Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first wip!!!

• 28 Replies

Drakus Cin'Ciri

• Stay Shiny and Keep Flying
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: My first wip!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Awesome work so far Vod  ;D
You could run either way for the weathering. The double weathering effect really does add a lot to any helmet when it is done right. It adds a more realistic feel of the paint layers being peeled up from abuse seen in combat. I have also seen some members start with a coat of black before adding their main colors to create a scorched effect that looks similar to the grey weathering done on boba's helmet. I would recommend looking at other helmets to get an idea of what type of weathering style you ultimately want your helmet to have.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress  ;D

MMCC: #1043, 501st Legion: TI-51416, Rebel Legion: Generic Jedi - Drakus Cin'Ciri, Cabur Akaata: 100
BL-17 WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=141089.0
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Wow, Eric! Very nice work indeed!!!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night, Bro!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Hello all,

Did some painting.  Let me know if the wear and tear is too much.  I still have to do the white around the visor and some black on the cheeks, wonder how the white is going to go on with the red under?  Might have to change my choice of colors.

Here we go...

Just a question, to remove the shine, is steel wool the way to go or is it to coarse?

Thanks and let me know what you think.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Try laying down a layer of grey or white primer before u put the white surface layer on.  The primer is a bit thicker than normal paint and better at covering.  By using s lighter color primer you'll make it easier for the white paint to properly cover the layer it is going over. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Good idea,  Jorad Werde.  Should of though about that my self, must of had a brain fart ;).  Will try to mask and re-prime the area today and see how it comes out.

Thanks

Balou

« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Looking good, bro!  Like the colors, too!

So, you did gun metal gray, toothpaste for weathering, then white.  Did you add more weathering over the stuff already there and the do red? I can see the layered white and red, but can't really figure how the "T" will come out more to look forward to!! Can't wait!!

Either way, looks very nice indeed! Watching closely and taking notes!

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014, 03:06 PM by jmchabot » Logged
B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Salut jmchabot,

Did you add more weathering over the stuff already there and the do red? I can see the layered white and red

Yes I did add some more tooth paste before painting the red.  The area around the  visor will show three layers of weathering, so gun metal gray-white-and red.  The final color is white.  Anyway thats the plan.

More soon

Beleck Kase

« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Got the final colors on but something went wrong with the primer around the visor.  The paint pealed right off when I unmasked.  I used primer and paint of the same brand, and followed the instruction to the letter.  Anyway, will try to redo or think of someting. 

Aside my primer issue, I'm happy with the result.  Black or brown wash still to come not sure yet, have to read on that first.

I'll be switching to my armor wip prety soon.  Flight suit is almost ready, girth belt is under way and armor templates are cut( will be looking for sizing opinion). 

Later.

« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Wow Balou!  Niiiiice!

The paint that peeled, did it just go to the gunmetal? If so let it be weathering...

B.o.B.B. #008

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Temperature will sometimes do that with paint

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Beleck Kase

« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Hello again...

The paint that peeled, did it just go to the gunmetal? If so let it be weathering...

No, unfortunatly.  I have already sanded down to remove the white and the defective primer.  Will re-shoot tonight without the primer.

Temperature will sometimes do that with paint

That could be it.  The garage is heated to a minimum and when I need it I turn on the heat.  The primer must of been to cold.  Hope it goes well tonight.

Later for more update...

Beleck Kase

« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Hello!

Finally got some time to work on my helmet, re-did the section around the visor because the paint was peeling off.  Did the black and brown wash( not sure I did a good job) for a first time, I'm happy.  Doing my first build was quite challenging and rewarding.  Next step will be the visor and padding inside. And then, I will be working on my soft parts.

Pics time...

Does anyone have an idea for a blue visor?  I think I'm going to go clear sheild with blue tint applied to it.  I just don't know how its going to turnout.

Later...

« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Looks great, Eric! Your RF looks amazing!  Love the colors and your weathering, too!

Looking forward to the soft parts Wil!

B.o.B.B. #008

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Awesome! Heinz ketchup can is a nice touch too! Color coordinated!  :P

Also, there are colored visors available in the supply depot if you wanted to go that route.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!