Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Accessories

• 8 Replies

Bluefalcon23

• I'm not quite dead yet
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Helmet Accessories
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:43 PM »
So, as my helmet project is coming to a close, I started to wonder about adding an electronic accessory to spice it up a bit.  Has anyone used or attempted to use anything along the lines of built-in radios, walkie-talkies,  Bluetooth, or heads up displays?  I have spent some time looking around on the forums, but always seem to come up empty handed.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2015, 02:50 PM by Bluefalcon23 » Logged
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it!

Ziike

• If you run, you'll only die tired.
Re: Helmet Accessories
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I've read threads on all of the above in the electronics board...

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=330.0

Or search on any of those key words and you'll find plenty.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Bluetooth causes a weird double echo when used as a voice amplifier, a built in radio is viable, but kind of useless unless you can get everyone at the event to wear them, a HUD isn't quite viable in the space available in the helmets nor within most people's budgets.  Some people put functioning LEDs into their range finder and I know some Bobas have a servo in their buckets to make it possible to raise and lower their RF without having to touch it.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Bluefalcon23

• I'm not quite dead yet
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Sorry, I guess my idea didn't really translate from my head to the forum here, I was thinking that because watches aren't really swarsy, I could mount some sort of clock display to the interior. (I have a really bad habit of loosing track of time, in addition to thinking that everyone automatically knows exactly what I mean when I talk/post :-[)

I found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LED-Electronic-Time-Clock-Thermometer-Voltmeter-for-12V-24V-Car-Auto-/231448667536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e36a6590
any thoughts?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it!

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:18 PM »
That's not a bad Idea.  the issue is that the way the human eye focuses you would need something very small with some focus calibration, which doesn't really exist outside custom stuff.  If you really want a clock I'd suggest putting that in your gauntlet.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Bluefalcon23

• I'm not quite dead yet
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:04 PM »
THAT IS BRILLIANT!  This is why I love modern communication, I never would have thought of that, despite how simple it is.

*facepalm while heaving a heavy, self-doubt laden sigh*

Thank you so much!

PS> would that be 'unswarsy' to have such a typical readout on display, or would I need to hide it somehow?

Hit it!

Jorad Werde

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:48 PM »
It would not be unswarzy.  Arubesh numbers are pretty close to Arabic numerals (the ones we use) so it shouldn't be too bad.  But if you're still worried about it shoot a question off to the app team on their question section of the forums

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:56 PM »
That's pretty much the same as a boba chest display, and I've seen number used in star wars.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Check out Mandalore's bucket, it has pretty much everything you listed BlueFalcon (Minus the two-way radio...yet). he has a bluetooth set up inside his helmet that hooks up to his phone as well as his voice amp (I believe).

I also have plans for adding alot of electronics in my bucket which include everything you listed. atm, I have my phone built into my gauntlet whic I have a bluetooth headset connected to. I can answer phone calls & pipe in music, I even had a friend work up some "datapad screens" for my phone so that it looks like Im cruising the holonet for current bounties. Feel free to check out my WIP & see how my I did the gauntlet.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!