Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Multiple Piece Flight Suit Alternatives?

• 12 Replies

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
Multiple Piece Flight Suit Alternatives?
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Hey I'm brand new here, and I'm really itching to get started on my kit, but I don't know where to start. So I figured I would work from the ground up. Flight suit first.

My question is: Are there any acceptable ways to make a two or three piece suit instead of buying a jumpsuit?

The main reason I ask is because I don't want to buy a set of coveralls or a jumpsuit and find out that it doesn't work. The other reason is, in the vision I have for the character, his sleeves are layered. one pair short, with a thermal-looking fabric covering the rest of his arms. I like the indented squares of the thermal fabric, as well as its practical qualities of temperature control.

Alternatively, I might be looking for someone to help me with patterns, tips, or even a product. Does anyone here make and sell great custom flight suits? Does anyone have a favorite place to go for a generic jumpsuit?
Any help at all in the making of my suit is greatly appreciated. :)

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Multiple Piece Flight Suit Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:29 PM »
The best way to do a 2 piece flight suit is with a set of scrubs, which is also the best way to do the double sleeved look your talking about (although I've never seen it done with a thermal fabric).  Most people use a generic dickies jumpsuit or a military style flight suit.  Take a look around the forums and you'll see plenty of examples.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:40 PM »
I heartily endorse the use of scrubs as a flightsuit.  They're inexpensive, readily available and comfortable.  As long as the top and bottoms match in color and material, you'll be fine.

If you are looking for other options, I suggest an industrial supply store (I live in an area where there are lots of coal mines and steel mills, so they're all over the place), which will probably sell coveralls (1 and 2 piece) and scrubs.  If you are looking for a 1 piece flightsuit, an Army-Navy surplus store should have a nice variety.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:11 AM »
I hadn't considered scrubs! Thank you! :D
Do you know how well they would take Rit fabric dye?
There's a very specific kind of color I'm looking for, somewhere between red and black and grey. As if the fabric used to be a dark red, but sun exposure and rigors of battle, blah blah blah. I'm still having trouble deciding upon the base color I'll go with, but I'm sure I'll figure that out in due time.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Most of the scrubs I've seen are a cotton/polyester blend, but I have never tried to dye them.

If you want to weather your flightsuit (scrubs or coveralls or whatever), one way is to expose it to the sun, either outside or hanging a window.  Just be sure to turn them regularly so the exposure is even.  If you want to rough them up, wash and wear them a lot, or tie them to your trailer hitch or bumper and drive up and down the street a few times.

Medical Corps

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Awesome. I'll be sure to try all of that. Thanks for the advice! :D

Batnor-Goor'verd

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:50 AM »
you could also use a set of dickies work pants and matching shirt  there usually the same material as the coveralls

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Considering the intended useage of scrubs, most are designed to be resistant to "staining", so standard dye would not take well.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 01:48 AM »
you could also use a set of dickies work pants and matching shirt  there usually the same material as the coveralls
This. I've seen at least a few kits that do this to good effect. Heck, I'd do it as well if my stuff wasn't FR rated (which makes it insanely hot)

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2015, 02:47 AM »
I think I'm going to try the scrubs first.
I think the staining/ dying issue only tells me I have to be more creative with the "dye" I use :P
If they don't work out, I'll go the dickies route. Great advice guys!

Vraeden

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Scrubs are great because they come in a wide variety of colors and they're easily available.

If you can't find them locally, check Amazon or any number of websites that sell them.

Medical Corps

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Scrubs are great because they come in a wide variety of colors and they're easily available.

If you can't find them locally, check Amazon or any number of websites that sell them.

which will probably save you the hassle of having to dye them.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:18 AM »
Well I found a set that I like, for about $10, and it comes in a few different colors. But none of them are quite right. They have a grey and a wine/reddish color, but the color that I want is kind of a mix of those.
I may end up having to experiment and post my results in a seperate WIP post.  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!