Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Athorr's WIP Thread

• 16 Replies

Athorr Cadera

• Awards 40% increase or more
Athorr's WIP Thread
« on: Dec 28, 2014, 12:29 AM »
Welcome and thanks for reading!

My design is pretty straightforward: weathered metallic copper-colored plates on a blue flightsuit and black vest with a ragged-edged leather kama.

Right now, I'm working on my flak vest, so I've taped the WOF Boba templates to my WIP vest to check sizing/spacing before I do my final trimming pass:

As you can see, the vest is still a little wider on one side than the other, the back sticks out a bit at the sides and shoulders, etc.

How does my sizing look? I started with the large templates because I'm about 6ft, but they seemed too big, so I moved to the medium which seem better IMO.

I've also gotten one of my knees painted with "Autumn Gold" (copper) Rub n Buff. Still needs a black wash pass and some touching up on the dart shooters, but I'm really pleased with the results so far:

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

• When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Re: Athorr's WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2014, 12:53 AM »
Just as a question, why do you have dart shooters in your knees?  Unless you're going for a VERY painful knee to the groin... it seems... well a bit inaccurate.  Its a curious idea, I'm just wondering why the knees.

When the needle climbs, the engines scream, and the blue fades to black...
Where the twinkling lights of stars becomes a sea of light among the dark...
There is where you'll find me.
Praeter Calum Ad Astrum - Beyond the Sky, to the Stars
See you Starside

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:51 AM »
Not my idea, Boba had em first ;-)

Merric Dar'veyn

• D.A.S. #4 - Q.M.U. #45
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Not my idea, Boba had em first ;-)

Nothing better than to go with the original!

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2014, 10:34 AM »
looks good to me

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Now that the weather has finally turned, I finished off the other knee and got my chest plates cut out. Hoping to spend some time today cleaning up/straightening the edges on the plates (particularly around the chest diamond).

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:20 PM »

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Looks like you are doing some good work.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2015, 03:10 AM »
Looks like you are doing some good work.
I agree, for the most part.  I'm really not a fan of that shortened collar plate, though.

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:35 AM »
I agree, for the most part.  I'm really not a fan of that shortened collar plate, though.

I don't entirely disagree - I'm planning to do larger over-the-shoulder plates that should hide the weird outside edges on the collar, but I may re-cut if that doesn't work how I think.

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2015, 12:28 PM »
Looking good so far, I like what you're doing with the gauntlets also.

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Grapple and darts glueing, used JB Water Weld. One of the darts turned out funny, so I'm making a replacement now.

Tythim Kirrem

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2017, 09:21 PM »
First time seeing this WIP. I love what you've done with the paint scheme. Excellent job on the metallic 'gold / bronze' primary color you've got going on.

Manda'galaar Clan | OM #1736 |
L.O.B. #0034
#1 approved NME Deathstalker

Athorr Cadera

Athorr's WIP thread
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Putting my build stuff in the proper place :)

First: the gauntlets. They were free from a friend because they were in pretty bad shape.

Cleaned up a bit, edges smoothed with bondo. Breaking up an old DVD remote to use as a control pad on one side and a mini-grapple launcher on the other.

Gluing in the mini-grapple hook (bit blurry). Using JB Water Weld.

Found this old "listening device" toy from when I was a kid, thought it'd look nice in place of the usual flamethrower.

Gaunts and various greeblies ready for their black base coat.

A few layers of black helped smooth things out, and give Rub 'n' Buff a good surface to stick to.

Rub 'n' Buff in progress on accessories and greeblies.

Still needs a touch of cleanup and some weathering, but I think it's turning out pretty well!

A first pass of Rub 'n' Buff on the right gauntlet. Really loving how it's turning out so far.

Grapple and darts glueing, used JB Water Weld. One of the darts turned out funny, so I had to replace it.

Chest armor - I ended up getting my chest plates from Imperial Outpost Armory, rather than cutting my own.

Test fit:

Snaps... the beginning:

So... many... snaps...

Used white paint to mark where the snaps would go. This (mostly) worked; I only had to make a few minor adjustments.

Battle damage! All freehanded with a dremel and files.

Painted up! Base coat of rustoleum 2x black, rub n buff antique bronze, and diluted acrylic black for extra grime, and a bit of blue detailing to match the helmet:

Shoulder plates:

Initial battle damage:

Black base coat, first pass of rub n buff. As you can see, it's a bit splotchy; almost everything on my kit needed multiple layers of rub n buff, which took quite a bit of time but I think the results were well worth it.

I made a separate thread for my helmet build over on the helmet forum, but here's the final result:

Assorted other bits:

Boot plates, which are now mounted on surplus spats from... Switzerland, I think?

My gunbelt is pretty simple, a standard-width belt on top of a thicker one, kind of similar to a Jedi/Sith belt without the studs and with more guns ;) My favorite detail are these little cartridges, which I grabbed from a belt-fed Nerf gun:

I sprayed them metallic silver, as the nooks and crannies were a little too tight for rub n buff:

Then mounted to my gun belt in the front:

I didn't document my work on my soft parts nearly as well as my armor. My undersuit is a set of dickies work clothes, with double-sleeves and hidden pass-thrus for knee straps sewn by a friend. My poncho is just a chopped up canvas drop. Both were weathered using an airbrush with a ton of help from my pal Ren, who's a true airbrush wizard.

Thanks for reading! It only took me the better part of three years to go from parts and kits to putting in my application :) So if you ever feel like you're taking too long, or you keep having the change stuff, don't sweat it - you're not the only one!

Thanks very much!

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2017, 10:36 PM by Drek'ar Ventress » Logged

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:32 PM »
I combined your threads for you athorr.

Watch the double posting though!  ;)

Athorr Cadera

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for fixing it for me!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!