe experiment down the road a bit when I'm more knowledgeable about this business.

I'm going to buy some sintra sheets when I get paid and build my own armor.  I'd recommend starting with the simpler pieces first, like the breast plates and ab, then working your way up to more pain-in-the-shebs pieces like the back plate.  Not only is it much easier on the wallet to make your own, but if you can do it right then they'll probably fit you better than anything you'd order.  If you can't seem to shape some of the pieces right, then see about commissioning those parts.  That's what I plan to do, at least. 

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Hopefully I'll have enough cash to spend soon. Also, the UV sensitive paint would be cool. Really want to get started on this, I'm just waiting until I actually can.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Glow in the dark isn't acceptable?  Lame.  Felucia, Umbara, tons of crap in the Clone Wars... all glow like crazy.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Glow in the dark isn't acceptable?  Lame.  Felucia, Umbara, tons of crap in the Clone Wars... all glow like crazy.

When anybody sees a T-visor, their first thought will already be to bring the autocannons and heavy artillery on you.  Do you really want to be more of a target with glowing armor?  :laugh:

That said, did you think of making a merc that has been on Felucia for a while?  Perhaps some of the spores or mold that grows there could have gotten onto your armor.  The glow wouldn't be a part of your paint scheme, but you might be able to work it in as part of your weathering.  That's something I don't think has been done before, and the app team might be more accepting of it.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:13 AM »

My only counter to this though is...the clones on Felucia didn't glow and they got along just fine.  You don't want to trap your mando on only one planet...it means less work.  If their kit is only set up for glowy planets, they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2014, 11:34 AM »
they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.

Yeah... 

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Lol good point. I like the glowing plant spore idea... I'm thinking I'll just go with neon though. Or another design entirely.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:06 PM »
My only counter to this though is...the clones on Felucia didn't glow and they got along just fine.  You don't want to trap your mando on only one planet...it means less work.  If their kit is only set up for glowy planets, they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.
That's a good point and I don't disagree... however, I would counter and say there are a lot of Merc kits that stick out like a sore thumb.  And there are canon references to various Star Wars armors (almost intentionally) standing out.  I know I'd outfit my scouts on a forest moon in shiny white armor!  There were even jokes about it in the Republic Commando books!
In my personal opinion, which admittedly doesn't mean much, there are glowy environments it would fit in, canon references to flashy, almost out of place armor I think this could have looked different from anything we've seen before in the club.  Plus it was just plain cool looking.  I'm kind of bummed it was shot down.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:15 PM »
That's a good point and I don't disagree... however, I would counter and say there are a lot of Merc kits that stick out like a sore thumb.  And there are canon references to various Star Wars armors (almost intentionally) standing out.  I know I'd outfit my scouts on a forest moon in shiny white armor!  There were even jokes about it in the Republic Commando books!
In my personal opinion, which admittedly doesn't mean much, there are glowy environments it would fit in, canon references to flashy, almost out of place armor I think this could have looked different from anything we've seen before in the club.  Plus it was just plain cool looking.  I'm kind of bummed it was shot down.
Flashy or gaudy appearances only work if your intent is to intimidate your target, or make yourself known at a glance.  Stormtroopers aren't white as camouflage, they're white to look more frightening or impressive.  It can work, yes, but don't try and sell shine as some sort of exotic cammo. :P

Blackbird

« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Stormtroopers aren't white as camouflage, they're white to look more frightening or impressive.
Yes, because you want your scouts to look frightening and impressive. 

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #27 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Yes, because you want your scouts to look frightening and impressive.
Well, yeah, oversight there.  To be fair, the US Army adopted the ACU pattern, and it doesn't camouflage with a damn thing, either.  :P

Early clone scouts (circa TCW/ ROTS) had camo-patterned armor.  Sometimes, the guys in charge get sold on crap ideas by the lowest bidder.

Blackbird

« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Very true.  The Kashyyyk guys were full-on camo.  Some troopers during the second assault of Geonosis had red camo.  That RC from later in the series had urban digital camo.  So there has been some attempt made to have armor that actually fits with the environment.

I can see the hesitation to approve something like this because we still want to keep the impression that we're military inspired.  Or that we're elite warriors or fighters.  We like to stick close to things that are kind of drab, scuffed and dirty.  That's cool and something I can get behind.
However, we're still making costumes.  The point of costumes are to look cool.  We don't ding capes that will get hung on brush or fat guys who get winded standing up or giant horns that would get tangled in barbed wire or blasters the size of small countries (at least I hope not or I'm fired). 
We shouldn't go overboard while judging this stuff based on whether it's realistic or tactical because it obviously isn't real.  Most of us can barely move. 
My point is just that glowy stuff is Swarzy now.  Armor that actually makes sense has rarely been Swarzy.  I can see why it might be denied since they think it was taken too far.  I see the point but disagree and think as long as it's well made, fits and looks impressive it can be anything from mint green to hot pink.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #29 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Well, yeah, oversight there.  To be fair, the US Army adopted the ACU pattern, and it doesn't camouflage with a damn thing, either.  :P

Early clone scouts (circa TCW/ ROTS) had camo-patterned armor.  Sometimes, the guys in charge get sold on crap ideas by the lowest bidder.
    That comment reminds me of this pic...

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2014, 08:12 AM by Briikase Wolf » Logged
MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!