Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dol's first build.- WIP - shifted to Late Crusader

• 39 Replies

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Starting the first build.- WIP - shifted to Late Crusader
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2015, 05:46 PM »
those are firm grip gloves (I can see the logo; which needs to be covered by the way) the fingers are just a different color and a slightly different fabric from the rest of the glove; not tool dip. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Hi there.  I appreciate the input. 

Yes, they're the Firm Grip ones..  I got them for the colors, but don't like them either.  I am thinking of either just going with my black leather gloves or making a set of crushgaunts from Airsoft gloves.  (and am leaning toward the crush gaunts..cuz..  you know..more lights.) 

To the thoughts on the pauldrons.. this is what they look like with and without.  I am not totally invested either way, although I kinda like the cleaner look of the "without.."   But that's just the armor geek in me.  Once I get the rerebraces done, it may be a non-issue.

This is what I have for my belt: I have enough of the ammo pouches to go all the way 'round.  I also have the actual clips for the webbing underneath the one set of pouches.  The big white plate is the center armor plate that I need to greeblie-up and then paint.  But it just rests in and clips on the belt and codpiece of the armor.

With regard to the clips for the armor, I was working off this shot of the Exalted from the Deceived trailer.  So just to clarify, they're ok to be visible for Late Crusader, yes?  :

The three clips holding Cuirass to backplate are pretty visible.  I also noticed that you could see the clips on the back this guy's codpiece anchor straps.

Thanks.. just tryin' to get it right. :)   And cool. cool is important. :)

Thanks,
~Dol.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Oh yeah, the belt looks great with the pouches on there. Nice work.

I like the look of the shoulders better with both plates on, but it's purely aesthetic and up to you.  If you'll humour me for one more idea, what about reversing the plates you kept/removed on the left shoulder?  Add back both of the plates you removed, and remove the plate that you left on the left side only.   See how that looks?  Just brainstorming.

As for the clips, the CRL is pretty clear on the "no visible plastic clips" rule for Crusaders but you have a valid point in the reference photos.   I'd suggest calling in someone on the App Team to get you a reliable answer on it before you submit.  It could be that you can replace them with an identical metal closure and be good?   Not sure.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Oh yeah, the belt looks great with the pouches on there. Nice work.

I like the look of the shoulders better with both plates on, but it's purely aesthetic and up to you.  If you'll humour me for one more idea, what about reversing the plates you kept/removed on the left shoulder?  Add back both of the plates you removed, and remove the plate that you left on the left side only.   See how that looks?  Just brainstorming.

As for the clips, the CRL is pretty clear on the "no visible plastic clips" rule for Crusaders but you have a valid point in the reference photos.   I'd suggest calling in someone on the App Team to get you a reliable answer on it before you submit.  It could be that you can replace them with an identical metal closure and be good?   Not sure.

Digging through this, if I replaced the nylon strapping with leather, and then used buckles instead of snaps.. that's more appropriate?   Truth be told, that'd be immensely easier for me, as I'm very comfortable with leather.. I do it all the time.  The webbing/clips just looked that much more SciFi/StarWarsy to my eye as leather equates to medieval armor in my mind. 

The top pauldrons won't come off without effort.  They're riveted on. :)  The underplates are on by velcro attachment points.  But, if the dual-plate thing works for the Aesthetic, I can let it grow on me.

Thanks.
~Dol

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Jun 28, 2015, 01:50 PM »
The dual plate doesn't look bad to me.    Hold off.  It it is that easy to remove, you can always remove it later once you have all the plates in place and make the decision.

Leather with buckles is the preferred method of strapping for a Crusader.   We kinda are the medieval Mandos, and early crusaders are bronze age Mandos ;)  If you are comfortable working with leather, I'd say go that route for sure.

Late Crusader WIP

Bluepigs

• Kebiin Agol - Blue Beast
« Reply #30 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I'm still following this WIP. I think you've done well with reshaping the front to be more form fitting, and it really comes down to your preference with the pauldrons. I had the same concern about the clips, and notice "contradictions" in the references too. I plan to use leather strapping and buckles myself, but I was hoping to keep the quality/type consistent throughout my kit. Does anyone have knowledge of where we could pick up so many feet of leather strips, or several of the same kind of buckle?

(and am leaning toward the crush gaunts..cuz..  you know..more lights.)
Unfortunately, its to my knowledge that the only reference picture to crush gaunts are more like leather gloves with spikes on them. However, I would think that actual functioning gloves like that would use some sort of hydraulic wiring, tubes, and lights to make the glove work, you know?

Late (Demolition) Crusader WIP:

Helmet:...........00%             Armor:...........50%
Soft Parts:.......70%             Weapon:.........65%
Painting:..........00%             Enjoyment:....110%

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

• Ni ven cuyi o'r ner haavlam
« Reply #31 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I plan to use leather strapping and buckles myself, but I was hoping to keep the quality/type consistent throughout my kit. Does anyone have knowledge of where we could pick up so many feet of leather strips, or several of the same kind of buckle?

Belts, and belt sections in various stores  ;)  :P If you buy multiples of the same belt, you can keep the look consistent.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #32 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Does anyone have knowledge of where we could pick up so many feet of leather strips, or several of the same kind of buckle?
Unfortunately, its to my knowledge that the only reference picture to crush gaunts are more like leather gloves with spikes on them. However, I would think that actual functioning gloves like that would use some sort of hydraulic wiring, tubes, and lights to make the glove work, you know?

Thanks for the thoughts.  For me, leatherworking is easy.  I make medieval armor and Steampunk stuff all the time. As it is, I have a hide and a half of 4 oz stuff, so making the straps won't be an issue.  It just means I have to re-adjust my mental aesthetic for it. 

I get my leather from leatherunltd.com.  The prices are very reasonable for the tooling stuff, and I get packs of buckles from them or from evilBay. 

Just to be clear, the buckles can be left the base color, just weathered, yes?  I won't have to base-spray them the color of the armor?

I see the same on the crush gaunts.. but I was thinking the same thing; augmenting the plates with micro leds.  Hmmm..somethng to think about.   I was thinking they could easily be a minor mod to these:  http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=254&catid=41&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D41

Thanks.. I appreciate the encouragement and guidance.  This is quite the learning adventure.

~Dol.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #33 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Buckles can be base metal, yes.  Here is a shot of one of my gauntlet straps, as an example.

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #34 on: Aug 28, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Update: 8/28/15

Hey all.  Haven't disappeared, but life for me in late June thru August tends to get quite busy in other aspects. 

I've gotten a bit more work done on the kit itself, while also fiddling a bit with the weapons.  At this point, I'm putting the base coat on the right-hand gauntlet and when it's finally painted up and done, that'll pretty much make the waist-up done with the exception of having to completely re-cast the helm. 

For the most part, I'm going for a very used, very beaten look, armor worn by a guy that's more than willing to get right in the thick of things and mix it up. 

Here's where I am so far, with the armor on the armorstand.

I also finally finished the gloves. 

Why, yes, when your armor works, it is a perfectly legitimate tactic to block your enemy's strike with the back of your defensive hand. 

The right hand gauntlet is being painted now, and I'm in the process of shaping and forming up the cuisses and greaves.  I'm intentionally going for an a-symmetrical look to those pieces, but then, that's a solid starwars theme, as well as the fact that mismatched armor pieces goes well with the theme of this build. 

As always, suggestions are always welcome. 

~Dol

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
Re: Dol's first build.- WIP - shifted to Late Crusader
« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Awesome work! I love the gloves! One suggestion would be (and this is purely aesthetics) is to like put a deep gouge or something on whichever your dominant hand is to make it look like a tooth mark from a mouth punch or something. Just an idea but I love your work so far

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Completely missed that it was on the armor stand.. kept thinking "he's a scrawny one..."  :-P  Love the gloves, awesome job on those in particular

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Ha!  Yeah.. scrawny really doesn't apply to me.  I just put the layer of bondo on the shin armor, and have the thighs shaped.  Hoping to get them closer to done in the next week or so.. then we'll actually put it all back on again. 

Thanks all.  Gettin' there.
~Dol.

« Reply #38 on: Sep 07, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Getting there.  I still need to age and weather the straps, but I just got done with the leg armor.  Weathered, sealed, and just about there. 

~Dol

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #39 on: Sep 07, 2015, 03:02 PM »
liking the paint.    nice job

Late Crusader WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!