Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Korran Orainn, Mando Engineer - UPDATE 20/07 - SWCE Update!

• 142 Replies

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Re: (WIP) Koran Orainn, Mando Scavenger/Engineer - Kit! (PH)
« Reply #50 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Sad thread neglection!

Unfortunately no picures for you Vode. I took this kit as it stands to Cardiff Film and Comic Con - some pictures to come. Unfortunately we had a belly plate mishap resulting in one of the snaps to come away from the armour. Whilst I jury-rigged it to some degree, it is out by a degree or so on some pictures.

Planned updates before pre-approval pictures:

1) Shin armour. My lower is lacking detail!
2) Light boot armour. Only a teensie bit, but again, I feel this is needed.
3) Buy'ce improvements: Clone fin, fan system, possbily an RF servo and maybe even some LED's. Padding.
4) ARC trooper-like shoulder pad.
5) Furher weathering of the softs
6) General improvements to Knee&Cod
7) Left Gauntlet (this one is gonna be a wristblaster :D)

Also working on a LED screen display for my Blaster (another thread that is in dire need for an update...)

Korran Orainn

Koran's first convention pictures!

Walking through Cardiff

Gold! Lots of gold!

With the Punisher

Got my first Bounty!

And another...

With the man himself

and cue the most adoreable person at the convention:

*reaaaally* need to shape that backpiece. Though admittedly in the picture with Boba it looks as though I just put it on too high...will need addressing asap!

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014, 05:28 AM by Koran Orainn » Logged

Korran Orainn

Progress is slooooow.

Decided I will be dyeing my vest a darker shade. It conflicts with my plates too much!

Also, there is this:

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Koran Orainn, Mando Scavenger/Engineer - Fixes and Tweaks (PH)
« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Ooooh, shiny. Planning to leave it that colour and just weather or will you be painting/dying it?

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #54 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I'd say leave the vest, It looks fine and if it gets to close to the colour of the plates they will loose impact and blend in, Except the orange of course.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Korran Orainn

« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:14 AM »
Ooooh, shiny. Planning to leave it that colour and just weather or will you be painting/dying it?

Probably just weather it, white has become a sort of accessory colour with this kit :)

Currently thinking of some designs to put on there!

I'd say leave the vest, It looks fine and if it gets to close to the colour of the plates they will loose impact and blend in, Except the orange of course.

I can't help but feel it needs a little more definition, even after weathering it's tricky to tell where the plates end and where the vest begins...don't get me wrong,  I was grateful for that at the con as my blooming Ab plate came loose!

Thanks for the feedback both :D x

Korran Orainn

« Reply #56 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:16 AM »
Pictures!

Closer look at my shoddy freehand work (reads: 'Remember...' in Mando'a):

Obligatory selfie (picture with armour!):

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #57 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:42 AM »
h very nice.I approve.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
« Reply #58 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Awesome kit, mate! Very inspiring indeed!

Going back to the picture frame on your gauntlet, did you say you did pics for them and cycle through them, or do they cycle when you press one of the buttons?

Either way, very well done!!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Korran Orainn

« Reply #59 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Awesome kit, mate! Very inspiring indeed!

Going back to the picture frame on your gauntlet, did you say you did pics for them and cycle through them, or do they cycle when you press one of the buttons?

Either way, very well done!!

Both, interestingly!

This particular photoframe has both a cycle mode (which you can set when you plug it in via USB - standard is ten seconds) OR you can hit the next/previous buttons that are disguised on the side.

I tend it leave it as a static image, and then 'type' on my keys (sneakily hitting a next/previous button if I fancy it!)

Were I to do this project again, I would futher study mini photoframe makes and models to get one that is a slimmer profile. In addition, if you decide to go down this route, make sure you get one that supports .GIF. It looks so cool to have a motion tracker on your Gaunt!

Thanks for commenting, if you make something similar please link me to it! :)

h very nice.I approve.

Means so much to me Kit, thank you <3

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I've been watching this build for a while. It's very VERY impressive. I also come from a miniature background (legions of Warhammer 40k minis) and my Mando was the first time I ever really attempted something on this scale. A lot of the skills we developed painting minis carries over to armor. Some don't.

The one and ONLY thing that throws me off about your kit is the battle damage around the edges of your plates. It looks like brush strokes and not natural damage. Of course they are deliberate brush strokes but they shouldn't look like deliberate brush strokes. We can get away with dry brushing silver on our minis but that doesn't always translate over very well to the larger scale. I learned that the hard way and ended up stripping my bucket and starting over....twice  :'(

I'm only telling you this because you're a fellow mini painter and I know you've got OCD (obsessive compulsive detailing) like I do. Obviously this isn't a deal breaker when it comes time to getting your kit approved. It's just something that will make your awesome kit and epic kit.

Korran Orainn

« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I've been watching this build for a while. It's very VERY impressive. I also come from a miniature background (legions of Warhammer 40k minis) and my Mando was the first time I ever really attempted something on this scale. A lot of the skills we developed painting minis carries over to armor. Some don't.

The one and ONLY thing that throws me off about your kit is the battle damage around the edges of your plates. It looks like brush strokes and not natural damage. Of course they are deliberate brush strokes but they shouldn't look like deliberate brush strokes. We can get away with dry brushing silver on our minis but that doesn't always translate over very well to the larger scale. I learned that the hard way and ended up stripping my bucket and starting over....twice  :'(

I'm only telling you this because you're a fellow mini painter and I know you've got OCD (obsessive compulsive detailing) like I do. Obviously this isn't a deal breaker when it comes time to getting your kit approved. It's just something that will make your awesome kit and epic kit.

Thanks Tyno, your feedback means alot to me!

I agree with everything you've said; when I worked on individual plates I had my miniatures-focus mode active, and thus forgot about the bigger picture as a whole....doh!

I've managed to get in some artists charcoal, so once I've sorted my vest out I can re-address my beskar with a better frame of mind.

Cheers!
Ollie

Korran Orainn

« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Emboldened by my Vode, I braved the freezing temperatures and got a wee bit of work done:

Started work on blaster gauntlet. Added two switches (one has a mechanical safety cover, proper oldschool!)
The two tubes will be the barrels of the blaster, not 100% sure how to tackle it just yet!

WIP scratchbuilt clone fin made of 3x layers of 5mm sintra. Will glue and fill on to the buy'ce, then mask and paint it. Thinking the same grey as the rest of the kit atm...

Tested the fit of the shoulderpad with my neck seal and buy'ce, pleased to announce it's very comfy!

Also got more work done on my blaster, and managed to use a third grade of sandpaper and artists charcoal to enhance the weathering of the plates. Looks better now...(sadly no pictures of that as I want to do the backpiece and gaunts as well. Expect images of that soon)

Still have to make my shins and find a tool tool pouch thingy for my thigh. Preferably leather to match my pouches!

Thanks for bearing with me and all your supportive words so far!

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2015, 04:15 PM by Koran Orainn » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Looking good. I suppose that means I should stop being such a coward and go outside too if you have... :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Korran Orainn

« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Looking good. I suppose that means I should stop being such a coward and go outside too if you have... :P

I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, it must be hell in the North!

It sounds like someone needs some Mando'a socks :3

Kris Jasra

« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, it must be hell in the North!

It sounds like someone needs some Mando'a socks :3

The wind off the sea is freezing and it kept trying to slam the door shut on me. But I did go out, at least till it went dark.

And yes, my feet are cold, I'm expecting lots of Mando socks for my birthday! :P

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I am intensely jealous of your gauntlet greeblies! Kit looks awesome. Can't wait to meet you at a troop.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Korran Orainn

« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:06 PM »
Small progress in the build: still need to do the shins, a blade, and I'm working on getting some diamonds out to my vode in the Vok'Chi!

So, one issue I had with my kit (as well as those listed previously...!) was that it was detailed at the top, but sparse on the bottom. I always planned on having a thigh-mounted tool pouch (to be an Engi/scav) and got these today in Cardiff:

WWII GPMG tools

And some lovely WWII leather ankle spats:

Korran Orainn

Korran Orainn

« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:51 AM »
More updates:

Phase 1 CT Buy'ce Fin - CW style:

Wristblaster progress (not complete, needs more paintwork and greeblies inc. cables):

earlier wristblaster pictures, complete with stylish Sith dressing gown (just so you get a flavor of what it looks like when worn):

Not pictured but done: leather thigh pouch for tools, flak vest dyed black.

Rhenvar

• "Each a grain of sand"
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:24 AM »
looking ace :)

Korran Orainn

« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:33 AM »
looking ace :)

Cheers Vod!

So I did my cape the other night. It was plain, and needed a little something. Here is my charcoal pencil sketch:

Then painted (Bella HAD to be in this photo. Because Cat.):

Backpiece-mirror-selfie:

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Very nice!  And the cat is cute too!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Korran Orainn

Very nice!  And the cat is cute too!

Thanks Jorad!

I almost forgot, I promised everyone a picture with my vest dyed black. In true Ollie tradition, it's a selfie!

No Flightsuit here as I am waiting for it to dry before I strengthen my knee and cod attachments. Should be doing that this evening. Snaps ftw!

Rhenvar

• "Each a grain of sand"
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
dude this kit is rapidly becoming incredible, cant wait to see it done :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!