Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Armor WIP

• 31 Replies
My Armor WIP
« on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:27 PM »
It's been awhile since I've managed to do any work on my kit, life kind of got in the way. Such awhile in fact, my previous WIP seems to have disappeared.

So here's where I'm up to. Chest, diamond and Ab plates cut and shaped from 3mm sintra, double layered, glued and rivets added for effect. Neck and shoulder bells made from PVC plumbing pipe and as with the rest, double layered, glued and riveted.

I'd appreciate some feedback/comments on positioning, trimming if needed etc. I already started on a few already (see photo).
One of the shoulders seems a bit higher than the other, but it's only held on by tape ATM so I'm not too worried about that.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Family is more than blood

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: My Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2014, 10:01 PM »
You're going in the right direction, vod.  Plates are looking good, and your sizing is pretty much on the money. :D

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I LOVE the double-layer effect. and it's one of the few times I actually really like the look of rivets.

You may need to trim it all down just a hair, if you look in the pic the plate on the right sticks out past the collar a lot more than on the left. Line those corners up so the collar edge flows down into the chest edge, and the same at the bottom of the chest plates into the belly. The inside of the chest plates are also angled a bit. You can see this by the gap above and below the diamond. Up top the gap is a lot less than below, so you'll need to tilt the chest plates inwards a touch to even the gaps out. Then you'll definitely need to trim where you indicated and move the diamond down as you put, and you should be golden.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2014, 03:37 PM »
I would trim the Gut to fit exactly in between the chest plates ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Cheers for the comments

I LOVE the double-layer effect. and it's one of the few times I actually really like the look of rivets.

Always good to hear that from a member of the Approval Team  ;D

The right chest plate sticking out a lot more must be the way I've placed it or the way I'm standing, I've just re-measured it and the collar is about 2mm shorter on that side and the chest plates are exactly the same width. Even with the collar being shorter by 2mm, it does look a hell of a lot more in the photo for some reason. And if I move them out to widen the gap above the diamond they'll look even wider. Either way, it's looking like I'm going to have to trim.
I had a bit of a brain fade, I should have done this before glueing and riveting the second layer on. Looks like I'm going to have to remove some rivets, trim, fill in the old holes then reposition the rivets  :'(  Oh well, I'll know better next time (haven't even finished my first kit yet and I've already planned my second) :laugh:

I would trim the Gut to fit exactly in between the chest plates ;)

Good plan Niabi, if on the off chance I stuff it up, I've only got to replace one piece rather than two, also of I make a mess of it, the Ab plate was easier to shape

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

A'den 'Blasty' Baatir

• "I'm Magical." 🏳️‍🌈
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Dat layer effect...  :o

501st Legion: TR/IG/ID-51817
MMCC OM#: 2411

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2014, 01:50 PM »
wow, love the layered armor

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Dat layer effect...  :o
wow, love the layered armor

Cheers Guys. Can't actually remember if I'd seen it on someone else's kit or just have a rare flash of genius and thought it up  :laugh:, either way I'm happy with the outcome 

Well it's just after 2am and I decided to get stuck into doing some more of the armour, as you do at 2am, started to heat some PVC pipe to mould it and I've just blown up my heat gun. Looks like a trip to the store as soon as it opens in the morning.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:44 PM »
It's been awhile since I've managed to do any work on my kit, life kind of got in the way. Such awhile in fact, my previous WIP seems to have disappeared.

So here's where I'm up to. Chest, diamond and Ab plates cut and shaped from 3mm sintra, double layered, glued and rivets added for effect. Neck and shoulder bells made from PVC plumbing pipe and as with the rest, double layered, glued and riveted.

I'd appreciate some feedback/comments on positioning, trimming if needed etc. I already started on a few already (see photo).
One of the shoulders seems a bit higher than the other, but it's only held on by tape ATM so I'm not too worried about that.

I actually like that look, I mean before you trim it.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Won't be a huge trimming, just enough to even out the spacing. Hopefully won't effect the overall look.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:21 AM »

Love it, that's almost exactly as my first plates looked. I think I might go back at some point and redo my plates to the original design. Had lots of wee reminders of when I got into mando costuming and realised my mood and feelings over it have completely changed, and not really for the better. after a few upgrades I'm going back to the start to try ad rekindle some of the insparation that lead to a design similar to this.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:22 AM »
So I decided to remake the ab plate. The chest plate on the left (as indicated) looks like it's sticking out further than the other but it just needs a bit of reshaping and should sit flush same as the other one.
Just mainly interested in peoples thoughts about the spacing.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:19 PM »
I think I'd lower it just a hair, so the spacing between the top and the sides is even. It probably only needs 1/8" maybe. Otherwise, it definitely flows a lot better now than the old ab.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Cheers for that, the plate is just tucked into the Girth Belt to hold it in place for the photo so moving isn't a problem. I was mainly just concerned about the overall sizing and spacing between it and the chest plates.
Suppose it's time to cut and shape the top plate to match it with the rest of the plates  :)

Cut and shaped the boot covers earlier and shins to be done tonight. Neighbours must love me, dremals and grinders at all hours of the night (due to work I live a vampiric lifestyle, sleep during the day and awake all night)   :laugh: :laugh:

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Armor is looking great. What type of glue did you use to stick the two pieces together?

Did you glue them then shape them?

« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Armor is looking great. What type of glue did you use to stick the two pieces together?

Did you glue them then shape them?

Didn't use too much glue, a little bit of quick set Contact Adhesive, basically enought just to hold them in place. When the glue was almost set I  drilled the holes and hit it with a heap of rivets.

As for gluing and shaping them, I'd cut out 2 of each plate and heat and shape one for the bottom plate (as you can see in the photo, the Ab plate is only a single). Once happy with that one, I'd heat the second until really soft and place on top of the first and  it basically molded itself to the bottom plate. Then it was just a case of sanding the edges of the top plate until I was happy with the reduction (which I've only just finished for the Ab plate). Gluing and riveting was the last thing I did.

**Update time** I've done a template for my shin plates but realized I don't have enough PVC to make them (it's 5:30am so not many PVC suppliers are open :'( ). I'm going for a semi wrap around shin as I'm going to try to intergrate a holster for a small secondary sidearm into the side of the right shin, similar to the Biker Scout and possibly (not sure yet) a bladed weapon of some type attached to the left shin.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:51 AM »
So I've been playing around with different paint schemes and painted my shoulder bells with 2 schemes that I like the best for comparison. Now I'm not sure whether to go with the solid colour or the Camo Mando look.  I'm looking at a Mando that spends a lot of time on heavily forested worlds like Endor, Talasea and Drongar etc so armour that blends in would be an advantage.
Just wondering peoples thoughts on one or the other.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:47 AM »
The CRLs say no obviously earthy camo patterns.  They have a list of patterns that are a no go.  If you want to do something camo like, i would look up the various patterns to make sure you don't do anything too close to those.  Also, take a look at Leia's costume when she was on endor and the clones on Kashyyyk and maybe try for some similar patterns and coloring to those since they are in universe references

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Yeah I knew to stay away from earthly patterns, real tree, tigerstripe digicam etc, etc, etc,  didn't really have any particular pattern in mind when I did it, just let the brush go where it went  :) But yeah, point taken.

Just had a look at some clone reference photos, given me a couple of ideas. Time to sand back the cam and break out the paints again and see where this takes me  :D

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:10 PM »
Since you haven't gotten an opinion on one paint scheme over the other, I offer my humble opinion:

The one on the right with the mythosaur skull on it.

If you like those two patterns, that's the one I would pick. But always remember that it's YOUR armor. You're the man in the can, nobody else. So if that's the pattern you like, by Mandalore, wear that pattern!

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Test swatches have a few issues.  For one, you're rocking the dreaded Leopard Damage (damage that is largely uniform in size, shape and spacing).  For two, that camo pattern, while not clearly "off the shelf," looks very earthy.  It'll almost certainly get kicked back.

« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2014, 03:48 AM »
Test swatches have a few issues.  For one, you're rocking the dreaded Leopard Damage (damage that is largely uniform in size, shape and spacing).  For two, that camo pattern, while not clearly "off the shelf," looks very earthy.  It'll almost certainly get kicked back.

Cheers Cin, that test swatch has been sanded back and re undercoated. 
As for the Leopard damage, yeah.... , wasn't overly happy with the uniformity myself once I seen it, mainly using it to test my ability to do a multi layered  (coloured) damage effect (this is all new to me, new to costuming). Will have to keep that in mind when doing the armour itself.

Since you haven't gotten an opinion on one paint scheme over the other, I offer my humble opinion:

The one on the right with the mythosaur skull on it.

If you like those two patterns, that's the one I would pick. But always remember that it's YOUR armor. You're the man in the can, nobody else. So if that's the pattern you like, by Mandalore, wear that pattern!

As it's been pointed out, no Earthly cams, I don't really want to paint the whole kit like that only to have the App Team knock it back for being too close and have to redo the whole thing. Better to get it right now  ;D

Have done a quick test on an old ab plate, would still need to black/brown wash to dirty it up (a bit too bright and shiny ATM) and a more toned down green, based it on the Swamp trooper, opinions ??

Original

Test Swatch

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I'd say when it comes to star wars cammo, Avoid crisp clean lines, most of the stuff is just randomly airbrushed on, not stenciled or template d. It looks a lot more organic. so maybe try something with less hard outlines and more blending/slight over spray, maybe don't template at all an just attach a plate with some spray.

If you want some points to be masked off then maybe mask off the template but don't spry right to the edge,stop maybe a half to a full inch away from the edge to let the spray bleed out, However you'll run the risk of the spray looking unnatural if it gets cut off by the masking.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Jorad Werde

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:07 AM »
those look like the right colors, although I'd go with a less GREEN green...if that make sense.  also, instead of brushes try using a sea sponge (available at most craft stores) it'll allow you to get softer edges and will also throw some interesting patterns up.  And since it's actually a sea sponge the patterns look organic

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Yes,  a less GREEN green does make sence. In an eariler post I'd already mentioned toning down the green :)

As for the sea sponge, good idea. Unfortunately it's 2:30am here ATM so not too many places that sell sponges are open, so once the shops open I might have to pop down and grab some.  While I'm waiting, I might as well sand back that Ab plate and get it ready.

Helmet

Armour (WIP)

Electrobinocular

Weapons WIP

Supporter#018

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!