Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rekirts' Glowing Mando

• 44 Replies

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Rekirts' Glowing Mando
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:15 PM »
That's a good point and I don't disagree... however, I would counter and say there are a lot of Merc kits that stick out like a sore thumb.  And there are canon references to various Star Wars armors (almost intentionally) standing out.  I know I'd outfit my scouts on a forest moon in shiny white armor!  There were even jokes about it in the Republic Commando books!
In my personal opinion, which admittedly doesn't mean much, there are glowy environments it would fit in, canon references to flashy, almost out of place armor I think this could have looked different from anything we've seen before in the club.  Plus it was just plain cool looking.  I'm kind of bummed it was shot down.
Flashy or gaudy appearances only work if your intent is to intimidate your target, or make yourself known at a glance.  Stormtroopers aren't white as camouflage, they're white to look more frightening or impressive.  It can work, yes, but don't try and sell shine as some sort of exotic cammo. :P

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Stormtroopers aren't white as camouflage, they're white to look more frightening or impressive.
Yes, because you want your scouts to look frightening and impressive. 

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Yes, because you want your scouts to look frightening and impressive.
Well, yeah, oversight there.  To be fair, the US Army adopted the ACU pattern, and it doesn't camouflage with a damn thing, either.  :P

Early clone scouts (circa TCW/ ROTS) had camo-patterned armor.  Sometimes, the guys in charge get sold on crap ideas by the lowest bidder.

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Very true.  The Kashyyyk guys were full-on camo.  Some troopers during the second assault of Geonosis had red camo.  That RC from later in the series had urban digital camo.  So there has been some attempt made to have armor that actually fits with the environment.

I can see the hesitation to approve something like this because we still want to keep the impression that we're military inspired.  Or that we're elite warriors or fighters.  We like to stick close to things that are kind of drab, scuffed and dirty.  That's cool and something I can get behind.
However, we're still making costumes.  The point of costumes are to look cool.  We don't ding capes that will get hung on brush or fat guys who get winded standing up or giant horns that would get tangled in barbed wire or blasters the size of small countries (at least I hope not or I'm fired). 
We shouldn't go overboard while judging this stuff based on whether it's realistic or tactical because it obviously isn't real.  Most of us can barely move. 
My point is just that glowy stuff is Swarzy now.  Armor that actually makes sense has rarely been Swarzy.  I can see why it might be denied since they think it was taken too far.  I see the point but disagree and think as long as it's well made, fits and looks impressive it can be anything from mint green to hot pink.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #29 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Well, yeah, oversight there.  To be fair, the US Army adopted the ACU pattern, and it doesn't camouflage with a damn thing, either.  :P

Early clone scouts (circa TCW/ ROTS) had camo-patterned armor.  Sometimes, the guys in charge get sold on crap ideas by the lowest bidder.
    That comment reminds me of this pic...

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2014, 08:12 AM by Briikase Wolf » Logged
MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #30 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:58 PM »
I guess the impractical armor is only allowed on the more significant and renowned military forces. Then it becomes a symbol. My character isn't exactly a symbol, and I admit I was just thinking it would look cool. I was also thinking that it might fit in on Coruscant, or another city-planet with lots of neon and lights.

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #31 on: Jun 06, 2014, 02:47 PM »
I would like to state for the record, while the glowing armor may not be acceptable, you're pretty much free to make a wild color scheme with normal paint. This would still fit in with your theme of camo in bright environments, while also allowing your mando to fight in other environments, for example a night world, without being seen as too much of a target.

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #32 on: Jun 08, 2014, 07:51 PM »
My only counter to this though is...the clones on Felucia didn't glow and they got along just fine.  You don't want to trap your mando on only one planet...it means less work.  If their kit is only set up for glowy planets, they can only get real work done on those planets as they would stick out like a sore thumb on others.

Might I say that he would actually blend in quite well on city planets? Neon glowing... glow in the dark.... Also it's glow in the DARK, he could do job in the day.... *gasp* on any planet....

Also he would be Tron IF he had glowy stripes down his flight suit.... and he was entirely black... And I see quite a bit of grey..

Also Unless you're planning on doing any troops in the dark:

WHO IS GONNA NOTICE? ? ? ?

Really? And if you do do any events at night I bet you will get more attention than any other guy in kit around... While yes it is nice to have a back story and ect... for your kit; it's not required or needed...

Glowy things are in universe.... So I don't see why they can't be allowed... I've seen worse ideas be approved....

Personally I like the idea... If done right this can be an iconic kit, I can't wait to see progress

Kinda sad to see the amount of trolling that is going on in this thread... and the fact it has not been addressed, or removed...

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2014, 07:59 PM by TrooperJasher » Logged

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #33 on: Jun 08, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I don't really know what to say besides "pretty please?" I want to do glowing if I can, but I'm not gonna argue with the rules.

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #34 on: Jun 08, 2014, 09:32 PM »
glowing kit is definitely something different, excited to see how the progresses along. :)

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #35 on: Jun 08, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Were you told why it wasn't acceptable? Or was it just a no?

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #36 on: Jun 09, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Were you told why it wasn't acceptable? Or was it just a no?
It was just no. I looked for the costume requirements, but couldn't find them.

Blackbird

« Reply #37 on: Jun 10, 2014, 02:10 AM »
Here are the costume requirements:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=14
There isn't a rule that says you can't use glowy paint.  However, there is the quality clause, which basically gives the App team the right to deny anything they don't feel looks Mandalorian.
I don't see a problem with it, as I've said before.  But it's not my opinion that counts.
If you want to push it, maybe type out an appeal and submit it to Ulrik.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #38 on: Jun 10, 2014, 06:27 PM »
A little sketch work I did recently. Not sure if I should go for back plate and a cape or a jetpack.

Briks

• War Wolf
« Reply #39 on: Jun 10, 2014, 07:00 PM »
If money and (or) time doesn't matter, jet pack (and you will have to have a backplate with that). If your going for cheaper, back plate and cape. And finally, if you want the cheapest and fastest, if the cape is big enough that it covers the back of your vest, you don't need a backplate under it.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2014, 07:03 PM by Briks » Logged

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #40 on: Jun 10, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Well I planned on getting a job, but that hasn't happened yet, so I'm kind of at a stand-still.

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #41 on: Jun 10, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Pepaukra is a good and cheap area to start, you can get the software and files for free, fiberglass resin is pretty cheap... not so sure what your parents will say due to your age... but worth a shot

DragonTrooper

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #42 on: Jul 30, 2014, 02:50 AM »
I like the concept you are going for. The glow idea might actually be something that would look really good in the right lighting. Sadly as mentioned before, most troops are done outdoors or in well lit environments. I can also tell you that trying to see out of a tinted helmet visor is very difficult in low lighting areas. Might I suggest if you are looking for some kind of neon "pop" to use led lights or el wires. These can make great accents and can still be seen in normal lighting.

Dirgha'tus (LongShot) / Jango Fett - AOTC

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #43 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I like the concept you are going for. The glow idea might actually be something that would look really good in the right lighting. Sadly as mentioned before, most troops are done outdoors or in well lit environments. I can also tell you that trying to see out of a tinted helmet visor is very difficult in low lighting areas. Might I suggest if you are looking for some kind of neon "pop" to use led lights or el wires. These can make great accents and can still be seen in normal lighting.

I was just going to suggest led lights..I know a few people have used them esp on buckets and it looks great! I loved the glow paint idea..sad it was shot down :(

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Rekirts

• <Insert feelsy quote>
« Reply #44 on: Aug 21, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I like the LED idea. I'll probably be using glowing paint just for kicks if it's the right color in daylight, then have some LEDs to accentuate some of the parts.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!