Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First bucket WIP

• 7 Replies
First bucket WIP
« on: Oct 10, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Hi there, I joined about a year ago but only getting to get kitted out now. I kept putting it off until "later" but I'm sick of doing that. I'm starting with a bucket build, using the Wizard of Flight templates, with a hard hat for a dome.

Bucket:

I started by cutting the handles off and got the pattern traced on.

Hardhat:

I'm opting to use a hard hat mainly because it was free. I'm undecided as to what I want to do with the ridges on top. I'm considering 3 options. 1: leave them on as is, 2: cut them halfway and fill in the gaps making it more flat on the ridges, or 3: cut them out entirely and just fill in the gaps for a smooth dome. I'm leaning towards 2 personally, but not committed yet.

I got the inner portion of the helmet cut out of the first bucket:

My beginner bucket. Made from a bucket.

Soft kit and armour WIP to come when I get the materials.
Re: First bucket WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2014, 11:03 PM »
If it were me, I think I would leave the ridges on until you get the rest of the helmet roughed out and all put together. They could make your helmet more unique and easily recognized. What do you plan to use to attach the bucket part to the hardhat?

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Continuing, I got the T-visor portion traced on:

Front

Side

Other side

And cut out

Front

Left

Right

My next step is to cut out the cheek portions then start piecing it all together.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2014, 11:06 PM »
If it were me, I think I would leave the ridges on until you get the rest of the helmet roughed out and all put together. They could make your helmet more unique and easily recognized. What do you plan to use to attach the bucket part to the hardhat?

Yeah, I was planning on leaving that detail until just before painting, that way I can really think it through. I definitely want it to have some distinguishing features.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I was considering screwing the inner to the hard hat and grinding the top of the screws flush. And then gluing the inner and outer together.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I got the inner attached to the dome. Used duct tape to hold it together while I put the screws through.

Front

Left

Rear, have to tidy up the back here and do some evening out. I plan on cutting the overlapping pieces so it will be flush.

Right

Inside.

Some tidying up to do, then I'll attach the T-visor portion.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:30 PM »

Front

Left

Rear

Right

It seems I forgot to snap a picture between attaching the outer layer and cutting the T out. Whoops. Next up is the cheek plates and then out comes the sandpaper and bondo.

Also, I tried it on and my nose protrudes into where the visor goes a bit (If the visor was in it would smoosh my nose slightly). Any suggestions on how to get it to correct that?

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:56 PM »

More updates, weeeeee!
I got the cheek plates put in, this was probably the most frustrating part of the build so far. Tomorrow I'm planning on sanding all the print off the helmet, and may do the bondo. Undecided, as I've been on Night shifts all this week and it's getting to me. Still undecided on colours, I should really do so. And I'll probably jump right into another helmet after this, I'm thinking a legacy helmet in the style of Hondo Karr.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Been a little too busy to post lately. Got the seams and everything filled with Bondo. No pictures yet, but I'll take some before I start sanding. Then after that it's paint time!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!