Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Nerf Mod WIP

• 12 Replies
First Nerf Mod WIP
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:12 AM »
I posted this in a different thread but thought I would make a WIP and add a few things

I started off with an off brand bolt action style nerf gun that I had high hopes for turning into a bowcastor still not sure how exactly to make it work but in my head it seems like it has a chance to work.

I cut off the stock and gave it a coat of primer

In an attempt to make it a bit more Swarzy I extended the stock but widdling a 2x4 from a pallet i found at work which was a lot harder than i thought it was going to be so halfway through I caved and went and bought a dremel kit to help the process along. Its fairly rough at the moment but after a bit more sanding it should come out fairly nice. I plan to put a coat of black stain on the wooden stock.

I'm thinking in order to make it into a bowcastor I would shorten the barrel and find something to make the bow arms out of but am not quite sure what would work best. i think to pull it all together it would need some greeblies but am not sure what are standard materials for greeblies

I was given an old stock from an SKS from a coworker that I'm trying to decide what to do with

As for a sidearm I bought a nerf gun today that i think will be perfect with very little modding and I haven't really had a chance to think about it too much but I think theres lots of things to do with it

Any Tips and Comments would be more than helpful be brutally honest you can't hurt my feelings  :)

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: First Nerf Mod WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:48 AM »
As for a sidearm I bought a nerf gun today that i think will be perfect with very little modding and I haven't really had a chance to think about it too much but I think theres lots of things to do with it

The first gun is on its way so far, but still needs some more modification to pass muster. I figured you knew this. :P

The Nerf, however, will need a significant amount of modification before it'll pass the App Team's criteria on Nerf modding. Things that basically need to be done to get even close to passable:

- mod/replace the trigger
- cover any and all logos
- remove all textures, patterns, and the like
- remove the top rail (optional, but highly recommended)
- modify the front end, including muzzle and the drum
- de-activate the firing mechanism by any means possible
- cover obviously "nerfy" parts of the gun with flat pieces
- modify the trigger

That being said, these are only a few things that need to be done to get a stock Nerf to approvable. Nerf mods take A LOT of work to make them not look like Nerf, so be ready to really tear this thing apart to get it where it'll need to be.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2015, 02:41 AM »
Thoranios speaks the truth. Nerf guns are extremely recognizable, especially ones like the Maverick and your Strongarm with the tumbler. Don't get me wrong, I love my Recon CS-6 that I've been working on since I started my kit, but a Nerf is not simply an "Easy" button for a weapon. It's a labor of love to prove you can make a kids toy a true tool of a Mandalorian.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:22 PM »
I think with the strongarm Im going to remove the tumbler all together to help to make it less recognizable as a Nerf I'm also gonna lose the grey piece on the top. This morning I took the whole thing apart and removed the firing mechanism and have the whole thing in pieces at the moment hoping to get some major work done this weekend

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:13 PM »
with nerfs like the strongarm i have seen people lose the tumbler and board over the hole left behind ;) This looks great when done ;) i would say if you added some fins to the boarded over part that would look pretty cool   

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:57 PM »
so here it is gutted and tumbler removed

I drew up a little concept drawing last night that I think could turn out really cool.

I'm gonna cut the front and bottom piece where the tumbler used to be and put in three barrels the top being longer than the bottom two which would be side by side in a triangle with the top barrel and i think I'm going to make two vibroblade bayonets for either side that attach to the lower barrels. Also going to make a scope out of some PVC and attach it to the top. as far as a concept I think its a good start and once it starts coming together I can make changes as I go

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Good plan! I had trouble visualizing when you explained it to me, but the picture makes it clear! That should go a long way to killing the Nerf-ness :)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Made a little bit of progress on my sidearm in the last couple of days. The long weekend helped  :)

I got some PVC pipe to make my three barrels which are currently taped together to ensure they don't move while my glue dries

Also planning on having a sort of bayonet on either side so I did a bit of a test and it turned out awesome so I'm planning on making a second one for the other side. I'm going to to wrap the handle in black vinyl to give it a leather look before a fasten it to the barrels

Slowly but surely its all coming together it all needs some sanding still and a few more pieces I'm still going to make a scope from PVC to really make it look star warsy and still trying to decide what to do with the handle and the back piece on top but all in all I'm happy with how its coming along

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Keep killing that weird texture along both sides. You're slowly, but surely, getting there. :)

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:32 AM »
Did a ton more sanding tonight to get rid of as much of that weird texture Thoranios mentioned and its coming along pretty well but then I attempted to fill some of the holes with bondo... Never used bondo before but as a first experience it is not and easy thing to do! I would say as a first attempt it was a good learning experience however as a whole I'd say it was a bit of a fail  :P Live and learn I suppose. Also learned that ventilation is key haha that stuff is potent! Any tips on how to properly use bondo to fill the holes? my biggest issue was that the wet bondo kept falling into the hollow part of the gun through the holes and not actually filling them. Is there a way to stop it from  doing that or a good technique. These are the days when I wish I took shop class and learned something useful in high school instead of home ec so I could be with all the pretty girls  :P

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:01 AM »
Good progress Vod - you are on the right track with the Strongarm. Chopping out the recognisables (as you have done really well thus far!) and adding in Swarzy-stuff is the way to go. Eagerly awaiting updates! :D

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Agreed. The sidearm has great potential, vod! Great work!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Been too long since I posted an update so here it is its been slow going but yesterday i got a bit of inspiration and went to town!

finally came up with a way to create bow arms for my bowcaster i think with a little more tweaking it has potential. i used a bit of PVC and some pieces of a car engine I pulled out of the scrap bin at work then just used a bit of glue and some bondo to stick them in the only problem is I'm not sure if they're going to be sturdy enough if it ever gets dropped or bumped into so it might end up being a back to the drawing board kind of thing. Not pictured is the scope for it but i think if i can get a way to make sure the arms dont break off and then throw some balls on the ends I could be in the bowcaster business!  :D

As for my side arm I mounted the barrels onto the front and am working on sanding it down smooth and trying to find the perfect greeblies. Still not too sure how to attach the scope so it looks like its meant to be there though also i think it needs to be shorten it looks a bit long for the gun I may scrap the idea of the scope if I want to ever be able to fit it in a holster. I also decided i hated the back end so i hacked it off and am thinking about attaching some sort of canister or maybe just a bunch of greeblies to hide the awkward shape of the back end. Any suggestions on what might transition the back side of it a bit better so it doesn't looks so odd would be greatly appreciated.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!