Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader WIP [Titusville FL]

• 66 Replies

Clarkkun

• Do, or do not...there is no try!
Early Crusader WIP [Titusville FL]
« on: Aug 05, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I'm starting this WIP to document my progress on get feedback on what I am doing right, and what I'm doing not so right...

Here are a few pics of my helmet. I think I got the shape just about where I want it, but that's about it. Next I will start adding some contours before I cover the whole thing in fiberglass and resin.

(Sorry about the focus on the last one)

Anyway, it's a start. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 09:34 AM by Clarkkun » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Early Crusader WIP [Titusville FL]
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Looks like a cool start vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Clarkkun

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2014, 08:51 PM »
The part I like least about working with fiberglass...sanding...filing...and more sanding...

I only had about 45 minutes to work tonight  :(

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 09:34 AM by Clarkkun » Logged

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2014, 11:45 PM »
on the bright side, since it is supposed to resemble bone, at least you don't have to get it perfectly smooth!

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Ahh...bondo glass buckets...LOL! My first one was a combination of garage sale signs, bondo, Bondo glass, fiberglass tape, and resin as well. It was a royal pain to get it just right and it was also a very helpful learning curve.. As Zophar said, if you are going for a bone look, you won;t have to have it completely smooth. However, I would highly recommend a couple of things:

1) make sure every single part is sanded. It's a dead giveaway for there to be unsanded spots, sharp sanded edges, and "craters with hair," if you know what I mean.

2) use a dremel to make skull fractures - look at human and animal skulls for reference. This way, it looks like you made your helmet from some creatures head. :)

3) once you get everything sanded down and as smooth as you want, paint the entire thing a base bone tan or ivory, and do a black wash to get every nook and cranny shaded. You probably already planned this, but look at rams or bulls horns for reference on painting the horns on your helmet as well.

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Clarkkun

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I'll admit, part of why I went EC for my first kit was so I didn't HAVE to everything exactly smooth ;D

After filing away with a coarse rasp last night, I came to the conclusion I would use my trusty dremel to knock all the high spots down before going back over it with sand paper...The glass is pretty thin in some spots and I didn't get the inside of the helmet at all, so I will be adding a second coat for sure. I remember the "fuzz" from shop class a hundred years ago...its amazing what you can't see until the first coat of primer goes on :D

Thanks for the advice! It will never fall on deaf ears (even if I might get stubborn sometimes)!

Thx Dave, Zophar...

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2014, 05:44 AM »
Couple more tips: respirator and shop vac (you probably already know, but it's worth repeating when it comes to health). They well save your life...;)

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Clarkkun

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2014, 06:15 AM »
You ain't kidding! Doing all the sanding and grinding outside on the back patio too...want to keep all the cr@% out of the house. Safety first, always!

Clarkkun

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Got the inside of the helmet glassed, and the outside rough sanded. Also started adding some detail...raised cheek bones and some detail around the horns.

Need to do more rough sanding before I put a light filler coat of Bondo to smooth out the rough spots. I'll carve in some bone ridges and other details and then it will be ready for the first coat of paint...

It's not much, but it's progress  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 09:35 AM by Clarkkun » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:07 AM »
Cool progress vod ;) Keep it up Im liking it

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Clarkkun

« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:20 PM »
It's coming along...First primer coat :D  Bad part is, it shows up all the little "holes" in the fiberglass you can't see when your sanding. Another round of spot filler and more sanding in my future I see...

Hoping this will pass muster when I'm done  :rolleyes: 

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80204.0

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 09:36 AM by Clarkkun » Logged

Kebii'tra Verda

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Loving the skull work, ner'vod... :)

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Clarkkun

« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Thanks David! It's really starting to come along now. Here are the latest pics---

Modeled by my son...

I still need to add the "air" tubes and pressure regulator, which will be located at the back of the helmet (not sure yet if the the tubes will lead to the front of the suit, or the back--ADVICE IS WELCOME!). Was also thinking of adding some kind of vocator or other mouth piece on the front to break the flat area up a bit (no pun intended).

I don't like the color of the horns. The actual color is more of an okra, but it doesn't photograph very well, which is half of having a great Mando kit. I have some textured patterns I might try.

So how am I doing so far? Does this EC helmet look like it could make muster?

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 09:37 AM by Clarkkun » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I think it looks awesome vod ;D

Kebii'tra Verda

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Very nice!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Stunning work so far! I can't wait to see the rest of your pieces! 8)

Clarkkun

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2014, 05:54 AM »
My apologies...My computer experienced the blue screen of death, so I haven't posted in a while. I pretty much lost everything, notes, pictures, etc.

Making progress...Started on my chest piece, but want to post some pics before I get too far. Feedback on whether I got the plates sized right would be helpful. Hopefully I will be able to post some more pics soon!

Clarkkun

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Okay, so I keep trying to find a good base for the flight suit requirement of my Early Crusader kit...The more I look, the more I want to use sweat pants and a sweat shirt. BUT, someone say it, "No jeans, t-shirts, SWEAT SUITS, etc. used as flight suits or armor/flak vests."

How "in stone" is that? If I went to a fabric store and bought the same material a sweat shirt is made of and did my own sewing, would that be the same as a sweat suit and not meet the requirements? If I take sweat pants and a sweat shirt and heavily modify them, are they still a sweat suit? It's the elasticity in the material I am liking, and can't seam to find in an "authorized" form that won't cost a bundle...

HELP! can anyone clarify how strict/flexible the CRLs are?

merquise13

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Okay, so I keep trying to find a good base for the flight suit requirement of my Early Crusader kit...The more I look, the more I want to use sweat pants and a sweat shirt. BUT, someone say it, "No jeans, t-shirts, SWEAT SUITS, etc. used as flight suits or armor/flak vests."

How "in stone" is that? If I went to a fabric store and bought the same material a sweat shirt is made of and did my own sewing, would that be the same as a sweat suit and not meet the requirements? If I take sweat pants and a sweat shirt and heavily modify them, are they still a sweat suit? It's the elasticity in the material I am liking, and can't seam to find in an "authorized" form that won't cost a bundle...

I wanna say that the requirement is to make sure people dont automatically see you and being able to pick out that you're wearing tshirt, jeans, sweatsuit.  For my flight suit, we bought some other material from joannes that had more of a natural look to it, sewed a shirt and pants and then basically sewed the two together and gave it a zipper all up front.

Dha'Kas Novae: Approved Legacy - Demolitions Expert
Riever: Approved Early Crusader - Beast Tamer.

facebook.com/sirnotappearinginthiscosplay

Clarkkun

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:57 AM »
Haven't posted in a while...still having computer issues. Have the gauntlets pretty much done. They have the same look and feel as the helmet. Moving on to the shoulder guards. Hopefully will be able to post some pics soon.

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Man that helmet looks cool.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Clarkkun

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I've been really busy at work the last few weeks, and haven't really done much on my build. This weekend is supposed to be fantastic, so I'm hoping to move a few of my pieces forward. Thanks for all the comments! It's nice to have the support.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:53 PM »

sorry for late reply but the CRLs are NOT Flexible.

if you want clarifcation on any thing CRL related then PM your Russ'alor or the App team

Clarkkun

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:02 AM »
No problem, Niabi...I appreciate the feedback! I haven't gotten very much accomplished in the past few weeks, something I hope to rectify this weekend.

Kebii'tra Verda

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Dude, if you can make it to the Barge day on the 15th, PLEASE BRING THIS!!! I would LOVE to see it up close!

David.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
Above and Beyond

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!