Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gett'syc'kote's soft and chewy tearable bits

• 25 Replies

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

• Ni ven cuyi o'r ner haavlam
Gett'syc'kote's soft and chewy tearable bits
« on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Greetings Vode,

A bit of knowledge about my Mando first. He is an Early Crusader coming from a desert planet (kind of completely opposite of where I'm from in Canada) and I plan on applying for the Beastmaster Brigade after hitting OM on the EC. Seeing as he's a desert dweller, a shemagh feels appropriate, and I have one on order that looks like this:

I bought my flightsuit today, which I'm pretty excited about, but I am 100% sure that it is in need of some tailoring. I know it needs to lose pockets and such. This here is what it looks like on me:

I also bought a pair of boots today, and I need to buy another one of these faux furs from IKEA:

Input would be great. New at doing a costume more from scratch.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2015, 01:54 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Gett'syc'kote's soft and chewy tearable bits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Looks good and like you said the flight suit could use a bit of tailoring.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I know you can't tell measurements from a pic, or if you can you're some kind of wizard, but how close to the body do the flightsuits have to be? Is about an inch off the body acceptable, or does it almost have to be skin tight?

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:20 PM »
It by no means has to be skin tight as long as it doesn’t look baggy when you are in armor.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:58 PM »
So, got my gloves and shemagh in today. The gloves match my flight suit perfectly and fit great. Thing that popped into my head when I tried the shemagh on around my head was another of the same colour would be cool for a girth belt. Is that approvable, or would it be better to use something different? Going to be cloth heavy already with kamas (some type of fur), a loin cloth (some type of leather), wraps and other furs. I feel like it would fit, but would it be too much? Or are these questions a "get it together and let's see the result" type of thing?

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I've seen a lot of cloth-heavy kits and they look fine, especially if you plan on joining, say . . . the beastmaster brigade.

But as always, concept drawings are good, pictures are best.

I think you're off to a great start.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a little bit, but how difficult would it be to make this one piece into a two piece? I'm thinking ahead in case I have to hit the head in a hurry. Don't need to be smelling like I just took a bath in the trash compactor  :laugh:.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:22 AM »
most people who want two piece 'flight suits' use a set of scrubs.  If you can't find a long sleeve scrub shirt, get a second pair of scrub pants and cut the legs out, then sew the legs into the arm holes of the shirt, it'll give you the double sleeved look that Jango has

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:04 AM »
My biggest issue with the scrubs route is that I can't find that many in khaki or a similar colour that are also cheap and from the same company with the same dye levels. I bought the flightsuit for $20, and kind of hesitant to spend another bunch of money after shipping to have what I want. This flightsuit that I already have is the perfect colour for the desert theme, and I don't have to worry about sleeve length for my Early Crusader build.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:22 AM »
So, I bought some hessian a couple weeks back, and gave this a try. It's a 25 foot piece, and I like the looks of this wrap, but I'd like some feedback. Not that confident on the integrity of the material, but I like the looks of it. Here's a few angles:

1250 edit: Got into the soft parts that I have ready, and took a few pics to show how it's coming along:

To see the girth belt-ish thing a bit better.^

Showing off the wrap on the left leg ^

How everything sits while relaxed^

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015, 12:48 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Mavik

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:39 PM »
I think they look good; I would just be a bit concerned with them coming loose with extended wear. If you had a way to not worry about that happening though they should be fine. Also I know having to do wraps every troop can be a bit annoying.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:59 AM »
New material for the leg wraps:

Denim...

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

Sorry for the double post if this is. Trying out the looks of the denim wraps on this loverly audience. I didn't like the hessian because it was too itchy and a bit more to handle than its current replacement. Eventually, I will tea or coffee dye these, just giving a test run here first.

And here are a couple pics:

Edit, edit.... EDIT!:

So, I got the second leg wrap started, and took some pics of the up to date soft parts all together. Just ignore the flightsuit, it's part of a second possible kit, and just fits me a lot better right now.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2015, 04:49 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:17 PM »
So, very small and pictureless update, but I just brought my flightsuit to a tailor shop today to get it altered. So in the mean time, more working on the other bits.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:25 AM »
I really like the leg raps. It gives the kit a very weathered feel to it. Keep up the good work!

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Thanks mobcake, but I have a bit more to do to those leg wraps before they're considered troopable by me. They're too white, and parts need to be dirtier.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

mobcake

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:25 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as well, but assumed that you had probably already thought of that, lol. By the looks of what you've done so far you definitely know what you're doing with that. How do you plan to weather them?

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:32 PM »
I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but I'm looking at tea or coffee dying most of my gear to get the right look. Going to have to experiment with it first.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

Re: Gett'syc'kote's soft and chewy tearable bits (Arm wraps, Pg 2)
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:27 PM »
One great thing about having two flight suits, you can try things out while the main one is at the tailor's.  :laugh: So, I figured I'd see how the arm wraps with the denim would look, and here we are. Three pics of my left arm all wrapped up.

I might go a little looser next time or have some padding. My arm hurts a little.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:19 PM »
So, yeah... Can't turn it off. Walking through Ikea and find hose covers and trophy of some kind:

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

mobcake

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:39 PM »
Possibly a Wampa scalp for the trophy?

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2015, 11:44 PM »
 :-[ Been a long time since I updated on this but now I'm going  :o THAT'S WHEN I PUT MY SUIT TO THE TAILORS???  :o OSIK! I did talk to them recently, as I put no rush on the suit, and they said the next few weeks (maybe days now) the suit should be done. Yay prom season and military funerals..... Anywho, let's talk my soft parts here. I recently bought newer boots, as the ones I first bought actually rubbed the top of my feet in a non-permissible way.

Woohoo army surplus! So I bought a pair of Original Swat Desert boots that fit beautifully. Only difference from my daily wear boots is the whole brown thing... And they came kind of pre-weathered and worn (NEED NEW INSOLES!!!)

(Can't tell much of the wear from the pics :( )

Then I had an idea for how to consistently have the same wrap everytime. Why Not just cut a sleeve off something? So, thrift store find of $5, and I have a denim shirt to base the wraps on. I'm going to sew the gloves in, so they're consistent, and I can escape easily from them if I need use of my hands. Here's a few pics of the trials with my glove:

So... yeah... I need to post on my own stuff more.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2015, 11:40 PM »
Sorry for the double post if this is one. Just a couple shots of a mockup arm wrap that I did today. I wrapped down my arm and took the whole thing off and put it back on a few times to try the concept. It can go from wrist to shoulder without having to re-wrap everything.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:04 PM »
So, now I have a little bit of time on my hands, and I'm coffee dying.

Here's just fresh brewed in the bowl:

(Camera was fogging up too)

Sitting for the right colour, and this is pretty well when I dumped the water and started hand washing:

And finally, laid out to dry:

I'll get a comparative picture up in a little bit of before and after.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I love coffee dyeing... It makes things smell so nice. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!