Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first wip!!!

• 28 Replies

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
My first wip!!!
« on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:47 PM »
After meeting some very nice people at the Quebec Comicon, I got hooked.  Here is my first wip.  Please if you see any error or have any input, let me know. 

I haven't decided on colours yet, I'm concentrating on making the helmet solid.  Hopping to fiber glass soon.

Here is where I'm at:

Cutting the bicycle helmet to make the dome.

Putting it together.

More soon.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: My first wip!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Looks good, so far!  :)

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

gnomKOLIN

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Really good start, vode! ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014, 01:38 AM by gnomKOLIN » Logged

Tusken Waiter

• Heavy Class Mando | Race-Tusken Raider | kills-284
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:57 AM »
Looks really god! Tusken Waiter approved!  ;)

Im a Heavy Class Mandalorina by the name of Davun Ijod. I was born Tusken Raider, turned into a Rogue Bounty Hunter. Was adopted by a Mandalorian couple after they stole a prisoner shuttle craft carrying several types of species of of people. I am now the shadow that tends to follow. Now give me my credits 
GIFSoup[/URL

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:16 AM »
More work done.  The ear caps and the RF.  Still lots to do tho.  I'll be posting my armor planning soon.

For now my problem is how to add a mechanism that will hold the RF in the up position???

Hoping to glass this weekend.

Any comment are more than welcome.

Enjoy and later...

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Remember to put liquid resin on the outside and the fiberglass matt/cloth/paste on the inside, It's a mistake for too many people make and it will take ages to fix as you have to sand back the texture of the fiberglass, resining the outside means you only have a thin layer to smooth, don't cake it in bondo either, the paper surface is more or less smooth already, all you really need to do is resin it, sand back the resin until it is smooth (you might need to lightly skim it with bondo but don't load it on) Then bondo any gaps between pieces like the cheeks and visor etc..

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Kitala-Enby and hope every thing goes as I have planned .  Should I be concerned about warpage when I resin the outside of the helmet?

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Thanks for the info Kitala-Enby and hope every thing goes as I have planned .  Should I be concerned about warpage when I resin the outside of the helmet?

I don't think you have to worry about that. But go with thin coats.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Hello everyone, got some step completed, fiberglass is done, ears caps are done and range finder is on its way.  I'm in never ending bondo phase :rolleyes:.  man is it ever time consuming.  Can't wait to see that done and going to the primer.

Hope everything is looking good, I like to think so.  If you see anything wrong let me know.

I still have to sand down the face.

I'll be strarting on the armor pretty soon.

Later and thanks for the help.

Balou

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:04 AM »
that looks pretty good vod. Something I would suggest is prime between filler coats. it helps give you a better idea of what needs the work. But this is a perfect example of how to do a scratch build helmet.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Woo hooo!

Got the first coat of primer on. 

It realy highlight the defects.  Need some more work on the face, cheeks and the ear caps.  Will get that done tomorrow if I get a chance.

I was wondering if there is a way to fix where I went thru the coat of resin?  I will try to cover the areas with finishing putty.  Don't know if thats the proper way tho.

Thanks again for the help.

Balou.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:41 PM »
 :o

I bet you're enjoying doing fiberglass on that a lot more than at work, eh?   :P

Nice ALU rf, man! I assume it is aluminium? It looks very cool! I'm impressed,Little Bro!!!!

Nice to see I'm not the only one in the family with the bug.... I wonder if Pat will catch it too??

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Beleck Kase

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Salut Marc!

Nice ALU rf, man! I assume it is aluminium?

Yes its Alu.  Made it from scraped Alu I had.

See you next week.

Balou

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Great progress Vod! That is a very nice and clean build you've got there. To confirm your suspicions, yes spot putty is how to fix small blemishes here and there. Also if you alternate colors of primer between sanding phased you'll be able to make that thing smooth as glass when you have it finished, but you can leave some blemishes and chock it up to battle damage! Great luck to you on your build and progress and I'll keep an eye out to watch your progress.

QMU#084

Beleck Kase

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Hello all,

Started to paint today, the two first coat of gun metal grey is done.  Next will come the arctic white and the first sign of weathering.  Hope it all goes well.

And here is what it should look in the end:

Regarding my next colors wich is white, should I paint the whole helmet(to create double layer weathering) or mask and paint only the surrounding of the visor? 

Any comment on the colors is more than welcome.

Later everyone.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!