Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Eliminating pin holes

• 12 Replies
Eliminating pin holes
« on: Nov 25, 2016, 08:04 AM »
G'day all, today I way looking at my gauntlets, they are manofwar studios esb, not sure of the resin type.
What I'll like to know is what's the best 'stuff' to use to fill in the holes? There are heaps of little pin holes
Thank you for your time
Brett

DrewTroan

• Dru'Troan
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Eliminating pin holes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:52 PM »
If it's pitting (and not a pinholes all the way through the material) you can possibly get away with a high build sandable primer...put a couple coats on, let it dry, and then sand it down smooth. 
I also use 'Glazing and Spot Putty' on all my fiberglass/body work (found by the Bondo in the auto section) to fill small pits and scratches.  It's a reddish single part filler that dries quickly and sands very easily (220 grit works well to take it down and then finer depending on the finish you want).  As with other fillers (like bondo) you'll want to scuff the surface up a bit prior to applying it for better adhesion. Primers after sanding it down, before final painting.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2016, 04:56 PM by DrewTroan » Logged
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Thanks vod, the holes are tiny on the surface and don't really appear to go all the way through.
I'll have to have a look around for some putty or bondo, see what's around here

Cakes

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:16 PM »
For small pin holes you may want to try wood filler. It can spread easy and evenly and with a little bit of water on your finger will fill the hole.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:19 PM »
For small pin holes you may want to try wood filler. It can spread easy and evenly and with a little bit of water on your finger will fill the hole.
Cool, I think I've got some of that around here

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:21 AM »
Bondo would also work well to filling any pitting or pin holes. Good enough for auto body repair, more then good enough for minor repair to your kit. Plus if you mix the hardener in properly then you'll never see those problem come back.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:35 AM »
Bondo would also work well to filling any pitting or pin holes. Good enough for auto body repair, more then good enough for minor repair to your kit. Plus if you mix the hardener in properly then you'll never see those problem come back.

Thanks vod, I don't think I've ever seen bondo around. I'll have to search for something like that

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Thanks vod, I don't think I've ever seen bondo around. I'll have to search for something like that

Bondo is a brand name for what is used for Car body filler.

For those tiny holes also look for something called "Knifing putty". It takes longer to dry than bondo but it is designed for things as small as stone chips so may be better suited.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Bondo is a brand name for what is used for Car body filler.

For those tiny holes also look for something called "Knifing putty". It takes longer to dry than bondo but it is designed for things as small as stone chips so may be better suited.

Thanks vod, I used something that's used in building industry, was left behind after my house was built. It took ages to dry, was tacky for awhile as well. I have got some auto grade filler which I'll prob use on filling fine bubble holes on mow gaunts

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:01 PM »
in the uk p38 car body filler is the bondo equivalent. applied sparingly with a razor blade or finger tip you can get away with very little additional clean up. on a side note i've been experimenting with weathering powder (rust) and when applied and then wiped off, those little divots start to look like rust spots. and i've seen how much work you put into your weathering, this is definately worth a look. ;)

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:09 PM »
in the uk p38 car body filler is the bondo equivalent. applied sparingly with a razor blade or finger tip you can get away with very little additional clean up. on a side note i've been experimenting with weathering powder (rust) and when applied and then wiped off, those little divots start to look like rust spots. and i've seen how much work you put into your weathering, this is definately worth a look. ;)

Thanks for the info vod, I've neverlooked into weathering power, makes me think of iron fillings for starting some rust...maybe rust stain surrounding paint
I'll have to look into it, thanks a lot mate 👌🏻

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Not sure if you found something that works yet but I work in the autobody trade. I use this stuff called 1k filler for pin holes, it's like autobody filler minus the catalyst. Be warned though it's only used to fill literal pin sized holes and chips in paint it's not designed to be used like a filler. Only use it in thin layers or it never dries!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:09 PM »
That stuff sounds perfect, I haven't started on filling the holes on the gaunts. They are very very small though
I did try something I had here on my doopy doos dl44....wasn't a big fan of it as it stayed sticky for ages
Once Xmas is out of the way I'll look into something like that
Thanks vod

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!