Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dynas Custom Hybrid Arena/Rocket Jetpack

• 30 Replies

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Dynas Custom Hybrid Arena/Rocket Jetpack
« on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:55 AM »
I am planning on building my jetpack finally. I would ilke to have the options to swap the missile out with the cone. So it will be a hybrid of the arena and standard boba jet packs.  That being said I do not plan on doing the ball thrusters, but rather have them just strait out the bottom.

I'm also considering modifying the WOF templates a bit.

Materials will be PVC and Sintra, with bondo to blend the hard edges.  And greebs.  here is what I have so far. 

These pieces weren't lining up right.

Spent 2 hours last night messing with posterboard templates. I had to modify some. Also decided to make 3 new ribs which are identical.  Also I will probably swap out the water bottles for strait up 2" PVC. 

2 issues Im having.  The backplate side has a curve inward. (when its worn on your back it curves towards your but). I'm debating removing this and having a strait drop but am concerned it might tilt inward.

2nd: the tubes on the side are surrounded but the actual frame of the pack and they dip down leaving part of the circular tube exposed. It looks cool but is a real pain to get to line up correctly. Any idea's on this?

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2015, 09:31 PM by Dynas » Logged

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

Dynas

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Dynas Custom Hybrid jetpack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:28 PM »
Update.   

Jetpack UPDATES!!!!

Ribs and PVC pipe. I used 6mm sintra of the Boba Templates.  Pipe is 2" pvc on the outside, 3" for center tube. The caps are chain link fence post.

Top view.  With coin for spacing. I'm considering trimming that in.  May leave it for beacons and lights and what not. Thoughts?

This is the pain in my backside part. I was hoping to not have to bend the backplate and deal with the dreaded backplate kidney pop.  Also I will need to cut another quarter circle in the side plating to create the open exposed pipe. Once that is done the ripping will be trimmed down. Also I plan to trim down the top ribbing as well.

Something like this

Front view. The gaping at the top will be filled with bondo where the pipe meets the sintra.

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Looking good! Interested to see more.

Dynas

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Thanks. Been doing trimming. Gonna get everything fitted and glued this weekend hopefully.  I really am having trouble with the greeblies for constructing the boba rocket.  Any ideas. Particularly the conical parts.

Mark II

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:14 PM »
I love the look of it! Keep at it! Any updates?

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Dynas

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:10 AM »
Minor fine tuning this weekend. Pics look much the same. Decided to add cylon raider lights. Finished sanding and shaping and cut a new bottom piece. Also finished the rocket.
Glueing to begin soon.

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Update.

Another 6 hours of work this weekend fine tuning the fitting and re cutting a bottom piece and sanding pieces to fit the pack. Cut out the back access hatch and also prepared for the light rigging. I will have the cylon raider lights (larson light) running across the back as well. Also finally figured out the rocket with the help of Kuu. thanks Vod.

Picked up rub n buff and dowel rods. And glued/nailed them in place. Here is the skeleton.

Mark II

Aur'on Gur

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Shaping up nicely. It's really gonna add that extra zing to your already great kit.

M.M.C.C.      #1127
Gunslinger    #1
Official Troops XVIII
 Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid...'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Dynas

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Small update.

Started hand sewing my harness. Hand sewing sucks! More picks to come. Thoughts on if I should have the 2 plastic parachute clips stick out like Jango or if I should use the metal hooks like Boba? I picked up the following:

14 feet pf 2" seat belt strap
4x 2" metal slips
4x 2" metal rings
3x 2" plastic parachute clips

And the endcaps. I glued the ribs onto the PVC pipes last night. Also carved little windows for my lights and glued those. Concerned with the nozzles breaking off so I will glue the endcaps last.  Decided to have a "rod" hold them in place in addition to PVC glue.

Drilled small hole across and used a nail to hold them in place. Will glue the nozzle and then glue on the end caps.

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:51 AM »
New update. Lots of work over the holiday. About 8 hours of gluing and tinkering with straps and harness stuff. My lumbar back support came in. Also got some nice stuff for xmas. I change the facing of all my pics in imgur but for whatever reason they are not loading the right way... Anyone know how to fix that?

Inside of end nozzles. I used 2 water bottle caps and a crap ton of PVC glue. This way they are held in place. Also used the nail as well.

Harness mockup. They will be screw into the center pipe. Decided to keep the 2" clips and seatbelt webbing.  Hand sew the strapping over the clips.

Lower tube siding and top tube with pink foam to fill the void. This here just to have something for the bondo to rest against as I don't want it oozing inside the jetpack all over the place. These are glued in with PVC glue. In fact everything is glue together with PVC glue. Pink areas will be solid with bondo.

Inside of jetpack as viewed from back.

Notice the paper here. Just folded and glued in place with PVC glue. Again only done to keep bondo from seeping everywhere.

Full shot of pack with some of the greebs and nozzles and rocket. A little fuzzy on this one.
http://i.imgur.com/13QXf58.gif

Backplate hatch door. Basically i used magnets and recessed them into bits of sintra. The gap is just wide enough for my straps to fit through. Also I'm not too worried about the gap as it will be hidden since it rest against the back plate.

Mind was blown when i  figured out the FLUX CAPACITOR! Kuu ruined back to the future for me!

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014, 11:53 AM by Dynas » Logged

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Sanding Update.  Sanded saturday for about 3 hours with palm sander and block sander and by hand  :-\

Lots of gaps and rough bondo. Going to apply coat two tonight since it will be above 50.

Can see all the crumblies and cracks.  I don't think i mixed the hardner good enough.

Some of the more smooth stuff.

Glued the Thrusters on. Will bondo the bottom and fill in the gaping and cracks tonight.

Mark II

« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:35 AM »
You too know the pains of the beast that is Bondo. You've got some tight crevices to get into, it's looking good.

Dynas

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Yeah, applied coat 2 and did expanding foam in the bottom. gaps. Put in blink lights next then attached the back and finally a 3 bondo/sand.

Question on if anyone knows the ideal height that the jetpack harness slots should be in the bakplate. Right now I'm unsure as how high it should be.  maybe 2" from the top of the backplate.

Anyone who has a Jango/Boba weigh in? Or anyone with custom packs as well. I dont want it to sag way down.

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Update. Backplate has been attached and applied bondo for the third (and hopefully final time). Will sand it tonight. Decided to give up on the electronics for now.  The accesss hatch needs a little shaping as my tack nails puts some more bend in my back piece. I also played around with color schemes.  Thoughts on which one is best.

Notice the parts where the pipe meets the angled sintra on the edges, that is the pain in my backside. 

As for color schemes any opinions on these?

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3   - For this one ignore the feint yellow lines that are covered by green. I was experimenting and didn't like it. 

Version 4

Mark II

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:51 AM »
This is pretty cool man. I like the original ideas ...nice work so far!

SevenCatStudios

Dynas

« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:22 PM »
I have some ideas for painting some more blue stipes to break up the green and make the side tupes yellow as well. still trying to refine the color scheme.

A new issue. Finally finished adding the greeblies and sanding.  Started priming to night.

As for the harness i Managed to get it high enough but it tilts to much. I am considering adding a foam bad in the small of my back that protrudes about 3 inches and sewing it into the harness or possibly my vest. Another thought looking at the pics is perhaps the straps on the jetpack are too low or too much slack. Ill tinker and see if I can get them to to tighten up which may make them flatter. That may be easier than trying to rig up a pad in the lower back. Just thinking out loud here.

Mullreel do you have anything at the small of your lower back to keep it from tilting out or is the backplate enough?

See pics below.

Notice the sagging and protrusion.

Me holding it to the desired position with my backplate slid into place. I dont think its going to be enough.

Thoughts?

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Big update.

As far as the harness goes here it is.

and the back plate

A close up. Not as "clean" as the normal jetpack but it works. Basically just cut a slot and used the head gun to bend it out. Then painted and washed.

Only odd thing is I have my harness straps basically permanently affixed to the chest armor now. Its a pain in the backside to push the clips through and I don't want to deal with that every time so I just decided to let it hang.

On to the stuff that matters... ( or rather the fun stuff)

Primed- a few tiny bondo spots but after 4 coats I gave up. After paint it will hardly be noticed.

Rub n Buff, a little of half a tube for the whole pack.

As for colors.  Hours of masking for 10 minutes of painting.  :-\
Yellow first- i had to come back and do a touch up as my lines didn't line up. But you get the idea.

Black- The center tube rubber greeblie all came off when I peeled the tape. Rub n buff primer and all. Again had to go back and touch up. Might do the rub n buff metal over the paint for this part

Did blue to, waiting for it to dry. Green tonight and should be all done except for final wash and weathering.

Mark II

Zechs

• Overkill is underrated
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Dude, that ain't a rocket...It's a cruise missile!   :P

AKA "Lightning Rod"

"Heh.  You survived?  I can fix that."

MMCC #1082
BOMB #41
MABEL #54
ALUMINATI #28

Dynas

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Go Big or Go Home!

Mark II

Dynas

« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:49 AM »
MARK 2 Completed. Got new spat. Got double sleeves. Next upgrades are weapons, knife and assualt/sniper rifle. Anyway, after laboring away until bedtime last night I have officially become MABEL!

Enjoy.

Painted Pre Weathered

Black Wash Phase

FINAL POST WEATHER COMPLETED JETPACK

Tonight I will don it in all its glory with my backplate and pray that it is not crooked and the straps are high enough on my back. My wife will be serving as squire duty. I can no longer gear up alone. :)

Mark II

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Solid work! Also that harness system is pretty crafty, may have to steal it later  :P

Dynas

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Steal away. Its easy to make. Probably took 2-3  hours to hand sew the clips.
Jetpack probably has close to 50 hours of work.

Here are pics with my torso armor.

Questions are expected. I went into this knowing full well i was the test subject.

Managed to talk the wife into being my squire by bribing her with candy.
My neck seal is a little snug but I can breath. Sometimes it gets cocked to one side(i think because of the center straps. Might have to worry about rigging those to the sides.) We will see at all con. Basically i just twist it back.

Does this seem to fit right.

Mark II

Mikelus Keldab

• It's broken again? Ru gotal jahaala!
Re: Dynas Custom Hybrid Arena/Rocket Jetpack
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Dude... Wow.  :o

Also, digging the 40K greebs  ;D

M.A.J.I.C. #140; M.A. #128; Mir'Sheb #XXXVIII; E.R.A. #031; Aluminati #025; M.A.D #054/Beta;

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Dynas

« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Dude... Wow.  :o

Also, digging the 40K greebs  ;D

Thanks
Yeah, I have those hidden all over my kit. On my gaunts and pistols as well.  It allows me to "cross universe" ....sorta lol

Mark II

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Very nice scratch build!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!