Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalore the ultimate WIP

• 17 Replies

merquise13

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Mandalore the ultimate WIP
« on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:23 PM »
So i may update this section, but the main thread is in the Crusader forums. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=87694.0

Okay, so it does appear i have an addiction. After finding out there is not yet an approved Mandalore the ultimate(at least according to the legends portion of the canon brigade) i have decided that i am going to do it.  So here lies my WIP, which will probably be a slow one, due to lack fo really detailed pics :P  (still trying to find a pic of his back, though its pretty much a cape)

Sad mandalore is sad.

Dha'Kas Novae: Approved Legacy - Demolitions Expert
Riever: Approved Early Crusader - Beast Tamer.

facebook.com/sirnotappearinginthiscosplay

merquise13

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Mandalore the ultimate WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:44 PM »
As there is currently no CRL, i'm going to use what i have in the pics, take from other CRL's and add my notes.

1) Mask: Matching pictures of mandalore the ultimate or mandalore the indomitable. Visor could be black or red? (there are reference pictures showing both).  No visible straps
Cowl:  Using a soft black material covering whole head and neck.  * possible options balaclava, scuba cowl, custom sewn. Appears to be tight on the head and neck, conforming to the general shape of both.
2)Chest/Body armor:
Chest: Chest piece has multiple layers and ridges. Chest piece will raise up to base of neck. No visible collar plate is seen, though there is solid neck armor in a few ref pics connecting to top of chest plate.
Ab plate:  Ab plate with vertical ridges around the front of body. Top of plate is under chest piece. Bottom of plate hidden by belt.
Groin: Groin plate is present and has segmented appearance.
**Note: This has a very similar look/design as a TK ab plate/groin.

3) Back Covering: Still looking for additional references, however most pictures show a full cape covering. It can be assumed there is a back plate, but no reference pictures found yet of style and look.  Red cape that extends from in front of shoulders all the way around to back. will be under pauldrons. extend to ankle lenght and is tattered.

4) Shoulder armor:  Full shoulder coverings. Should be similar to pauldrons present in reference pics. Covering shoulder joits. Left pauldron does not sit over top of shoulder. Right pauldron sits on top of shoulder and is made of multiple pieces.

5) Weapons: so far 3 different weapons found. 1 spear, 2 rifles. Pictures also present without weapon.

6) No flak vest is present

7) Flight suit.  Black and enclosed. Could be 2 piece as it would be hidden under ab plate, but would need to appear the same.   Note* thighs do not appear to have plates, but rather a "ribbed" look extending from top of thigh down to under knee/shin plate: ribs going horizontally and go from inner thigh to outer thigh. 

8) Gaunts: Gauntlets are clamshell style, orange/copper in color. Top of gaunts extends further than bottom and has a raised section of detail, possible greeblie.

9) Gloves: Segmented/armored. same color as gauntlets.

10) Neck seal/ armor:  Neck seal would be the same as the balaclava/cowl used for the head covering. There are 2 variations present. 1 without neck armor, and one with neck armor. have found pictures of both.

11) Cape:  Cape covers whole back and drapes over shoulders under the pauldrons. Red/dark red in color. tattered at bottom.  One reference picture shows cape joined in front of neck with gold ring. others show it ending just under the collar armor.
Kama:  Kama begins in front of body just off of the codpiece. Extends from under the belt down to midcalf/ankle (depending on ref pic).  It can be assumed these stop on each side towards the back or go around completely. I believe they on each side, just behind the thigh.

12) Ammo belt: Artistic liberties may need to be taken on the belt interpretation. Belt could be a leather or canvas with a buckle in front and assorted boxes/tubes around to the sides, OR it could be TK/bikerscout style and be a solid piece with boxes and tubes attached going around to the back.

13) Shins/Knees: Appear to be full shin/possibly shknees. Extend up from boots, same color as gaunts/gloves. Appears to wrap 3/4 of the way around the leg. Could be armored or leather, with ridges on the front. 

14) Boots: assumed same color as shknees.  but no good reference. can assume military style boots, no laces.

merquise13

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:44 AM »
Picked up some clay today so i can start on my mandalore mask. I will use this to make amold and actually cast the mask out of a resin. 
Big carvable egg is to use as a base for the clay to go on so i can get the mask shape (hopefully.)

Now here's where i want opinions. Due to lacking of good reference photos, i'm trying to discern the legs.  From what i can see, the front thighs do not actually have thigh plates. It appears to be ribbed material very similar to darth vaders (only horizontal instead of vertical.)  I saw one guy do the costume with thigh plates, but looking at least at this ref pic, it appears that it is only the front of the legs, but the ribs extend from under the belt down to under his shknees. This only appears to be on the front of the thighs, and possibly on the outside of the arms. 

Mandalore photo reference

Darth vader for reference

This is also a reference pic i found i guess from SWTOR game, though not completely accurate, nor do i know the full story of this. But it does lead evidence to show that the whole flight suit is in fact ribbed at least on the front.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:43 AM »
I agree with your assessment of the ribbed (for her pleasure) flight suit.  (sorry I couldn't resist the joke)

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

merquise13

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I see what you did there. ;)

Speaking of mask. I sawed a carvable easter egg in half... and its practically the perfect size as the base.  So i started tinkering. I think i'm just going to add a couple layers of clay detail on top. Then we can mold and cast it.  It is a bit big but i figured i could cut the actual casted piece down afterwards.

merquise13

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Okay, so i played with clay today. i actually made more progress than whats on the pic, but i forgot to take a new pic before wrapping it up.
I plan on making a mold of it, so havent done a ton of details, as i'll do it on the actual casting.

merquise13

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:04 AM »

Giggity. that is all.

merquise13

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:34 AM »
So here it is. Mold has been completed, anf my first pull was done. Unfortunately i didnt have enough resin to actually do a full mask, so my sides and edges were paper thin. So basically it warped a bit as i pulled it out of the mold and tore on the edges cause it was not thick enough.  But i did find that this is a great way to get the rest of the clay out of a mold :P.   Waiting on more resin then i can actually make another cast and it'll turn out nicer.

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:14 PM »
turned out decent.   not sure if its the camera angle or what,  but it doesnt look symmetrical

merquise13

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:16 PM »
It was a bit of angle... But more of the casting was so thin I warped it while pulling it out.  I didn't have enough resin to do a full good pull. 

merquise13

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Got some resin and was able to do 2 pulls yesterday.  still getting the quantities and layers down that i need, but not bad. These are pretty rough, since the clay had some issues with drying quickly before i could get it in themold.  So i have some seam marks where i had to add some new clay, also where some of the silicone bled up under the clay layer. But thats fixable.  alot of what i need to do will be fixable and will look better once i weather it and get it painted. 

merquise13

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:45 PM »
So heres some pics. These are a couple differnt pulls so they have some variations.  Still working on getting the right thicknesses, but the one i did yesterday was much better.

This was my first pull. As you can tell, it was VERY thick in the center. An inch or more thick.  I had to use a reciprocating saw to actually cut out the visor.  This one is just my test mask. gonna add some basic details and play with paint. Gonna test run some stuff before  i do the same to a good mask.

Yesterdays Pull.  You cant see it, but this one is much better than the previous ones.  I have the thicknesses closer to where they need to be. Need to thicken up the walls a bit more, but the center is not an inch thick :P

The cut one vs yesterdays pull.

merquise13

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Well, my crap mask that was extremely thick may actually be my real mask. i did a bunch of testing with my dremel and paints... and well... I LIKE IT.

prepaint

base layer of espresso metallic paint

black wash added.

bronze mettalic paint added to top layer for hightlights.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2015, 12:21 AM »
Impressive. Most impressive... 8)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

merquise13

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Thanks.  I need to get a visor to put in and get some elastic to make the harness.  I then need to save up for sintra, but probably wont do that til after family vacation in may. My target date to have this done will be aug of this year before Salt Lake Comic Con. i haev another costume i want finished by end of june. Blackbeard from the new PAN movie.

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:14 AM »
nice work. i am very pleased to see and hear that others are this interested in the supreme mandalore characters. i too am working on one. a marriage of the new mandalore and yuuzhan vong. Keep up the good work.

merquise13

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Thanks, i'll be interested to see the progress on yours as well.
i wish i was working on this faster, but funding is not allowing for much progress.

merquise13

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Alas, looks like my progress pics links changed... again... really need to start photobucket.

As for mandalore, he was put on temporary hold until next year.

Currently budget has held me back, as well some needed upgrades on my approved kit.  I also have another large project that is taking a large part of my time.  Mandalore should resume next year.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!