Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Evren's First Kit- WIP

• 218 Replies

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Evren's First Kit- WIP
« Reply #200 on: Aug 01, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Pics from the AP, as promised:

Working outside TSP

Front (Yes, I am aware I'm missing a shin, I need to fix up the strapping on both of them so that it'll actually stick to the plate. Also, the shin is way far up. It was just a quick kit up, I really didnt have much time to fiddle with placements and stuff.)

Left

Back

Right

These were really quickly done full-kit pics as I decided to kit up when it hit 2:50ish and Dad wanted to drag me out of there at 3 (that obviously didnt happen). Then the shins broke and we couldnt fix them up in time for the pic, so we did what we could then I was dragged off. I'll have more pics up tomorrow!

List of things I completed today:
  • Made the second gaunt
  • Painted (and weathered) second gaunt
  • Cut out one chest plate
  • Weathered the gun a bit
  • Mostly figured out how to attach the scope on
  • Strapping attached to the shins (though they still need work

Thanks!

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

Fyr Mureys

• Fyr sounds like fear. Early Medic Sandhawk Clan.
« Reply #201 on: Aug 01, 2015, 07:44 AM »
You are the cutest little Verd'ika... :)

Kit looked awesome, as always, and I'm glad that you kitted up. Can't believe there's 14 pages of WIP here... Great work! Now you have to get your father's armour made and approved... ;) There's not that much use having yours approvable if you grow out of it before your dad's gear is made. :)

Hold still, this won't hurt me a bit...

Tython Base Facebook Page

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #202 on: Aug 01, 2015, 08:33 AM »
You are the cutest little Verd'ika... :)
I agree 200% with this sentiment! Seriously vod'ika, great work.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Fyr Mureys

« Reply #203 on: Aug 01, 2015, 08:53 AM »
And for the record... She's one of the best huggers in the Southern Hemisphere. If you haven't had a Shan-hug... I pity you! :D

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #204 on: Aug 01, 2015, 08:55 AM »
And for the record... She's one of the best huggers in the Southern Hemisphere. If you haven't had a Shan-hug... I pity you! :D
....I hate you Fyr. Not...hate-hate. But envy-hate.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Fyr Mureys

« Reply #205 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:56 AM »
....I hate you Fyr. Not...hate-hate. But envy-hate.

Come over here and say that... :D

And then get your own Shan-hugs at the same time! ;p

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #206 on: Aug 02, 2015, 12:34 AM »
Awesome work, vod.  Very, very nice.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Evren Jaira

• She/They
« Reply #207 on: Aug 17, 2015, 02:07 AM »
So! That last update would've made my kit mk 1.2, and this boosts it all the way to 1.4! :D

First off, on the upgrade that makes it 1.3. Rifle!
  • Attached Scope to Rifle
  • Weathered Rifle
  • Weathered Scope

1.4 Upgrade- Holsters and Westar-35s! (I started cutting out the holsters earlier today and finished sticking them together about half an hour ago)

Fyr Mureys

« Reply #208 on: Aug 17, 2015, 03:38 AM »
Looks fantastic Vod'ika! :) I see your dad got the paint box idea from the build day... I saw him looking at that and thought he'd be using it... :)

Evren Jaira

• She/They
« Reply #209 on: Aug 17, 2015, 03:58 AM »
Nah, we've had that since about halfway through last year.

Fyr Mureys

« Reply #210 on: Aug 17, 2015, 05:21 AM »
Cool! :)

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #211 on: Aug 17, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Outstanding!! Those guns are real killers (No pun intended lol) and I love how everything is turning out really well.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #212 on: Aug 17, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Looking awesome! About time for another full kit pick me thinks ;)

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #213 on: Aug 17, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Looking Brilliant!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #214 on: Aug 17, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Looking absolutely amazing!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Evren Jaira

• She/They
« Reply #215 on: Aug 19, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Full kit pics! :D
These were fairly hastily taken so you can see some of my chin in a couple of the photos- I'll pull my neckseal up next time :) The helmet was tilted fairly far forwards in the back pic so that's another thing for me to remember.

My current weapon project: A knife/pointy stick combo! Pretty much a knife that can be attached to an extension to make the pointy stick part of it. I have the PVC Pipe that I'll be using as my extension and I'll explain what I'm planning on doing after pics of my current progress with the knife.

The way I'll make the knife is that it'll be a single layer of 3mm sintra for the blade, which I'll sand to have an 'edge' to it. It'll be the complete shape, and then I'll place and glue other pieces that are the shape of the hilt and then sand it into a round shape. I'll also probably bondo it too to get rid of the lines showing between layers.

In terms of having it attachable/detachable, I plan on gluing a foam 'stopper' a small way down and then putting a strong magnet on that, and the pair to that on the base of the knife handle. I'll also put another stopper down the bottom of the pole and then bondo over that too.

So to simplify that into steps it goes

Knife:
1.Cut out shapes
2.Glue Shapes
3. Sand Shapes
4. Bondo Shapes (make sure it fits in pole!)
5. Glue magnet to the base.
6. Paint.

Pole:
1.Put stopper in base and bondo.
2.Put stopper up top and glue (Knife needs to be finished step 4 for this)
3.Glue magnet to the top stopper (Knife needs to be finished step 5 for this)
4. Paint.

Does anyone know if painting over magnets changes how they work?

Thanks, Evren.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 08:01 AM by shanj » Logged

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #216 on: Aug 19, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Looking good.

If you're worried about skin showing under the helmet a balaclave is usually a good choice, it can also help keep sweat out of your eyes and such.

Sadly I don't have any experience with painting over magnets, but anything you put over a magnet will reduce it's pull (as it has to get through that material). So if you keep it thin, and it's a powerful enough magnet I'd assume it should be okay. But someone with more experience in this can probably comment better.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #217 on: Aug 19, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Paint will not significantly effect the pull of magnets unless you use ones that are extremely weak to begin with. Personally I recommend using neodymium magnets. They're significantly stronger for their size then other magnets (unless you're talking electromagnets, and that's a whole different issue).

Anyway! Kit is looking freaking awesome verd'ika! My only comment, and it's really just a nit-pickt's is that your new gaunts make your flight suit bag quite a bit on your upper arms. Might want to take in the sleeves a bit, or add some bicep pouches or something. You're reaching the point where your over all kit is good enough that minor issues like that really jump out.

Havelock

« Reply #218 on: Aug 20, 2015, 12:00 AM »
Fantastic work, vod.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!