Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kaaski's First Armor - Tin Armor WIP

• 9 Replies
Kaaski's First Armor - Tin Armor WIP
« on: Oct 17, 2016, 05:17 PM »
So, this is my first ever Mando armor build, and instead of using sintra as I was so sensibly advised, I decided to go with tin because I am atin (stubborn, determined). And be warned, this first post will be a bit long.

Here is the concept that I've got so far, it will most likely change over the course of this build, but for now this is the image in my head.

And here is my lovely, lovely piece of tin that I scavenged out of the bottom of a rusty pile of metal.
(and on that cheery note, always wear gloves when handling this type of metal! it is SHARP)

I liked this piece cuz the only rust it had was on the edges and I think that I can make that look like cool battle damage.

Here, I have drawn on the pattern I had envisioned.

I messed up a little  :/ but I saved it...kinda.

This is the tool I am using to cut the tin. I don't know the actual name of it, but my dad called it the "nibbler". It's like a giant mechanized hole puncher, and it cuts out little half moons that get everywhere. I recommend putting at least a half inch of space between your pieces when you draw it on cuz it likes to travel and is hard to handle. Straight lines are okay but those curves were TOUGH.

Here is everything cut out. You may notice I have more pieces here than I had drawn. That's because some of the waste pieces were perfect for other parts of the armor that I had planned to use a different material for like the kneecaps and arm armor.

I still have a plastic bag full of the leftover tin, because you never know where else it might be useful!

The next step I have in mind is dishing, and I know it will be tough but I'm super excited! I'll post more when I have it!

"Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart."
-Taken from: Star Wars Republic Commando Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Kaaski's First Armor - Tin Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Looks like a solid design and it seems like you are well underway!

Nice find on the scrap tin roof sheeting, shouldn't be to hard to dish out. Once you get your plates dish out take a picture with them on so we can get a sizing check and make sure nothing is too large or hopefully not too small.

And using the rust as damage is always a good call, natural rust is one of the huge perks of working with metal over sintra.

Also I really dig the color scheme it is very sabine like

Keep up the good work, looking forward to watching this kit come together!

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2016, 01:16 AM »
I see that you're already jumping in feet first!  :)

Did you size up some templates to make sure you plates will be the right size? I'd hate for you to go through all this work and them to end up too large or too small.

How do you plan to get the "wrinkles" out of the tin?? I worked with a flat sheet of tin once, I can't imagine working with the formed stuff!!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2016, 06:41 AM »
I second the call for getting a pic with them, or templates, on you. the chest looks rather long and it would be best to check before shaping everything.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Xundor Wrex

• No, I'm Jango's friend...
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Following. Again, love your concept.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum
Progress so far
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:03 PM »
So sorry this took so long in the coming. Life has a way of getting in the way, and I also wanted to do a bit of dishing before sending in reference pictures, and about these reference pics...for some I'm on the ground...you see I didn't have anything to attach the pieces to and tape wasn't doing the job, so I had gravity help me out a bit. So...don't laugh...well I guess you can laugh...just don't tell me you're laughing...

So I've already had a bit of a sizing issue, and I've lopped off a piece from the bottom of the chest pieces. They've become slightly heart shaped which I'm kinda digging.

The only problem with dishing that I've been having is getting it to lay on my chest properly without jabbing and without protruding too far off. Suggestions for making this easier? I've been watching the dishing tutorials but getting the correct shape seems very arbitrary. I may just need to work with the metal more and get a feel for it.

My lower body pieces, however, have come out great in my opinion. I don't think I have too much work to do with them. I've even begun sanding the cod piece. I want to keep some of the dings from dishing as battle damage. I think it will look cool, will also make my life a bit easier. The sparks fly, but I can't fear them!
I've also been thinking of making my kama a burnt orange and adding a loin cloth.
Thoughts?

@Naran Batar
Thanks so much! and Sabine was definitely an inspiration! Nice that it's noticeable.

@Aria
I'm just hammering them with a ball-peen hammer on an anvil. It works great and doesn't take too much effort to get the creases straight. Plus, I want to keep some of the creases for my design, so it works out. The only problem is getting the right curves...darn this curvaceous body!

@Xundor Wrex
Nice to see you again, sir! The design is definitely changing though...won't stay the same for long!

also ab plate pic cuz i forgot it before:

So, I know that it has been a long time since my last post and since y'all asked for a better pic of the torso, and let me explain there is a good reason for it. I realized that the way the armor fit me changed whether I was laying down or standing up and also with what I was wearing. Because of this, in order to get the right idea of how it will look I decided to look for my flight suit first. And also while I was out I found the right kind of paints so I did paint everything. I also dished it out more.

I haven't added the weathering besides the dings yet but each ding will be sanded down to the metal and I want to add some burn marks around the diamond edge that doesn't quite match up so it looks like it was blown off and not the mistake that it was...but I still need to get the velcro to attach it and hopefully once I get that done I will be able to post a pic of how everything looks together.

here is everything almost finished painted

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2016, 02:17 PM by Kaaski » Logged
"Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart."

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:35 PM »
For the legs - thighs seem a little large but the rest is good. For the torso, you may need to take a little out near the armpit for mobility but that's something to double check once it's fully hammered. I'm mainly wondering how all the torso parts fit together, it seems your chest and ab don't fit together at all?

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:44 AM »
Just a gentle reminder that you should avoid double or triple posting as it is actually against forum rules. Use the "modify" button on the top right of the post to modify it.

I've combined your posts and deleted the extra ones. You can go back and fix the picture links in the original section if you would like.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I'm mainly wondering how all the torso parts fit together, it seems your chest and ab don't fit together at all?

I didn't realize that that would be a problem. I was having trouble shaping so I cut off the piece that would make them fit together more snugly, but if it is a problem then I have two possibilities to fix it.
1. have a triangular shaped separate piece that floats between the chest piece and the ab plate on both sides.
2. elongate the chest piece by adding rivets and layered tin
Would these options be ok?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Try and get a picture with the full torso set out if you can - I know it can be difficult getting selfies with heavier materials, but I still have a feeling that they look too long overall.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!