Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alex Fett's Armor!

• 35 Replies

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
Alex Fett's Armor!
« on: Oct 15, 2014, 04:32 PM »
So i decided to go lazy in the spring and bought all my amor pre-formed but needed it done quickly for comic-con with family so I just painted it. I'm gonna upload pics of previouse and then begin the new forming and sizing through out the winter.

Here it is all laid out on my old vest (I made a new much better vest)

This was my paint scheme, though I altered it a bit.

Then I painted a base hammered silver.

Heres the black and weathering process

Here's one of my weapons that I probably won't use.... but thought why not...

That was version one. Heres version two! (check my bio for a link to the helmet's.)

So, same piece's I just reshaped like half of them, sanded and repainted them, I'm currently working on attaching snaps to my vest and flightsuit for new attachment.

Back plate: after some advice from everyone, I tried to trim and mold it differently let me know how I did!

kidney or "butt" plate

I used the same black and silver paint as above but here's the new blue I used.

Now from the bottom up. boot spats!

Then shins

Knees.. So I'm worried about these, I need the most feedback on the new ones I made. thanks!

Thighs.

Cod piece, I made a brand new with the templates off the Dented Helmet.

So here it all is!!

Now onto the chest armor.
Abdomen is first.

Chest plates, I have a decal on each. One is the image for my local clans tag(right), the other is a homemade one me and my dad made up.(left)

I also reformed the collar. Thoughts?

I left the shoulders black and red because of the decals, hopefully it doesn't stand out in a bad way. Well here it all is!

(with helmet)

Thanks everybody!!!! Leave me any comments, suggestions ect. Thanks again for looking and reading!

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2015, 03:58 PM by Alex Fett » Logged

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Armor.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Nice work so far vod!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice work so far vod!

Thanks! The chest peices are to wide for me any idea's on how to fix it? should I trim off outside edges, trying forming it more..?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Bad news vod.  Your plates look like Schubiwon plates, which are barred from use due to poor quality :(

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I thought if people fixed the schubiwan armor it was okay to use?  I bet I'm probably wrong though :(

Did you buy them on ebay Alex? 

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Bad news vod.  Your plates look like Schubiwon plates, which are barred from use due to poor quality :(

No there not I remember looking at that before I bought them and was gonna get schubiwon plates but then saw that aren't permited and got em from another random guy on ebay xD

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:22 AM »
I thought if people fixed the schubiwan armor it was okay to use?  I bet I'm probably wrong though :(

Did you buy them on ebay Alex?

Yes but not from Schubiwon as I just said I saw that and avoided their plates on purpose.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:51 AM »
No there not I remember looking at that before I bought them and was gonna get schubiwon plates but then saw that aren't permited and got em from another random guy on ebay xD

I'm 100% sure that those are in fact Schubiwon. You may not have bought them from the guy himself, but they were at one time made by him. Someone else probably figured out they didn't work. The shape of the plates (specifically the collar) isn't like anything else. He made his own templates. See attached...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBA-FETT-FAN-MADE-ARMOR-ADULT-Standard-set-/380262393941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588967a855

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Yeh definitely looks like shrubbyswan armour to me.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:32 PM »
UGH!! -_- anyway to modify and or change some of it to make it eligable?

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:35 PM »
I'm 100% sure that those are in fact Schubiwon. You may not have bought them from the guy himself, but they were at one time made by him. Someone else probably figured out they didn't work. The shape of the plates (specifically the collar) isn't like anything else. He made his own templates. See attached...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBA-FETT-FAN-MADE-ARMOR-ADULT-Standard-set-/380262393941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588967a855

Yep I would agee. exact match except for cod peice. Can I like swith some peices out but keep like the shins and back?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2014, 12:56 AM »
UGH!! -_- anyway to modify and or change some of it to make it eligable?
If the plates are properly trimmed and shaped, the knees and cod replaced, the leg plates trimmed and altered...  Yeah, you could do it.  You'll have your work cut out for you, but it's possible.

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:18 AM »
If the plates are properly trimmed and shaped, the knees and cod replaced, the leg plates trimmed and altered...  Yeah, you could do it.  You'll have your work cut out for you, but it's possible.

Well I'm in know in hurry so I guess i'll work on it...  by leg plates do you mean shins or thigh?

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:07 PM »

What's wrong with the knees?

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:39 AM »
What's wrong with the knees?

They're shaped wrong

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:37 PM »
The collar is also too narrow so you'll need another one. The outside of the collar and chest plates should line up. The back plate is also shaped in a really wonky way. The shape of it is weird, the shaping is weird, and I'm sure the size is weird. It'd probably be best to just make another one of those as well.

The boot armor, shin armor, thigh armor, and chest plates you can probably salvage. The rest you'll have to replace.

I'd suggest going ahead and making the entire set yourself. Yeah, you're going to be out money but it's better to do it right the first time. Don't rush this. It's much better to take your time and do everything right. Otherwise you'll end up making even more work in the long run.

Another thing to be wary of is mixing paint brands. It looks like you used rustoleum and krylon paints. Both of these are notorious for not getting along. Stick with one brand, I'd suggest rustoleum over krylon. Try not to put lacquer over matte or matte over lacquer and not to mix plastic and not plastic paints. Before you paint any of your armor pieces you should test the paints on a piece of scrap plastic to make sure they get along.

The paint scheme on your armor looks good to me, I especially like the design on your chest plates. That red diamond really pops. One thing you might consider is using dark grey for the flight suit and a light grey for the armor vest. Black tends to not take pictures very well. Take your time vod and you'll have an awesome kit soon enough.

Do you have a helmet yet? If not, which one are you thinking of getting? I can't recommend NME's helmets enough.
[/quot

Thanks, check my signature for my helmet I made a DIY fiberglass that ill be smoothing out in the next few weeks. I already have a black vest and black jumpsuit sadly. I plan on making a new collar because a friend gave me a sheet of Sinatra big enough to make a few parts, back plate I've absalutly hated because it just doesn't fit or look right so ill Defunitly be doing something with that, as far as the knees go they look the same to all others I've seen but I am re-shaping them because I don't like the look anyways, and most the paint is the same but the black and red the weird black spots and everything was for a weathered look on purpose. Any idea where to get Sinatra to make the new back plate and stuff though? Here's the big catch with all of this. I'm only 15 so I don't have a job
My money is from mowing lawns and cleaning snowy driveways. I threw it all together in like 2 months for a comic con with family and now I'm finishing it to get it approved an would love all the help I can get from all of you!! Thanks again and tell me any ideas comments suggestions or remarks you for have me, I want this done right.
Thanks!

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:41 PM »
Thanks, check my signature for my helmet I made a DIY fiberglass that ill be smoothing out in the next few weeks. I already have a black vest and black jumpsuit sadly. I plan on making a new collar because a friend gave me a sheet of Sinatra big enough to make a few parts, back plate I've absalutly hated because it just doesn't fit or look right so ill Defunitly be doing something with that, as far as the knees go they look the same to all others I've seen but I am re-shaping them because I don't like the look anyways, and most the paint is the same but the black and red the weird black spots and everything was for a weathered look on purpose. Any idea where to get Sinatra to make the new back plate and stuff though? Here's the big catch with all of this. I'm only 15 so I don't have a job
My money is from mowing lawns and cleaning snowy driveways. I threw it all together in like 2 months for a comic con with family and now I'm finishing it to get it approved an would love all the help I can get from all of you!! Thanks again and tell me any ideas comments suggestions or remarks you for have me, I want this done right.
Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure if this is a hard and fast rule, but if you're only 15 you'll have to join the Verd'ika corps since (as I understand it) you have to be 18 to joint the full mercs.  (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=61064.msg888639#msg888639)  that is the post for the Corps and the full rules and regs are on there.  This doesn't mean you can't do a full kit to app standards, but it does mean that you may not have to trash the kit you have...but I still would.  Anyway, good luck

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:13 AM »
If I read it correctly i can join this with my parents permission and stuff for it.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:26 AM »
If I read it correctly i can join this with my parents permission and stuff for it.

I'm pretty sure to join while under 18 you need to be the child of an official member. It's not a case f parents permission.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure to join while under 18 you need to be the child of an official member. It's not a case f parents permission.

Well that sucks... Because I know neither of my parents have any interest in makin a kit. I'm screwed I guess..

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Well that sucks... Because I know neither of my parents have any interest in makin a kit. I'm screwed I guess..

I have to wait too, but really the amount of time it takes turn 18 is the amount of time we have to spend making perfect kits, or that's how I see it anyway.

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I have to wait too, but really the amount of time it takes turn 18 is the amount of time we have to spend making perfect kits, or that's how I see it anyway.

Yeah I guess but I've still got 4 years... I guess ill just go and use everyone's help to help me with it. Ill still wear it to cons with family just not as a member I guess..

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2014, 04:02 PM »
You really should check out the verd'ika corps. Also contact your local clan. Even though you're under 18 and can't become an official member they'll probably still let you troop events with them. You're 15 so you have 3 years to get your kit up to CRLs. Just because you're under 18 doesn't mean you should give up or settle for a lower quality kit. I can't stress taking your time enough. There is no rush and the more patient and slowly you go the better your final product will be.

As for where to get Sintra, you can get it at most local plastic shops and you can also order it online. Shop around for the lowest price before you buy it though. For an entire kit the plastic should cost somewhere between $20 and $40. For example I use 6mm sintra and can get it for around $48 for a 4' by 8' sheet. A 4' by 8' sheet should be enough plastic for about two kits depending on how many armor parts you decide to have.

Yeah I've been in contact with my local clan and ill still meet up with them a bit at cons as stuff. I ony need about a 3x3 sheet of sintra for a back black and other smaller peices

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble Vod, but the others are right, just because you can't be OM at this point doesn't mean you should feel dismayed.  Plus in Mando culture you're an adult at 13 and ready to marry by 16 so...

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Arno Kal-Torra

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble Vod, but the others are right, just because you can't be OM at this point doesn't mean you should feel dismayed.  Plus in Mando culture you're an adult at 13 and ready to marry by 16 so...

Exactly... xD Thanks though.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!