Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ja'karra wip - pre app pics

• 77 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Ja'karra wip - pre app pics
« on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:09 PM »
I've had a secret project on the go for a while now. Took it to a test run at a con so it's now even less secret :P

The absolute to do list is as follows:
All done - oya!

The additional list:
Sew the 2nd sleeves onto my flightsuit.
Finish off the copper design on the torso, knee, helmet.
Make a proper girthbelt.
Make a proper sheath for my knife so it can be strapped to the outside of my boot
Helmet - Make more plates to protect the lekku
Begin upgrades to a brigade.

Lost most of my wip pics on my old laptop - so I don't have any from earlier than this.

Soft part test.

And for somebody who doesn't wear own makeup, I don't think this was a too bad first attempt :P

And photos from the con. The only major issue I had was the collar dropping a bit at the front, but that should be fixed once the rest of the backplate segments are added as it will even out the weight.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:20 PM by Kris Jasra » Logged
Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Koshin Kast

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Ja'karra wip - because you humans are boring
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Very nice :)

First WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79379.0

Koshin Kuat Mk2  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89548.0

Mk3 Koshin Kast 'Coming soon'

OM  #1095
 V.O.T.S  #39
 B.E.A.R.D.S #110
ALUMINATI #037

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:31 PM »
planning a helmet?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:16 PM »
planning a helmet?

The absolute to do list is as follows:
Knees (borrowed off kit 1 for the con)
Back plate (needs completing, I only got the top plate finished)
Helmet (Got as far as making a design and template)
Get the cod plate attached.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:50 PM »
cool!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kris Jasra

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:59 PM »
It is a required part... not exactly like I can leave it out.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:04 PM »
It is a required part... not exactly like I can leave it out.

True, but some people make kits that aren't for approval, and just for fun.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kris Jasra

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:12 PM »
True, but some people make kits that aren't for approval, and just for fun.

Hmmmm, I suppose. I always saw those as the sports/crossover kits and such. No reason to make an alien and not do it all the way.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Hmmmm, I suppose. I always saw those as the sports/crossover kits and such. No reason to make an alien and not do it all the way.

Plus can't upgrade for medic brigade if you're not official.

Kit looks fantastic Vod'ika. Was great to troop with you in it.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Told my housemate that if he got bored with his armour he could always shape my knees for me while I was at work *hint hint, nudge nudge*
Seems it worked, first one is no longer a flat bit of metal :P Still needs a bit of planishing and all the edges rolling, but I am grinning happily here.

EDIT: Also cut out the rest of my backplates and made a start on the helmet. Front has been fibreglassed and milliputted to keep it together. Main dome next (so lots of cursing in front of a mirror while wearing my brains...)
Random fact: Twi'lek ears add a considerable amount of width onto a bucket.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2015, 05:33 PM by Kris Jasra » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:27 PM »
This is looking bad-shebs!
Can't wait to see the finished helmet.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kris Jasra

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Now have 2 knees shaped, still need the edges rolling, and then velcro, elastic and padding attaching, aaaaand then painting...

Also got the front dome onto my helmet. Just had it's very first filler layer. Most of it looks like it'll just need a sand and spot filling, except for that kink which I'll have to round off a little. Think I must have accidentally flattened the card base a little and didn't notice. Annoying but fixable.
And started working up the earcaps.

Next up, sanding, filler, sanding, and starting the next section of the dome.

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Looking good Vod'ika.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Vhekad Naast

• Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:01 PM »
This is super sick! I can't wait to see it finished!

Once you see me, you will already be dead.

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Intervesting!

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2015, 06:56 AM »
I think though. It might benefit from not having ear caps as it's already rather wide, and legacy helmets don't always have ear caps anyway.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I think though. It might benefit from not having ear caps as it's already rather wide, and legacy helmets don't always have ear caps anyway.

Aha, well spotted... buuuuut that is planned for :P The widest part is the outer edges of the visor, the helmet then curves round the back of the head and the earcaps are on that section so that profile wise the ear caps will only stick out as far as the widest part of the helmet. Rather than attaching them at the widest part like a standard human helmet.

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Aha, well spotted... buuuuut that is planned for :P The widest part is the outer edges of the visor, the helmet then curves round the back of the head and the earcaps are on that section so that profile wise the ear caps will only stick out as far as the widest part of the helmet. Rather than attaching them at the widest part like a standard human helmet.

Sensible. Look forward to seeing it. Now hurry up and get home from work so we can have some updates.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Here you go Kit, some updates.
Backplates, both knees, cod (swapped with a vode as this fit me and I made him one, I'll be repainting it so it's not using his colour scheme :P) and the helmet so far.

Next: finish all the plates shown above.
Neaten up the earcaps on the helmet.
Add the domes over the lekku.

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:44 AM »
That looks amazing! Have you seen this helmet by Vorpan? Plenty of room in one of these for the lekku.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:25 AM »
Yes I've seen it, and no I really do not like it. You're not the first person to try and tell me about it :P

That bucket will not fit my lekku, mine sit further forward on the head and slightly more outwards. That bucket is made for lekku which sit quite far back and are close together. I'm also unsure if I'd fit my ears into it.
Design wise, there's no protection for the upper part of the lekku which contain a Twi'lek's brain unless the attack is coming from directly above. Personal preference but I'd prefer to have them a lot more armoured.
And lastly, the lekku cost enough, I can't afford a new bucket as well. Scratchbuilding is far, far cheaper, and as the fourth scratchbuild I've done I think I've got he hang of it.

Not to say I don't appreciate you trying to help ;D But I thought I'd get that all out before anybody else tries to tell me about it...

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:26 PM »
Fibreglass and first bondo layer on the next part. Need to get those back sections evened up and smoothed, and then get the strapping and padding in. I foresee sanding in my near future...

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Coming along nicely Kris, looking forward to the final result of this bucket. It's a very promising build :)

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Very nice Kris. I'd love to offer advice but I think you've got it well under control  ;) 8)

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Utterly, utterly mindblowing stuff.

The standards you set, and set by the likes of Paul, Ken, Colin, Richard, Talos and Kit make me proud to be a potential member of the Vok'Chi - for one of many reasons, it strives me to make a better kit! But this is something else!

That said, I don't envy you once that bucket goes on. You are gonna heat up so very fast  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!