Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clone Backpack

• 58 Replies

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
Clone Backpack
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Well, it's high time I posted a new thread so why not chronicle the fabrication of my backpack? Since, I'm an about the town kind of guy, I need a pack that will hold all my dets, rope, loot and other essentials to get me through my merc day and what better way than a surplus clone backpack? ... My thoughts exactly.

Let's start with a tried and true pep file, cut and prefolded:

I used 110lb card stock, scored all of the folds and will be using elmer's glue sticks to bond.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 09:59 PM by Tier » Logged
Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100
Re: Clone Backpack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Looking forward to this. Since I'll be making the same one.  :laugh:

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Tier

• Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Tabs were glued, progress was made, all while watching the the It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown:

Let's see if I can finish pepping before the weekend...

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:06 PM »
That's coming together nicely.

Tier

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Looks good to me! I am going to leave the bottom flat for now and accessorize it later. Now on to resin (sometime in November  :( )

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Looks good to me! I am going to leave the bottom flat for now and accessorize it later. Now on to resin (sometime in November  :( )

I'm at the same place.  8) I put the bottom on mine, but I'm considering removing it. Its just taped on so I can do that.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Looks great! I used a pep file as a foam template and then coated it with smooth on 65d but I think I scaled mine a little small. What did you scale yours too?

Tier

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:30 AM »
I scaled my pack to fit my back plate, it is 10" wide by 14" (17" with the bottom part attached). I do not know the scale since I just measured and entered the mm conversion. Hope this helps!

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Are you planning to use this as a load bearing backpack, and if so, do you have any ideas as to how to accomplish this!

Tier

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Are you planning to use this as a load bearing backpack, and if so, do you have any ideas as to how to accomplish this!

Yes, it will bear a load. I am planning to incorporate a sound system, camel pack bladder and some internal to hold stuff.  I am still brainstorming a bit on the attachment mechanism... I may end up cutting my back plate similar to a jet pack setup and then use a harness that I would wear under my vest, but I am not keen on cutting it. I may end up using an external harness attached to my ammo belt... need to think on all this a bit more!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I decided that on mine I was going to go with shoulder straps. I'll make those out of nylon webbing and rivet to the pack.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Finally got around to comparing and I scaled mine a bit smaller. The sideshow figures that have these packs just have shoulder straps like so

Also any updates on this? Would love some motivation to finish mine lol

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:50 AM »
If you make it nice and sturdy you could bolt it directly onto the back plate with removable bolts, then fix on some straps that go over the shoulders and attach to your belt (kinda like those old military braces (Americans call them suspenders) to give them some extra support.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Tier

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I just finished putting resin on the outside last night. Today i am going to Rondo the inside... probably twice. I will post photos later.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!