Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

bassplaya wip the alumi-lorian

• 82 Replies

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
bassplaya wip the alumi-lorian
« on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Hey so I'm getting my butt in gear and finally starting so far I've cut out my templates and I was hoping for some input on sizing. Here's a picture taped to my shirt...

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015, 01:55 PM by bassplaya » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: bassplaya wip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:32 PM »
a few issues I see.  1) you are missing a collar plate, which is leading to issue #2) everything is sitting too high on your body.  The collar plate should just touch your lower neck, then the chest plates should be about 1/2" below that, followed by the ab plate about 1/2" below the collar plate and ending just above your navel. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:58 PM »
a few issues I see.  1) you are missing a collar plate, which is leading to issue #2) everything is sitting too high on your body.  The collar plate should just touch your lower neck, then the chest plates should be about 1/2" below that, followed by the ab plate about 1/2" below the collar plate and ending just above your navel.

^Seconded^ Though I believe the bolded "collar" was meant be "Chest plates" ;)

Looking forward to your build! Have you got any concept arts? ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:18 AM »
^Seconded^ Though I believe the bolded "collar" was meant be "Chest plates" ;)

Looking forward to your build! Have you got any concept arts? ;D

It was indeed supposed to be chest plates

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

bassplaya

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Oh ok so then if I'm not mistaken the karta beskar sits just above the bottom of the sternum about an inch lower where it sits now. I've already cut out the collar and forgot to take q picture before the weekend was up, but after work I'll be able put a few on. Also I'm a little unsure about how far the plates come out into my pits, really feels like it'll be a problem if I were to fold my arms at all.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:35 PM »
They do seem a little wide but shaping actual plates and not paper could fix that. Worst case on that issue is a little trim.

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Oh ok so then if I'm not mistaken the karta beskar sits just above the bottom of the sternum about an inch lower where it sits now. I've already cut out the collar and forgot to take q picture before the weekend was up, but after work I'll be able put a few on. Also I'm a little unsure about how far the plates come out into my pits, really feels like it'll be a problem if I were to fold my arms at all.

The chest plates do look a bit wide. When you move them down into their proper spot, they'll seem even wider. Try taking 1/2 inch from the inside of each. You'll have to adjust the width of your belly plate too. But, definitely stick with paper until you have the sizing down.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Jorad Werde

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:09 PM »
The chest plates do look a bit wide. When you move them down into their proper spot, they'll seem even wider. Try taking 1/2 inch from the inside of each. You'll have to adjust the width of your belly plate too. But, definitely stick with paper until you have the sizing down.

that too, although I'd start with a quarter inch, and you still feel like they are too wide then take another quarter inch off

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Question: Are those the Jango, or Boba templates?

bassplaya

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:18 PM »
They are boba templates but they just have this elongated look at the sides I'm hoping my printer didn't crap out on me while resizing them

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Strange. They look more like Jango's for that very reason... :-\ Maybe double check? Judging by your body type in the pic, Boba templates should fit you...

Maybe you'll just have to work those templates to fit ???

bassplaya

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Ok so here's all my templates fitted and a better camera angle also got my flightsuit for better comparison...

At the moment it almost looks like jangos armour with bobas collar, my finger is pointing out my belly button

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Ok so here's all my templates fitted and a better camera angle also got my flightsuit for better comparison...

At the moment it almost looks like jangos armour with bobas collar, my finger is pointing out my belly button

I think, bring the chest plates a bit closer, maybe 1/2 the current distance. Then bring the belly plate up a bit. Again, maybe 1/2 the current distance.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Jorad Werde

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:48 AM »
I think, bring the chest plates a bit closer, maybe 1/2 the current distance. Then bring the belly plate up a bit. Again, maybe 1/2 the current distance.

I think the side to side is fine, I agree the ab plate could be brought up a bit, but not a full 1/2 the distance it is now.  What you have to remember about the chest plates is that there has to be room around the diamond as well so the space between the chest plates tends to be a bit larger than expected.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:09 AM »
I think placement can get figured out after the plates have been shaped. As for size, I think you've got it pretty well worked out in that last pic :D Once their all shaped and placed on the vest it'll look great 8)

Jorad Werde

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I think placement can get figured out after the plates have been shaped. As for size, I think you've got it pretty well worked out in that last pic :D Once their all shaped and placed on the vest it'll look great 8)

yes and no.  The placement of the plates is somewhat informed by the shaping, but it's more important to get the placement approximately right before shaping so that sizing is right.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

bassplaya

« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Here's a pic I took last night with the plates slightly closer together and taped so they don't move around roo much...

I'm a little happier with the placement I'm thinking of just trimming the solar plexus plate where it meets the chest plates

Jorad Werde

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
unfortunetly those are way too close.  you want about 1/2 an inch of space between the plates.  your previous placement was fine, it was just the ab plate that needed to move up about a quarter of an inch.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

bassplaya

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:06 PM »

So this... Move gut plate up. I plan on putting a roll on the edge of the plates hopefully that will help the gap for the chest diamond.

Quick question for the finished mandos, how is your range of movement in your upper body supposed to feel like? I've heard the suit wasn't made for moving but I've also seen people doing full choreographed dances in their suit. Right now it feels like the plates are going to restrict alto when I cross my arms

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2015, 12:13 PM by bassplaya » Logged

Jorad Werde

« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:39 PM »

So this... Move gut plate up. I plan on putting a roll on the edge of the plates hopefully that will help the gap for the chest diamond.

Quick question for the finished mandos, how is your range of movement in your upper body supposed to feel like? I've heard the suit wasn't made for moving but I've also seen people doing full choreographed dances in their suit. Right now it feels like the plates are going to restrict alto when I cross my arms

yes, moving the gut plate up just a hair should make it look good.  There is a bit of movement restriction, but if you want to do a dance it you can, the plates will just start overlapping and what not. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

bassplaya

« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Hey so I finally got some more work done. This past weekend I met with a bunch of my local clan members and we had our first official armour party! Wwith the amount of experience from our official members and the excitement of New recruits we are well on our way to founding a clan that will represent the mercs in the British Columbia area.

So I transferred my templates over to the aluminum sheeting and cut my plates ( much to the listening displeasure of my clan mates), and now it's time to start dishing and rolling.

And here's my first plate dished and rolled...

All in all a very productive day for me thanks for sharing your experience guys.

bassplaya

« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:44 PM »
So here's a quick update...

Ivhave cut out and rolled all my front chest pieces still waiting on some material for my back plate, and I have begun making myself a dome.

I like the shape I got...

I just to get it deeper( that's what... no resist urge)

Now I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna get that extra inch at the bottom of the dome, but I'm thinking I'm gonna try to find a welder. Bashing worked wonders but I don't think I could stretch out another inch without snapping the aluminum( already cracked one dome)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Wow! You're scratch building a metal bucket? That's outta my league :P

bassplaya

« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Good I'm not necro posting...

Here's my progress with my bucket, bashed it quite a bit deeper but I think I might need to go a little further with it, what do you guys think.
This is it with the rest of the template...

Only thing that worries me about continuing with deepening it is I've opened a tiny crack in the very top of the dome ( too hammer happy). But if it looks good to enough people I may just leave it as is. Thanks for reading buoys and goyles

Jorad Werde

« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:31 PM »
the dome does look a bit short, any chance you could get another piece of metal and start over?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!