Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vhe'dala Darklighter, New Member.

• 110 Replies

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Echo Darklighter MK II. Rebuild time!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Thanks, vod. :D

Still, I'd kill for a decent work table about now... :P

You know all you have to do is shoot Kaden a text and Im sure you could come share the garage

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 PM »
You know all you have to do is shoot Kaden a text and Im sure you could come share the garage
I may take you up on that.

Info update: Echo's Juggernaut has now been sold to a new Merc in Salt Lake City.  Time to find a new one.  The decision thus far has come down to three makers: NME Props, Asok, and Dresdon Acacin.  I adore some of NME's designs, I've heard nothing but high praise about Asok cold-cast buckets (now produced by his wife, as I understand), and Dresdon, well... if there's any Merc I'd trust with a one-off metal helmet, it would be him.

So, what do you guys think?  Opinions on makers?  Who should I choose?

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 AM »
I may take you up on that.

Info update: Echo's Juggernaut has now been sold to a new Merc in Salt Lake City.  Time to find a new one.  The decision thus far has come down to three makers: NME Props, Asok, and Dresdon Acacin.  I adore some of NME's designs, I've heard nothing but high praise about Asok cold-cast buckets (now produced by his wife, as I understand), and Dresdon, well... if there's any Merc I'd trust with a one-off metal helmet, it would be him.

So, what do you guys think?  Opinions on makers?  Who should I choose?

All of the Asok's I have seen look really clean right out of the mold, and they're thick enough to not have to worry about damage or breakage.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:59 AM »
I say go for an Asok but get a Dresdon battlemask or something.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I say go for an Asok but get a Dresdon battlemask or something.
Were I going with a heavier build, that might be the way to go.  However, I'm gearing this toward Recon (gasp!  A BRIGADE kit?!), so the heavy look just wouldn't work...

Update!  Still chugging away on the plates.  Got most everything trimmed out, aside from the knees, back plate, and chest diamond (gaunts are being recycled from the Mk I).

Shaping is more or less done for the time being.  They'll be tweaked further when I get the vest so I can properly mount the plates and see how they sit, but fornow, they're good to sit on.  Cod plate will be bolted together sometime soon-ish.  I won't lie, I'm dragging my feet here due to lack of materials and funds...

But, what's that next to the armor...?

That looks like the beginning of a Kal, or beskad dagger.  Which it is.  :P

Sizing fits nicely, as it was cut with relatively similar dimensions to a Ka-Bar fighting knife, while roughly keeping the proportions of the weapon seen in The Bounty Hunter Code.

Tragically, my fine-working tools are non-existent, so it's not quite as pretty as its inspiration.  I'll be putting more work into it, naturally...

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I thought it was a chest diamond, you were just going to fold it over. Knife works OK though.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Kaden Amas

• Don't do it, bad idea.
  • Awards Special Weapons Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Were I going with a heavier build, that might be the way to go.  However, I'm gearing this toward Recon (gasp!  A BRIGADE kit?!), so the heavy look just wouldn't work...

Update!  Still chugging away on the plates.  Got most everything trimmed out, aside from the knees, back plate, and chest diamond (gaunts are being recycled from the Mk I).

Shaping is more or less done for the time being.  They'll be tweaked further when I get the vest so I can properly mount the plates and see how they sit, but fornow, they're good to sit on.  Cod plate will be bolted together sometime soon-ish.  I won't lie, I'm dragging my feet here due to lack of materials and funds...

But, what's that next to the armor...?

That looks like the beginning of a Kal, or beskad dagger.  Which it is.  :P

Sizing fits nicely, as it was cut with relatively similar dimensions to a Ka-Bar fighting knife, while roughly keeping the proportions of the weapon seen in The Bounty Hunter Code.

Tragically, my fine-working tools are non-existent, so it's not quite as pretty as its inspiration.  I'll be putting more work into it, naturally...

I was looking at making a Kal set for my daggers for force hunter. Going to brigade??? What happen to "I am not going to both with them"? Any way its good to see going above and beyond. Firestorm has a few of us working on brigades now, it's pretty cool.

Special Weapons Brigade, Weapons Master
Mir'Sheb #19, B.E.A.R.D.S #70, Nerf herder #2

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I thought it was a chest diamond, you were just going to fold it over. Knife works OK though.
I have had some crazy ideas in my time, but folding 3/8" aluminum is not something I'm crazy/ stupid enough to try. :P

I was looking at making a Kal set for my daggers for force hunter. Going to brigade??? What happen to "I am not going to both with them"?
Shaddup, fool. :laugh:

At this point, it's only a thought, but one I'm building with at the back of my mind.

Speaking of which, a question for the App Team...

With a bit of modding, could one of these old Commtech readers be used as a comms device?  I mean, they're based on Qui-gon's comlink in Episode I, just oversized.  Could just sell it as a beefier version of it (as it averages a quarter of the price used on eBay than the base for the original prop- trying to be frugal, here).

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:15 PM »
If it IS troopable, I still have mine. Maybe add in a little greeb to be a holo emitter.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #34 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Be Carful with the Kal.  I had a friend told he couldn't carry a prop knife with him into a con because it was metal (it was a theatrical prop so it had dulled edges and a rounded point).  He had to leave it at the weapons check and get it at the end of the day. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Yeeeea metal blades are misunderstoood....when people hear 'metal blade' they  either think of MetalBladeRecords that publish Slayer and AmonAmarth songs, OR they think of a deadly weapon (usually the latter over the prior) :/

Soooo Id say do like I did for Vix' gauntlet vibroblade, make the edge go only halfway, once it reaches the center just make it round, if people start osik about it just tell them its supposed to be a tool like Boba's  shin pocket tools(actually that might be a good idea, keep it close to some 'tool's on your belt and you can pass that off fairly easily(Im  sure we can come up with survival tools a mando would carry)

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #36 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Yeeeea metal blades are misunderstoood....when people hear 'metal blade' they  either think of MetalBladeRecords that publish Slayer and AmonAmarth songs, OR they think of a deadly weapon (usually the latter over the prior) :/

Soooo Id say do like I did for Vix' gauntlet vibroblade, make the edge go only halfway, once it reaches the center just make it round, if people start osik about it just tell them its supposed to be a tool like Boba's  shin pocket tools(actually that might be a good idea, keep it close to some 'tool's on your belt and you can pass that off fairly easily(Im  sure we can come up with survival tools a mando would carry)
I've gotten pretty far telling con staff to suck it when it comes to my weapons.  Hasn't backfired yet, and my Verpines are notoriously big and heavy (blah blah, could cause physical harm, blah blah).  Hand-waving and half-hearted excuses are the way to go.  That, and I'll integrate some way to zip-tie it to whatever sheath I'll have made for it.  Make everybody happy, healthy, and less paranoid that the broad-shouldered, angry veteran covered in tattoos and encased in solid steel plates doesn't have the ability to pull out a shaped, dull aluminum bar, 'cause it might harm someone (as opposed to the rest of me).  Priorities are a thing, you know.

And a knife is a tool, like a can opener for people! :D

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #37 on: Jul 27, 2014, 11:53 PM »
sometimes its a lost cause argueing with people about that stuff though-all they hear is metal and they start :l

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2014, 12:10 AM »
sometimes its a lost cause argueing with people about that stuff though-all they hear is metal and they start :l
I specify aluminum.  They think soda cans and aluminum foil, innocuous and thin things.  "Is it metal?" "No, it's aluminum."  Give it a shot. :D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #39 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:15 AM »
ok Ill say "Its just aluminum"

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #40 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:08 AM »
I specify aluminum.  They think soda cans and aluminum foil, innocuous and thin things.  "Is it metal?" "No, it's aluminum."  Give it a shot. :D

I both respect this tactic and weep for the level of education that allows you to get away with it.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #41 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I both respect this tactic and weep for the level of education that allows you to get away with it.
Don't fault me for throwing around my superior intellect to get petty functionaries off of my back. :D

Kaden Amas

• Don't do it, bad idea.
  • Awards Special Weapons Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #42 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Don't fault me for throwing around my superior intellect to get petty functionaries off of my back. :D

I couldnt even read that with a straight face. Have you found a new bucket yet?

Special Weapons Brigade, Weapons Master
Mir'Sheb #19, B.E.A.R.D.S #70, Nerf herder #2

Zekk Voss

• Talyc-Cuyan, the crack-shot speed junkie Mando
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #43 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Are you going to try to make parts of your gun metal?  I know you said you didn't have precision tools, but that would kick shebs.

Knowing that con security is really that silly makes me worry about how they may treat your gear when they confiscate it...

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM by Zekk Voss » Logged

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #44 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:59 AM »
My underslung cannon is all metal. Its all about finding the right base and attachment method for barrels and greebs, etc  8)

Cin's a smart guy, I'm sure he can come up with something cool ;)

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #45 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I couldnt even read that with a straight face. Have you found a new bucket yet?
Asok Cold Cast Boba.  I'll have to fill in the dent, but I've heard wonderful things about their lids.

Are you going to try to make parts of your gun metal?  I know you said you didn't have precision tools, but that would kick shebs.

Knowing that con security is really that silly makes me worry about how they may treat your gear when they confiscate it...
I have a "cold dead hands" policy with my gear.  No one touches it without my permission.  I'd sooner store my pieces in my car than let one of those scrubs put their dirty mitts on them.

As for the blaster, I have some ideas for the future (when I get a better, higher-paying job), but for now I'm sticking with the trusty ol' Echo Special- my Hasbro EE-3 mod.  That, and my Sharpshooter rifle built off an MP5 frame will do for now.

My underslung cannon is all metal. Its all about finding the right base and attachment method for barrels and greebs, etc  8)

Cin's a smart guy, I'm sure he can come up with something cool ;)
When was I ever one to let you guys down? ;)

Zekk Voss

• Talyc-Cuyan, the crack-shot speed junkie Mando
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #46 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I have a "cold dead hands" policy with my gear.  No one touches it without my permission.  I'd sooner store my pieces in my car than let one of those scrubs put their dirty mitts on them.

As for the blaster, I have some ideas for the future (when I get a better, higher-paying job), but for now I'm sticking with the trusty ol' Echo Special- my Hasbro EE-3 mod.  That, and my Sharpshooter rifle built off an MP5 frame will do for now.
When was I ever one to let you guys down? ;)

I'll probably treat my gear the same way.  I've heard about what the TSA has done with people's gear, and I definitely don't want it replicated on mine. 
I'm hopping between places personally when it comes to my weapon selection, although I do know for a fact that I've got to get a DP-28 LMG as a base for my rifle.  There is a shop nearby that makes rubber replicas that are very accurate, but I haven't got a quote from them yet.  How does that MP5 look?  I've got one myself, although I actually still use it for airsoft so it isn't likely that I'll be slapping greeblies on it any time soon.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #47 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Yes we don't like to put our toys up for the  public to play with for good reason lol-time invested hurts more than money invested

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #48 on: Aug 01, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Yes we don't like to put our toys up for the  public to play with for good reason lol-time invested hurts more than money invested
Best believe it.  :P

In other news, started work on the back plate.  God, I hate back plates...

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #49 on: Aug 02, 2014, 12:55 AM »
Ikr....you gota hammer it out, then you gota make sure both sides are the same, then you gota planish it and recheck its the same,  then you gota surface it, then you gota check both sides are the same

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!