Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mill's 1st WIP/1st Everything.

• 67 Replies
Mill's 1st WIP/1st Everything.
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Hello guys,

This is my first time every building anything that isn't made of wood  :D

I'm thinking of leaning toward a Modern kit, nothing too insane, but still looks awesome. Currently I've got a basic design and color scheme. Blue and Black are my favorite colors, so I thought, what the heck, go with it. Please tell me honestly, how does this look? Thoughts? I'm liking the idea of a Sith Hunter type of kit.

Edit: I do remember reading a rule about no cellphones, but I have seen ideas with the phone integrated into the gauntlet. If this is possible, I was thinking of integrating it into my left gauntlet and leaving only the screen (Galexy S4) visible and use it as a keypad of sorts. Is this possible, or have I broken into "against the rules" ground?

Edit 2: I've fleshed out my bucket and left gauntlet a bit more. I am still going with a basic design, with some of my own personality added to it. I'm intending to lift the top corners of the visor band up. And I intend to cut out the "T" corners without loosing too much of the iconic "T". I went with double antenas rather than a single range finder. And then a recessed vent port on the back of the bucket. What do you guys think?

For the left gauntlet, as I said earlier, I want to incorporate my cell to make a functioning data screen. This is the concept I have in my head so far. I'm debating on the holes and functioning button, should I omit them?

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2015, 11:56 AM by millshive » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Mill's 1st WIP/1st Everything.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:21 PM »
looks like a nice concept vod ;)

with the phone gaunt  :rolleyes: if only the screen is visible then it should be fine

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:37 PM »
looks like a nice concept vod ;)

with the phone gaunt  :rolleyes: if only the screen is visible then it should be fine

Thanks for the compliment  :), I've been muling over bits and prices for a little while now. My plan is that only the screen will be visible, its just a big screen, so I wasn't sure.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:48 PM »
depending on what you want to do with the screen it might be worth looking into using a digital photo frame instead of your phone/ipod.  It's a smaller screen.  If all you're looking to do is make it look like you're using it you can easily cycle pics and 'displays' through.  If you actually want to use it as a functional 'datapad' then you're going to have to use your phone.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:11 AM »
depending on what you want to do with the screen it might be worth looking into using a digital photo frame instead of your phone/ipod.  It's a smaller screen.  If all you're looking to do is make it look like you're using it you can easily cycle pics and 'displays' through.  If you actually want to use it as a functional 'datapad' then you're going to have to use your phone.

I was originally thinking of using it as a functional datapad, but you idea is pretty good to. I never thought of that.

Edit: I've been going over how the bracers will work in my head. My big question is how do I keep a full bracer from rotating around my arm? Is it just a snug fit?

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2015, 06:25 PM by millshive » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I finally had a chance to take a look at some of the brigades and I think I've changed my mind and decided on going Medic. I find that the medic is a role I play more in life and online, and it fits me well. My base design won't change. Also my gauntlet idea fits perfectly to be the diagnostic display for my kit. So look out guys, new medic is coming to town! :D

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Some padding inside the gauntlet will prevent it from rotating. You can use your phone in your gauntlet, but make sure it is very well integrated into your gauntlet. It shouldn’t look like you have a phone case for a forearm.  :D

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Some padding inside the gauntlet will prevent it from rotating. You can use your phone in your gauntlet, but make sure it is very well integrated into your gauntlet. It shouldn’t look like you have a phone case for a forearm.  :D

Yes my plan is for only the display to be visible so it will look like an actual display for my medic stuffs. I hope to find an app that has some kind of monitor that I can have running for effect.

Update: I've built a size-test mock-up of my buy'ce. I know how horrible it looks, keep in mind it was mainly for size. It's made out of card-stock and is only taped together. Also the piece of cardboard at the bottom, through the visor, is not going to be there. It's just there for structure :)
How does it look size wise? Too big or just right?

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015, 11:31 PM by millshive » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I'm wondering. It's recommended that you measure the length of your shoulders then divide that in half, and that will give you the general size of your buy'ce. I'm wondering if you apply that to the base of the buy'ce or to the dome base of the buy'ce?

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:08 PM »
I think it's recommend to measure across your back from shoulder dimple to dimple( little indent between muscles above armpit) probably easier with friend. And I'm almost certain it refers to the bottom flairs of the bucket

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:12 PM »
it refers to the bottom of the bucket

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Good to know, thank you vod. I will be getting started on the real bucket this Saturday, hopefully sooner.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Update!
I was able to steel some time away from Dart Life and I started working on my bucket. Talk about a learning curve :D I've got the base built, it's not much, but it's progress :) Pics below:

Thanks to Antman's tutorial, and WOF's templates!
Left side:

Front:

Back Interior: After patching up the back because there was a large space, I believe I know why the space is there. If I had followed AntMan to the letter and attached the back of the interior panels together rather than the front, the space is approximately the bottom portion of the visor.... Oh well, once all said and done, it will be awesome right?

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:04 PM »
So I'm a  little worried. I just purchased what I thought was a great deal for Sintra (http://www.amazon.com/Online-Metal-Supply-Expanded-Plastic/dp/B00F0Q753O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425411024&sr=8-2&keywords=sintra), but after purchasing it, I realized it's 3mm and not 6mm. My budget is super tight, and I may not have the money to purchase 6mm Sintra. Will 3mm still work for the whole kit? Or do I need to buy thicker Sintra?

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:24 PM »
3mm works just fine and is a lot cheaper than 6mm. A lot of people use 3mm for a whole kit

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:36 PM »
My entire kit is 3mm. I prefer it actually, 6mm is too thick for my tall lanky frame.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:51 PM »
That is good to know, thanks guys. I'll keep plugging along.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:28 PM »
It works fine for most stuff, but if you can afford a bit of 6MM it's better for the back plate than 3 MM

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Update!

I cut out the face of the bucket and shaped it. Ran out of time to attach it to my base. Oh well, I'll do that tomorrow :D

Front:

Right:

Left:

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Looks good, vod!

« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Oh man it's been a while. I've made some progress, not as much as I would like after this long, but progress is good right? :P Warning pick heavy.

The majority of these images were taken at the start of my "work-day" yesterday. The last is this morning after everything dried.

Where I am now.

I'm at the point where I need to start thinking about fiberglass resin for the inside, and filler for the exterior. What brands do you recommend, and where do you get them?

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2015, 11:27 PM »
This is where I'm at. I've completed the paper work on the bucket, and its ready for the fun part. While trying it on, it feels like its too short, I'm sure its just me. What do you guys think?

Test fit.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Lets see it from the side.  It does look like it may be a hair short, especially if you want to put any padding in the dome.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Here are some better photos of a test fit.

Front

Side

Back

« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2015, 02:20 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that the visor area of my bucket might be too wide. I wan't to get an official opinion before I cut out the area and commit myself to that size. Is the base of the visor too wide, or is it okay to cut out as-is?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!