Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Was this even remotely helpful?

Yes definitely!
56 (82.4%)
Kind of
6 (8.8%)
Not sure
1 (1.5%)
Not really
0 (0%)
No freakin way man
0 (0%)
This could use a lot of work
0 (0%)
Whereís the rest of the tutorial mango!?
5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Bowfanny's Vest Tutorial warning majorly pic heavy

• 3 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Bowfanny's Vest Tutorial warning majorly pic heavy
« on: Sep 25, 2014, 03:28 AM »
Okay everyone so I decided that it was finally time to put together my vest tutorial since I went and took all of these awesome step by step photos to show how I myself put a vest together...
Step 1,
Take your favorite most comfortable t-shirt that fits you well- as in not to tight not too loose but juuuussst riiiight.
pictured here is one of my shirts.

KEEP this scissors away from the shirt!!! That right we're not cutting up a perfectly good shirt for this tutorial... but if you want to go right ahead I cant stop you and you were going to anyway right!

Step 2,
Fold that shirt in half putting the sleeves together

Yeah see what I did there!
Step 3,
Fold those sleeves inside the folded shirt

Now we're rocking and on a roll!
Step 4,
Sneak into the kitchen and "borrow" your mom/wife/sister/aunts/sisters roll of freezer paper.
Iím not using freezer paper as I have this giant roll of craft paper.

use whatever kind of freezer paper that's available I hear the dollar stores have it now. I use freezer paper because in a pinch once the pattern is cut out you can iron it onto your fabric with the wax side on the fabric and it stays until you decide to peel it off.
Giant rolls of craft paper also work if youíve got it.

Step 5,
Cut a good length of paper out slightly longer than your shirt.

Thats the easy part other than folding your laundry!

Step 6,
Put that folded shirt onto the paper!

yupp I did that!

Step 7,
Take your handy dandy pen/pencil/marker/writing device like so

Now Trace around your folded shirt

Step 8,
Use your writing device and trace a second line 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch outside of your t-shirt pattern, congrats you just gave yourself some seam allowances!!!

Step 9,
now unfold your shirt and fold it the other way for example if you folded it so that the front was inside the fold last time you are going to fold it so the front is the outside edge this time.

Don't forget to fold your sleeves in

Step 10,
Trace the thing again but this time ignore the collar bit that is intruding from the back of the shirt and kind of fold it inside or pick it up and trace the front bit of the collar instead of the back(so that it doesn't choke you later)

Add your seam allowances!

Have any of you noticed that I have "place on fold here" with a set of arrows pointing to the edge? That edge is going to be the center or on fold of fabric so that you double your pattern when you cut it out.

Step 11,
There are a lot of steps to this process... Almost as many as getting your kit approved...I kid, I kid.. but not completely ;P

Don't forget to give yourself some fold over for a nice clean edge on the neck and arm areas.
Seen here as additional seam allowance.

Step 12,
Get those trusty scissors out and cut that finished pattern out!!

-PRO TIP-
NEVER EVER USE YOUR MOM OR WIFE OR GIRLFRIENDS FABRIC SCISSORS ON PAPER
(This is why you see two different kinds of scissors in this tutorial)

Step 14,
get your fabric of choice-mine happens to be duck cloth canvas

lay it out nice and flat but have it folded in half lengthwise
Lay out your pattern

Step 14,
Uh just checking your counting!!!
Remember further up when I said you could Iron the wax side to the fabric you can do that or use these painful little pokies

I know they are push pins
Step 15,
Pin that pattern down!

Step 16,
Cut Around your pattern making sure you are cutting the fabric otherwise youíre cutting air!! LOL

Step 17,
Unpin your fabric from your pattern and set pattern aside

Repeat with the other part of the pattern

(It has taken me approximately 45 minutes from starting my shinanagins until this point even with stopping and taking pictures, youíre doing great so far!)

Step 18,
Now that you have your pattern all cut out go get your sewing machine ready for some quick sewing and seams.
like these

Okay maybe not like these because I used a serger for these.

Turn and hand press the seam so they look like these

I hope this has been helpful!

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 05:29 PM by Bowfanny » Logged

QMU#084

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
Re: Bowfanny's Vest Tutorial warning majorly pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2014, 05:32 AM »
Very nice tutorial.   For mandos that dont have access to a sewing machine, do you think you can do this, with that iron on seam sealing tape walmart sells?  I had an old shreded mil issue scrubs top that I opened up pinned nad used as a base to my fabric.  But thats as far as I got.   Stuck on the seams. 

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Very nice tutorial.   For mandos that dont have access to a sewing machine, do you think you can do this, with that iron on seam sealing tape walmart sells?  I had an old shreded mil issue scrubs top that I opened up pinned nad used as a base to my fabric.  But thats as far as I got.   Stuck on the seams.
I'm no expert with the hem tape but what I gather from a quick google search is that you can use it as long as the tape is heavy weight enough that it bonds to the fabric like it should. If I were to use it I would back the tape up with a bit of hand stitching to reinforce it. The stitching would save you the seam blowing out if it got too stressed for the glue. I'm helping someone work on their vest right now also and so far the only sewing that is needed was at the shoulder seams. There will be hemming and finishing edges but we are doing flaps that wrap to the back with Velcro and buckles. If you really do to want to sew you can also take some grommets and make a laced side seam using leather cord for that Manly aesthetic plus it would look mighty cool. Let me know what you end up doing Vod!

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Major Necroposting!
Bow: yet itís relevant!
I have redone the pictures and updated the tutorial!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!