Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

NegativeEleven's mando / almost there

• 50 Replies

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
NegativeEleven's mando / almost there
« on: Jul 22, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Ok, so it's getting close. I told a few mandos 18 months ago that I'd be building a mando as soon as I finished my Biker Scout. I finished the scout 12 months ago, then procrastinated for about 6 months because I wanted to build my own helmet before starting on the rest of the suit. So here I am now. I still need to finish gauntlets, knees and backplate. Gauntlets are about 75% done. In fact, I could just paint and pad the insides and they'd be passable, but I want some details on there and haven't decided what those will be. For knees, I might just add straps to my homemade Darth Vader shoulders (vac-formed over a hardhat).

You can't see in this pic, but I have a back collar, so the backplate won't be that tough to add. I'm actually thinking about attaching it to the back collar with a hinge for more mobility.

I've never seen the ab plate split on any other mandos. I've seen them layered, but never with gaps between parts. Since that's the part of my Boba Fett that is always fighting me and keeping me from moving, I thought this would make the costume more mobile. When trooping with Mandos, I am always quick to help put the ab plate back in place when it inevitably pops loose at the top. I hope this little change to the armor approve-able.

The ammo belt is Vietnam era military compass pouches. I'm in a Cobra costuming group with a guy who has tons of old military surplus like this if anyone is interested. My helmet is about 60% built on the Cobra Viper helmets I slush-cast myself. Cod-piece was vac-formed (one of the few vac molds I have that works right) and the rest of the armor is sintra.

I'll post pics of my gauntlets in progress here instead of in the gaunt sub-forum because there's nothing special about em so far. They're made from the Fett right gaunt bottom clamshell pattern and a freestyled pattern for the tops. Simple hardware hinges and they close with magnets, although I might add some velcro for strength after trying them on. I am kinda stuck on what color to make them. There's 2 greys, yellow and red on the armor. Yellow and red would be pre-pro Boba, but all grey would look like Jango and be kinda boring. I don't see a lot of interesting paint jobs on gauntlets, so I'm kinda afraid to try something different. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2015, 01:11 AM by NegativeEleven » Logged
MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: NegativeEleven's mando / hope to finish by DragonCon
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2014, 12:07 AM »
Quick update on gauntlets: I stopped painting because I realized I'd want something more than just armor and I think I have enough time to knock out something interesting enough. I asked up in the gauntlets sub-forum and with the answer "yes it's allowed," I cast some tactical rails from an M16 to cover rivets from the hinges and make adding weapons easy for now. I will build something I'm proud of to permanently attach in the future, but for DragonCon (only a month away), I think removable stuff like scope/flashlight is the way to go.

I gotta do these, backplate and knees. It would be smarter to build all and then paint at the same time. I can see the finish line!

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I'm liking the looks of this. The visor area on your helmet looks pretty large but that's personal choice as long as no one can see into it. If you can get some pics up here with the plates on you so we can give you advice one the sizing.

NegativeEleven

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2014, 10:26 PM »
My post over in the introductions forum has this pic from my May 4th party. It was my fourth annual Star Wars Day, wore this unfinished because I wanted to have a new costume cuz I'd worn Fett twice and Scout once.

Those pics probably are not a good reference because I have a newer vest now (also worked a lot more on the Valken-38 - Dengar's ESB rifle since this pic). I forgot to wash the cloth before I made the last one and it shrank a lot in the wash. I started over with a new vest and fitted the armor plates about the same way. I'm close to the size of the mannequin, so this should be how it looks on me. I'm pretty confident about how it goes. I've done 2 sets of Boba Fett armor for myself on 3 different vests (Batninja and homemade) over the last 4 years.

I'm gonna work on the backplate a little before I try it on again.  I'm gonna leave the back collar and maybe hinge backplate underneath it so that it is a little more mobile than my Boba Fett.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I can dig it.  ;D
And good luck with the back plate.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

NegativeEleven

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Drako, were you implying my helmet may not be approved because the visor is too large? I guess I was spoiled by my Cobra Viper. After 2 years costuming as Boba Fett, the Viper helmet is a dream-come-true as far as visibility!

I was really digging the mirrored visor idea too (since that tint comes on a 3ft x 30ft roll). I watched one mando painting her helmet, with the "t" section painted black and immediately thought, "she's gonna regret that when she puts the dark tinted visor in and it blends in with that black, losing part of the iconic look of the Fett helmet." So I suggested mirror tint to her (she decided to repaint the helmet instead) and that idea stuck with me: black helmet trim, mirror lens.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2014, 02:06 AM »
No, not at all. I just meant that the visor looked large to me but that's personal choice. As long as it still has a T shape or is obviously mandalorian design you can do pretty much what ever. Also I totally back the mirrored visor, I think it's a much cooler choice than plain black (again, personal choice). Also I have an alternative to the tint if you're interested. It's probably cheaper and definitely quicker. PM if you're interested.

NegativeEleven

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Ok, got all the colors on the backplate. I'm hoping that masking tape doesn't pull up the bottom layers because as you can see above, lining up that design on all the pieces is tough. Here it is primered. The top piece is gonna be riveted to the back collar I've already got on my kit. There's a hinge between these 2 pieces so it allows for a little movement.

For knees, I made the same thing I did for shoulders on the Darth Vader bust in my living room.

For Vader, that's .09 black haircell ABS, but I don't have any of that on hand right now. What I have is clear .04 PETG, which is a very different material. I kinda like it. It seems to have more flex to it that ABS. It's what they make most commercial bottles (drinks, medicine, etc) out of. For the shape, I use a standard hardhat from Lowes.

I'm gonna put black car door trim around the rough outer edge like I did with the Vader shoulders.

And I'm planning to mount these temporarily on the knee-high boots I am building for my Cobra Viper.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

NegativeEleven

« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Oh, and I'll post these here even though they're in the gauntlets sub-forum as well...

The 2 piece ab plate (pic in first post)... I was looking for some feedback on that. Is that allowed? I've seen them layered, but never split like mine. I just know the top snap on the ab plate on my Boba Fett was always one of the things that made movement in the armor difficult and thought this was a creative workaround that still kept the feel of the original.

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 03:17 PM by Jaing Garr » Logged
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

NegativeEleven

« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Thanks to Kitala-Enby's build thread for the idea to use my old punk leather jacket spikes instead of rivets on the backplate. I might throw some spikes like that where the rivets are connecting the collar front/back. Right now, those are steel rivets with steel washers in the front collar (not connecting the 2), there's velcro there, but also magnets in the back collar that line up with the rivets in the front collar. For the paintjob, I think I got the lines about right and I should be able to cover up some of that overspray when I make it dirty.

There's a hinge between the lower two pieces so it allows for a little bit of movement. I'm probably gonna add some large snaps under the ribs and maybe some velcro near the shoulder blades.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I like the yellow and grey ontop of the seafoamy green. The segmented ab plate is unique and I like it too.

Just a word of warning before the mods come in here. Don't double or triple post, if nobody has commented since you last posted just update that last post with your new pics/info. I see the last three have been you all today, I would wait a day or two with no action on your thread before making a new post instead of modifying.

NegativeEleven

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Tried it all on today. The gauntlets don't want to stay closed, so I'll be replacing the regular magnets with rare earth magnets this weekend. I'll probably add some velcro too. The knees here are gonna be covered by the vac-formed ones I painted up. I want those removable though because I'm using these vinyl wrapped knee-high boots for my Cobra Viper costume in the parade at DragonCon. I am also having some issues with the cod/belt combo. I putt a couple of beltloops on the suit, but they're a little high. I need to move them down and run the cod thru the loops too, so the belt stays on top of the cod. I'm thinking the ab plate looks a little narrow. I don't know what I can do about that in a week, but everything up top seems to fit well, moves well, doesn't pop off.

If I had another person here to take pics, I would have gotten my blinking red mando belt buckle thingie in the pic along with the holster with DL-44... they're on the right side. Should have gotten a better pic of boots and backplate. Maybe this weekend if I have time betwwen crafting sessions.

I still gotta work on helmet padding and wiring a fan in there. That's in addition to 3 other costume projects that are nearly complete.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I like the plates ;) they look cool  8)

Im not a fan of the knees  :-X they look like sports armour witch is not allowed.

Your bucket  :rolleyes: have you run it past the app team ?

I ask coz that Visor does look Very wide to me  ???

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

NegativeEleven

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I know the knees in my last pic are a dirtbike knee/shin combo that I got at CycleGear. The vac-formed knees that I painted blue/grey and red sit on top of the sports armor looking pads. I added velcro the other day and an elastic strap around the leg to hold them in place. I'm gonna toss those light grey boots from my May 4th party (professional looking pictures in my August 1st post) in the box for DragonCon, just in case the vinyl wrapped combat boots don't hold up for the whole weekend. The flightsuit needs to be run thru the wash/dryer a few times and I dusted it with some light colored spray paint for weathering. I'm gonna do another test fitting later today (that's tomorrow to me, since I'm about to go to bed here at 7am). Hope I have time to post more pics before I go to work in the evening.

I haven't really posted pictures of the helmet by itself yet. I will do that after DragonCon when I finalize stuff for applying. I'll be sure to drop by the table and see what the folks there think of it. I should really sign up for 501st table duty as well.

--------------------
New fitting pictures. Last chance to do this before con. I'm still not happy with the belt or the knees, but it'll have to do or I'll be repairing in the hotel room. I can't wait to meet you all!

I'm excited to try out the rear view mirrors on the gauntlets. I keep patting myself on the back for adapting that from the real NASA astronauts' suits.

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2014, 08:21 PM by NegativeEleven » Logged
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Ally93

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:55 AM »
First thing I noticed was the visor as well, it does look wide compared to most t-visor shapes so yeah I would check up with app team about it.

But this kit looks super awesome, defiantly adding to my bookmarks :D

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

NegativeEleven

« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I had a great time soaking this thing in sweat last weekend! I dropped by the table Friday and was a little saddened by the response. The mercs seemed cold and only offered complaints about my build. I couldn't argue with the criticism that I needed to cover that gap between belt and bottom of vest. So when I came back Sunday with my ammo belt moved up and a belt from another costume down on the codpiece, along with a few other minor changes, the response (from different mercs) was almost altogether positive. I'm real happy. As soon as I figure out how to get pics from my phone onto my website (I usually use a simple FTP client, guess I'll need to actually upload to my gallery), I'll post some here. Then in a week or so, I'm gonna get some official pictures taken and submit!

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Hope to see this finished soon, vod. Good luck. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Sorry for the cold reception the first time vod. I'm glad you got things sorted and had a good time though :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:12 PM »
I had a great time soaking this thing in sweat last weekend! I dropped by the table Friday and was a little saddened by the response. The mercs seemed cold and only offered complaints about my build. I couldn't argue with the criticism that I needed to cover that gap between belt and bottom of vest. So when I came back Sunday with my ammo belt moved up and a belt from another costume down on the codpiece, along with a few other minor changes, the response (from different mercs) was almost altogether positive. I'm real happy. As soon as I figure out how to get pics from my phone onto my website (I usually use a simple FTP client, guess I'll need to actually upload to my gallery), I'll post some here. Then in a week or so, I'm gonna get some official pictures taken and submit!

The cold response could have just been who you were talking with at the time. Generally, OMs are pretty positive about ANY work toward a kit, OM or otherwise.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

NegativeEleven

« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:14 PM »

There I am in the middle. 

And here I am with Pierre Bernard, from Conan! I was about to tell this guy he looked like Pierre Bernard, when I noticed his badge had his name on it. After someone took the picture with my phone, he asked them to get one with his camera! Win!

Edit:and to Omega,  I will try to get my vac-form rifle parts and viper helmets up in the trade forum in a couple of days.

Edit2: Well, maybe not Viper helmets. I think I just got an order for 6 of them for the Dreadnoks who were in the parade. They wanna increase the number of unnamed Cobras.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2014, 10:03 PM by NegativeEleven » Logged
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

NegativeEleven

« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2014, 09:02 PM »

Took some pictures yesterday to submit. I'm pretty sure there's some things that won't pass, but I'm just happy to get the process started. I gotta pick out the ones that aren't blurry and get those sent in tomorrow or Monday.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Ha ha. It's the guy who shows off his knee plates! Ha. I'm the western mando fyi. The tan one in the far left of the first pic.

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

NegativeEleven

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2014, 03:16 AM »
Yeah, honestly, I'm glad that worked out at DragonCon. It would have been embarrassing if they'd just cracked on me. I never tried that before. I am going to try vac-forming some more stuff with this clear PETG. It seems to have much more give than ABS, Styrene or HIPS. Less chance of breaking when you put some pressure on it.

I still gotta find a better way to attach the knees to the boots without the grey outline of the sports guards behind them showing. Also, I didn't realize how much the backplate was rising up behind my ribs when I knelt. It looks better standing straight up!

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2014, 06:04 AM »
Trail and error buddy. That happens. That's what it's all about. Finding out what works best and make it better.

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

NegativeEleven

« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Wore the mando out on Halloween with my girlfriend. She hasn't put any more work into hers, but I've been tinkering with armor placement a little. I broke the collar and with no time to make a new one, glued it back together and wrapped yellow cotton strapping around to hide the crack. I got some thick clear vinyl sewn under the ab/chest plates to make them sit still. I am going to trim a little off the plates and repaint because I think the velcro/snaps are all placed as close to perfect as they're gonna get. I just have to nick the corners off a little to make it all fit together evenly.

I did swap the knee high vinyl wrapped boots for some TK boots painted grey. I added elastic stirrups to the suit to hold the legs inside the boots. I reworked the knee armor to sit on the suit instead of part of the boot cover. I am going to try to add a leg stripe or some straps in dark grey and yellow to add some color to the legs because they look so boring compared with the rest of the suit.

The magnets aren't keeping the gauntlets closed. I'm going to need some kind of strap/snap combo. When I work on that, I'll probably get rid of the mirrors. They were a neat experiment, but since I forget they're there, I don't really use them.

Wish I had a better picture than this, but I wasn't the one with a camera.

- MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!