Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vhe'dala Darklighter, New Member.

• 110 Replies

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Echo Darklighter MK II. Rebuild time!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:11 AM »
what a noob, stuff like that happens to me too sometimes-you shoulda started using a hammer drill instead >:)
Would if I had one, but I'm pretty sure they'd eschew the neighborly visit and go straight to calling the cops if I did.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Would if I had one, but I'm pretty sure they'd eschew the neighborly visit and go straight to calling the cops if I did.

I had this happen once at an armour party. Not the vops the old lady shouting at me to stop with the power tools at 10am. The guy hosting it just said she has been a problem before and continue on if she called the cops so what. If you are operating within the law what can they do.

Made any progress?

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Hy vod how willyou be mounting your plates?
Countersunk bolts tack'd on underneath?   

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Hy vod how willyou be mounting your plates?
Countersunk bolts tack'd on underneath?   
Bolts or Chicago screws through the plates, into the vest.  I like the "riveted" look.

Edit: Quick mid-process update.  The main chest plates have been cut out (sans the diamond), and I'm in the middle of tab-curling (reinforces edges, makes the plates look substantially thicker). 

No work bench this time, no industrial vise, no plasma cutter, no air compressor, no drill press...  No weld shop this time.  Just a ball-peen hammer, a cheap vise, a few small other hand tools, and a carpet floor/ concrete patio.  We're playing Metal Armor: The Home Game this time! :D

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014, 09:36 PM by Cin Vhe'rang » Logged

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:12 PM »
LOL Welcome to Dresdon's workshop '10 xD

its all the more impressive when you make amazing things with minimal tools and equiptment 8)

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:51 PM »
LOL Welcome to Dresdon's workshop '10 xD

its all the more impressive when you make amazing things with minimal tools and equiptment 8)
Thanks, vod. :D

Still, I'd kill for a decent work table about now... :P

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2014, 12:37 AM »
Use the kill AS the work table.  :P

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2014, 12:58 AM »
A dozen 8' pressure treated 4x4s and 12 feet of stainless steel 3/4" threaded rod, you can fabricate your own brackets for it and DAYUM strong of a workbench to even stick a 90# anvil on  :)

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2014, 10:47 PM »
A dozen 8' pressure treated 4x4s and 12 feet of stainless steel 3/4" threaded rod, you can fabricate your own brackets for it and DAYUM strong of a workbench to even stick a 90# anvil on  :)
Funny story, I've been doing the shaping on the carpeted floor of my apartment, and due to the soft impact surface, I've managed to all but eliminate hammer marks, while still effectively shaping the armor.  Who knew? :P  Give it a shot, vod, see what you think of the results.  Take some relatively thick carpeting and attach it to a wood or concrete base.  You might be happy you did.  Sure, you have to give it a little more gusto in certain places, but it's as clean and smooth as anything done out of sintra.

Updates are limited.  I've been busy with work.  I managed to cut out and shape one of the shoulder bells, sand the left chest plate clean, as well as cut the holes for future electronics (meh, like that'll happen anytime soon), and prep further surface on the car hood for the second bell.  Progress is slow, but still happening.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #24 on: Jul 21, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Ill have to give it a shot on  wood stump for Sauron when I start that

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Thanks, vod. :D

Still, I'd kill for a decent work table about now... :P

You know all you have to do is shoot Kaden a text and Im sure you could come share the garage

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #26 on: Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 PM »
You know all you have to do is shoot Kaden a text and Im sure you could come share the garage
I may take you up on that.

Info update: Echo's Juggernaut has now been sold to a new Merc in Salt Lake City.  Time to find a new one.  The decision thus far has come down to three makers: NME Props, Asok, and Dresdon Acacin.  I adore some of NME's designs, I've heard nothing but high praise about Asok cold-cast buckets (now produced by his wife, as I understand), and Dresdon, well... if there's any Merc I'd trust with a one-off metal helmet, it would be him.

So, what do you guys think?  Opinions on makers?  Who should I choose?

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 AM »
I may take you up on that.

Info update: Echo's Juggernaut has now been sold to a new Merc in Salt Lake City.  Time to find a new one.  The decision thus far has come down to three makers: NME Props, Asok, and Dresdon Acacin.  I adore some of NME's designs, I've heard nothing but high praise about Asok cold-cast buckets (now produced by his wife, as I understand), and Dresdon, well... if there's any Merc I'd trust with a one-off metal helmet, it would be him.

So, what do you guys think?  Opinions on makers?  Who should I choose?

All of the Asok's I have seen look really clean right out of the mold, and they're thick enough to not have to worry about damage or breakage.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:59 AM »
I say go for an Asok but get a Dresdon battlemask or something.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I say go for an Asok but get a Dresdon battlemask or something.
Were I going with a heavier build, that might be the way to go.  However, I'm gearing this toward Recon (gasp!  A BRIGADE kit?!), so the heavy look just wouldn't work...

Update!  Still chugging away on the plates.  Got most everything trimmed out, aside from the knees, back plate, and chest diamond (gaunts are being recycled from the Mk I).

Shaping is more or less done for the time being.  They'll be tweaked further when I get the vest so I can properly mount the plates and see how they sit, but fornow, they're good to sit on.  Cod plate will be bolted together sometime soon-ish.  I won't lie, I'm dragging my feet here due to lack of materials and funds...

But, what's that next to the armor...?

That looks like the beginning of a Kal, or beskad dagger.  Which it is.  :P

Sizing fits nicely, as it was cut with relatively similar dimensions to a Ka-Bar fighting knife, while roughly keeping the proportions of the weapon seen in The Bounty Hunter Code.

Tragically, my fine-working tools are non-existent, so it's not quite as pretty as its inspiration.  I'll be putting more work into it, naturally...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!