Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Real McCoy WIP

• 456 Replies

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
The Real McCoy WIP
« on: Sep 07, 2008, 11:03 PM »
or

"How Lucas McCoy stumbled blindly through building his first costume"

The concept: My Mandalorian character from the Star Wars Galaxies video game.

This armor looks distinctly different from standard "Jango-style" Mandalorian armor plates in several ways.

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 08:52 PM by Lucas McCoy » Logged
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Dar'manda

Re: Lucas McCoy's Beskar'gam
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008, 11:05 PM »
So this is my first attempt. I'm using Sintra which im ordering tomorrow. first off i'd like to say that it broke my heart to sand off/paint over jeremy bulloch's signature on my helmet...
blasphemy?

anyways...
heres what ive got so far

anyone know if spray paint darkens any after a couple of coats? its a liiiitle light for me...granted after a little weathering it may darken a bit but
anyway
i'm going to a family friends sign shop tomorrow to get the Sintra, and later tonight im gonna trace out all the templates for my plates on posterboard
what do you cut sintra with?

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2013, 08:49 PM by Lucas McCoy » Logged
This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Shocye Ren

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2008, 12:25 AM »
A jigsaw with a fine tooth blade works really well.

Dar'manda

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2008, 01:11 AM »
sweet thats what i used on the helmet
i got some test templates cut out for the chest plate, gonna basically make all the pieces out of posterboard before i cut the actual plates

also heres a test of my swg-version of the mando boots. im gonna make the shin armor come farther down on the laces

Dar'manda

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008, 01:39 AM »
this is "ish" of what the bucket will look like

Look_Sir_Droids

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:07 AM »
Its coming along good.

Dar'manda

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:30 AM »
next question
i want to fill in the dent on the helmet but im not big on resin/putty all over the place
is there a quick fix thatll stay solid that i can just sand and paint over? and will i need to apply it to the sanded helmet or can it go over paint and still hold?

just ordered my leather vest and chestplate decal =)

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008, 04:20 AM by therealmccoy » Logged

Dar'manda

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008, 05:25 AM »
so since im doing the swg version of mando armor i scratched the first plates i cut out templates for and drew this set...

see?

Corr Verda

• You'll never know what hit you....
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Kandosii ner vod!!! that is looking amazing!  What thickness sintra are you using?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2008, 07:45 AM »
You know what?  I'm sure after it's finished you can find Jeremy at a con again and have him sign the inside of the helmet.  Nice progress so far.

Shocye Ren

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:12 AM »
next question
i want to fill in the dent on the helmet but im not big on resin/putty all over the place
is there a quick fix thatll stay solid that i can just sand and paint over? and will i need to apply it to the sanded helmet or can it go over paint and still hold?

just ordered my leather vest and chestplate decal =)
Get you a small can of bondo. Sand the dent area with some coarse sand paper really good, then apply the bondo/hardener mixture to it. Sand smooth and viola!

Dar'manda

« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Get you a small can of bondo. Sand the dent area with some coarse sand paper really good, then apply the bondo/hardener mixture to it. Sand smooth and viola!

bondo would be at like joanne's or craft shops?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Walmart and Meijer, in the auto section.

I think the smallest can is like $10, comes with the hardener.  You'll probably end up finding other uses for it on your armor.

Riv Serulius

• Yub Yub
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2008, 11:46 AM »
anyone know if spray paint darkens any after a couple of coats? its a liiiitle light for me...granted after a little weathering it may darken a bit

If you put down a layer of black or some other dark color, then put the green on top of it, it will be a little darker.  Likewise, weathering it with a dark, dirty material at the end will give the illusion of the color being darker.

Look_Sir_Droids

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Yes bondo is about as quick as you're gonna get for filling that dent in. It works though.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Looks like you're definitely off to a good start. Spray paint generally won't darken too much even with extra layers, though as Riv said, if you put down a layer of black you might end up with a bit darker of the top shade. I agree with the others as well, bondo is your best bet for filling the dent.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Dar'manda

« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2008, 07:20 PM »
ill probably go buy a darker shade
its just too light for me

got the sintra board today
and the snaps for the plates
ordered my flightsuit and bought some waterseal to fill in the dent on my helmet

plus got the third degree for being 'childish'
that felt real good

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008, 07:43 PM by therealmccoy » Logged

Dar'manda

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2008, 11:06 PM »

courtesy of http://www.atlanco.com/PublicStore/product/27-P-FLIGHT-SUITS,203107500,203314654.aspx
itll be here tomorrow
more pics tonight after i get some plates cut out  ;D

also, ordered my side buttoning black leather vest last night

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008, 11:08 PM by therealmccoy » Logged

Dar'manda

« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:04 PM »
apparently i used too much waterseal putty on the dent and the edge of it looks terrible
any ideas on how to clean it up? sanding didnt seem to work that well

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Not sure about the waterseal putty...but I really like that vest ;D.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Sarim Thiri

« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2008, 02:53 AM »
Use spackle rather than putty, because sanding putty is troublesome as it doesn't harden as the spackle does.

I concur - nice west :)

Dar'manda

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2008, 02:24 AM »
got in a LOT of toys and started putting things together!

so my only question is this:

suggestions please on how to get rid of the uneveness of this putty, ive sanded off a lot and cut off a lot of excess with an exacto knife. any other ideas?

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008, 02:25 AM by therealmccoy » Logged
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Keep sanding?

Sarim Thiri

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I would scrape up anything you can, and then fill the rest with spackle. The other alternative would be to keep sanding I guess.

Cool to see a SWG-type armour come together. Looks nice in real life.

Dar'manda

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Keep sanding.  If after you've sanded for a while it looks like more divots than lumps, then you need to put a bit of spot glazing putty on it, scrape it on and into the holes, and then sand again.

If those are lumps, like raised bumps...then you have a bit more sanding to do.  Use sandpaper and not a dremel tool as you're more likely to make it more uneven that way.

Where'd you get the vest?  The strapping system looks very awesome.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!