Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] App pics p4 - First armor, made of darkness and swag

• 49 Replies

Seltas Atin

• Mandominatrix
Hello hello y'all little mandos !

I've been planning on building a mandalorian armor for a while now. As a pennyless student, this project is going to take some time but I really want the final look to be perfect enough to become an official member.
Sooo let's get down to serious business. This is my exact idea of how I expect my mando to look like :

Yup. Full black.
As I really love Boba Fett's prototype armor, I wanted a monochrome armor as well. Why black ? Well because it's as dark as my soul of course, you dummie ! Just kidding. I just like the idea of a ninja-like bounty hunter. Also, black has this femme fatale touch, if you follow my mind. So yup, I want to be a ninja-femme-fatale-bounty-hunter (does that even sound good ?). And more casually, I love black. Black on black may sound weird at first, but let me explain how subtle I am (jk). Sooo, you noticed it, it's a Nite Owl armor (Bo-Katan ftw). As we say in France, "le Diable est dans les détails" which literally means "the Devil is in the details". Indeed, I want to mix different shades and different types of black (and also different type of materials) to create details and add some relief so it won't just be plain black on black. More precisely, I'm planning on :
- A fake leather vest (snake skin PU or something funny like this)
- A velvet cape, Boba fett style
- Girth belt + leather belt with a ton of pockets on it
- Feminine leather gloves
- Sophisticated gauntlets (aaah I can't wait to have fun with them adding LEDs and all kind of nice futuristic-looking bling)
- Falling from the left shoulder plate (on which there will also be a nice mythosaur skull painted with love in kind of a varnished black), some wookie scalps and real human hair (yeah, I'm hardcore liek dis).
- Leather blaster holders
- Leather boots

As I want my armor to be feminine, I didn't want to use a flightsuit. I'm planning on a skinny long sleeves tshirt and leggings. Maybe something like this :

What do you think ? Yay or nay ? Is the flightsuit mandatory in your opinion ?

For the boots, I was thinking about these :

About the weapons, blasters are usual and I like them pretty much. I had the idea of making some sort of whip but I don't know if that sound alright (♫ TADADADA TADADA ♪♫ FUTURISTIC INDIANA JONES STYLE).

As I live in a tiny flat, I'm not able to craft and build lot of things so I'll just buy all the plates and bucket (which I will paint myself of course. Aaah~, weathering is so pleasant ♥). I'll make what I can and I'll save money for the rest.
I'm really hoping this to be great in the end so if you have any advice, any thought, any criticism that could help me improve my project, please go ahead !

Thank you for your time, and see you around in the galaxy ! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015, 09:21 AM by Seltas » Logged
[Armor WIP] (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
MERCS #1302 | EMTS #133 | MiB #4 | Mandalolita #14

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: [WIP] - First armor, made of darkness and swag
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:57 PM »
First of all, awesome concept. I personally love black on black as well (my next kit will be basically that with a pop of color). Second of all, I really like the idea of you incorporating leather into it, very neat. And the two ideas for the leggings is really interesting as well-- I say you'll have to be a bit more careful using that style throughout the whole concept, meaning using it in your top and vest as well. Overall, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
Facebook | Instagram
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:56 PM »
This looks awesome! Cant wait to see this get going. Good luck vod!

QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 02:16 AM »
A lot of people think black on black can't work... they're wrong.  Different textures, different levels of shininess, that's what will work.

As long as your top and leggings look like they COULD be one piece, it should be able to pass.

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:11 AM »
Love the concept of this and also the title too haha
And as said above ^ you should be ok to use the leggings and sleeved shirt as long as it looks like its the same material and it appears to be a one piece suit.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this kit :D

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:48 AM »
>switching to french !

Style, rédaction, 20/20 mam'zelle !
Non seulement ton idée a l'air de tout déchirer mais en plus le pavé césar était agréable à lire :D

Bon courage ! N'ai hâte de zieuter la suite :)

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:50 AM »
As long as the top and bottom parts of the base layer match so they appear to be one piece I wouldn't image it's an issue.

Safest bet as always is to have a chat with the app team and your local Ruus'alor.

That's my only concern...other than that looks fantasique

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:57 AM »
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but one of the reasons many people avoid black on black is that the armor tends to disappear when you get your picture taken unless it's in just the right light, or you've trimmed the armor in a different color.  If you're sure you want black on back I'd suggest weathering your plates around the edges so a bit of 'metal' is showing.  That being said, it's your kit and you can do what you want with it.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Wak'Rust Atin

• Twin Suns Clan / "Lady French Goat"
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Maybe some different black and grey colors, Batman style. A grey suit with black plates or a black suit with grey plates. Or patterns with really loud colours as orange, green, blue or a white mytho skull design (Punisher style). Something that you can find only on armor parts and make us see the plates...

;D

Twin Suns Forum Board /// Twin Suns Facebook
MMCC#1042 /// QMU#50 // EMTS#113 // M5SP #11 // BEARDS #086

Kar'ta Ne'tra

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Or colour on the edges of the armour only  (not the front) to create a sillhouette effect. Bright orange or green would be wicked!

"This is the way" - Google Maps
Special Weapons Brigade
OM #1220

Seltas Atin

• Mandominatrix
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Merci, thank you all for your thoughts !

Sooo most of you have been saying, if I recall correctly, that the top must match the leggings as if it was made from a single piece of cloth. Ok, I'll make sure I'll chose wisely.
About the color choice, don't you worry, I've been thinking quite a lot about how to make the whole thing look good. Darth Vader's plain black outfit is stunning, mine will be even better. Well, I'll try to make it happen (hahaha, such self confidence). I won't change my mind about a monochrome mando, black is love, black is life. I'll be particularly careful when chosing different shades of black and different textures to make sure nothing disapears into the darkness of the whole armor (trust me, I'm super stylish irl (and super modest too haha) and if I can make my full black outfits look super awesome, I can make my full black armor look super awesome as well (did I tell you how modest I was ?)). I'm more afraid about setting together every plate than painting everything.
Anyway, you'll sure be able to follow the building and warning me if you think I'm doing anything wrong (please DO tell me. Be franc.)

Thank you agains for your comments, I wasn't expecting so many answers. It motivates me even more.
See you soon then !

[Armor WIP] (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
MERCS #1302 | EMTS #133 | MiB #4 | Mandalolita #14
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2014, 02:43 PM »
If you want black on black to pop to it's full effect then you need to use the different blacks if you don't want trim colours then you can use yellow black, red black or blue black (which is usually 85-95% pure black mixed with the other colour, other colours work as well but the only other ones that are really effective are purple and green). Similarly you can use a dark red wash to get a similar effect to layering oxblood with black polish on boots.

Beskar'gam Progress: Design Stage
Ren Tinith Concept Thread [Drop Pack - Armoury]

Winter's Dawn

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:04 PM »
As we say in France, "le Diable est dans les détails" which literally means "the Devil is in the details".

It's funny that you mention that. In Star Wars there is an insect species called the Xi Char. They are incredibly precise engineers. So much so that their religion is based on manufacturing and their motto is "The deity is in the details". Perhaps your mando could be a follower of their religion  :D

There are some pros and cons to a black on black color scheme. But based on your concept you should be fine.

As you said, just look at Vader. He is a great example of black on black. But do keep in mind that even he wasn't solid black. His helmet and chest/shoulder armor had a gun mettle color on it. If anything I would do something like that to your helmet. At the very least something like gunmetal grey around the eyes so your visor doesn't get lost in the rest of the helmet.

Also get lots of blinky things! Lights offer just the right amount of color. Some lights in the chest and maybe a few on each gauntlet will add another great layer to your kit.

Personally I like the pants on the left (girl with the gold bracelets). The other pants are too dark. If you could find or make a top that continues the leather pattern of the pants up into the sleeves you'd have a very cool look and you'd create the illusion of a one piece suit. That is VERY important.

NOW GET TO WORK!!

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I like your concept and love the black on black and can't wait to see this finished. Keep up the good work.

Ajax Kaal
Forward, always forward!
http://www.ksimageryphotography.com

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Great concept..cant wait to see this come to life !!  8)

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!