Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

vest and pouch WIP

• 7 Replies
vest and pouch WIP
« on: Sep 24, 2014, 11:56 PM »
So I had come to a point in my process where it was time to start the...sigh....soft parts. I have been working from the bottom up on my mando and have all the armor from the waist down complete. I have also finished my holster, which I will add onto this topic as well. So first came the pouches. I was going to order some vintage pouches off of an online seller, but have been working on a tight budget, so I thought I would give making them myself a whirl. So here goes.
first I figured out what size I wanted the pouches to be and made paper, then poster board templates of the front,back and sides.

Then traced the templates onto some black pleather.

Then as you can see in the following pics I hemmed the edge of the front and the side piece first and then started sewing the front to the side. Just sew with the fronts facing each other so then when you are all done, you just turn the pouch right side out and whalla! a pouch.

I lined the inside of the pouches with black duck tape to give them a little more body and added velcro on the front to hold down the closure.

Re: vest and pouch WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2014, 12:30 AM »
Here are some pics of my vest so far. I decided to use Duck Cloth for my vest. Still have to put bias tape around the arms and sides, and then figure out how to attach the sides. I think I am going to have straps that attach to the sides and buckle at the back. Then I have enough scrap from my one yard of fabric to make the shoulder bell sleeves, or whatever you call them :)

Here are some more pics of the vest showing the velcro closures that I have sewn in.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2014, 12:56 AM »
[/img]I added the shoulder bell attachments today. I first made my template and pinned it to the vest to get the correct placement. I then traced the shoulder bell onto the duck cloth and then sewed the two pieces together. Then sewed the sleeve onto the vest. And now my vest is complete except for the Velcro for the armor.

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2014, 04:48 PM »
This looks great vod, keep it up!

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Nice work! On it's own I was about to say the neck hole dipped too low, but on you it sits fine. congratulations on one of the most difficult and important pieces of your kit.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:51 PM »
thanks so much for the comment! yea I was not sure if I was going to be able to pull it off, but the vest came out great. And I hand sewed all of it without any experience! (I think I got lucky :laugh:). Now I have to make my bucket, and for me that is going to be the hardest. I think that is why I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Wow, that's some great work!

You are a much braver person than I for making that yourself!

I can't wait to see what you do for your helmet.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2014, 02:19 AM »
Don't frett the bucket build too much Vod there's more than one way to make one depending on your comfort levels there's scratch building one out of buckets, scratch building out of sintra ( I did this myself with a pepakura dome) the pepakura method which I have done several helmets with and then there is sculpting and moulding... Or the 3d printed ones lol if you need further encouragement hit me up and I can send you lots of random facts and things plus a tip or two!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!