Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hereticdave's WoF Scratchbuild (Mk 2 page 4)

• 68 Replies

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Hereticdave's WoF Scratchbuild (Mk 2 page 4)
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Hello all, so I started a bucket from the WoF templates a while ago, didn't document the start of the build but this is where I am now:

Pleased with it so far so I gave it a light coat of primer to check for any areas that need attention:

How's it looking so far?

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 01:48 AM by hereticdave » Logged
OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Hereticdave's WoF Scratchbuild
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:58 PM »
It's a good start so far Vod. Have you decided on your ear caps yet?

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I've seen his ear caps, they look good. Keep it up Dave Vod! I'll be round at the weekend ;)

Is there such thing as Mandalorian Ale or fruit juice? Like Coca Cola but Boba cola? 7hutt? Jango Orange? Jango Cherry? The list goes on... Han Soda?

Keep up the work Dave, it's looking awesome!

Markonnen OM #1486

MMRS #007; Draluram #015;
MARS #051; AWOO #019

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:59 AM »
I've got some resin ear caps and I've made my own rangefinder with LED's. I'll post pics of that up when I'm happy with the bucket. Reyn Vok'chi has rightly pointed out in my Vok'Chi thread that the vertical part of the T-section is slightly tapered rather than parallel. I'd wrongly assumed that this was the case on Boba's helmet but after looking at more images I see that it is parallel all the way down. Is this a problem? I kind of like the look of the taper but I'm not sure if that's just because I made the bucket and I'm biased.

@Markonnen, corellian ale will be fine, but I believe in this system it comes in a bottle with a blue label with a picture of a hobgoblin on it... :D

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Therein I must wholeheartedly agree.

Masking for white either tonight or in the morning... your helmet looks good, glad the primer layer revealed how much of the imperfections you've already removed. Excellent.

Markonnen OM #1486

MARS #051; AWOO #019

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Also, while I remember, the Great Mandalore...one of them...his helmet has a major taper into a point...

Markonnen OM #1486

MARS #051; AWOO #019

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 11:34 AM »
My helmet tapers from bottom to top. Meaning I widened it at the bottom but only a bit.

QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Sweet bucket, vod!

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 12:03 PM »
I fixed the tapered T-section:

It's now a smooth 38mm gap all the way down (give or take a mm here or there).
There's still a bit of clean up to do on the inside edges and a few small areas here and there. I've added keyslots to the back and small sections behind the ear plates to hide the areas I was having trouble sanding smooth:

There's still a bit of sanding to do around the keyslots and I've made them solid as I intend to cast this up when it's ready. I've spent so long getting this thing smooth and right that I'm paranoid something dreadful will happen to it, so I'm casting it up to make myself a single piece resin version. I've got experience casting on a small scale, but nothing this big so it should be fun. :D

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:31 AM »
That is one nicely shaped dome, vod!  I wish I could get my domes that nice.  Very good work.  I'll be following this.

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Thanks all, here is where I'm at after a weekend of working on my bucket:

Not much to look at with 1kg of silicone over it so far, for those with casting experience how much should I use? It's had 5 layers so far, and I'm halfway through my 2kilo supply. I put some loose weave cloth over the T-section in between the 2nd and 3rd layer as I'll be making a cut there in the mold to help remove the finished cast.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Talos Kot

• Cry Havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war !
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:51 AM »
how much rubber you use depends on  the quality of mold you want and how long you want it to last, the rubbers tear and sure hardness rating,  ..   ...  Don't make a cut in your mold !! ..... without knowing where you got it  / what tear and sure rating it has etc , your silicone mold should be flexible and durable enough to remove even at 1/2 inch thickness,  just be patient when you remove it .. .... using gauze was the right idea if a release slit is needed,  but if i were you I would Not cut the mold, your helmet doesn't have any extremely deep undercuts etc to need a cut ! ;)

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Thanks Talos, I only intend to make a few copies right now, one for me and another one for a friend. If the mold survives then great as I can make a few more in the future and try different upgrades or ideas.  I'm hoping to get away without cutting the mold like you say, but the gauze was put in as a "just in case".

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Looking like a very alien helmet right now. Afraid I have no casting experience so all I can say is, looks silicone covered :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:52 AM »
A quick update, it's up to 1.2kg of Silicone now, I've added some keys after some sterling advice from Talos Kot, and I've added a fin ready for the mating faces of the mother mold. I need to carry the fin underneath the helmet for the undercut you can see in the first post and round off the keys a bit. Part of me wants to take the silicone off the master just to see if the mold has worked but I reckon that could be a very bad idea...

Here's how it looks now:

Edit: I haven't finalised my ideas for the finished bucket yet and the more I look at the image above with the fin I can't help thinking how cool it would be to have something like the senate guards:

(Image from wookieepedia)

Has anyone done this before, or is this kind of thing best kept for actual senate guards?

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015, 08:04 AM by hereticdave » Logged
OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Markonnen

• Tion'ad hukaat'kama?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I love how this build is coming along.

Can't wait for first casting...

Keep it up vod!

Markonnen OM #1486

MARS #051; AWOO #019

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2015, 03:25 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement so far, this is by far the single most involved project I've undertaken in a while! You could say that the last stage has been a royal pain in the shebs, but here we are:

There are a few spots that need fixing on the cast, the dome hasn't come out as smooth as the sculpt but I think that's because my silicone jacket isn't thick enough. The curved cheek on the left has been corrected with the application of some heat and brute force. I'm casting another bucket to see if a second attempt fairs better.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:39 AM »
Looking good!  Please share any pointers on casting that you learn along the way.  I'm going to be trying this pretty soon myself.

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Thanks, things I've learned so far:
  • No matter how thick you think your silicone jacket is, always do more layers if you're painting it on layer be layer.
  • See that amount of silicone you're ordering? Get more  :laugh:
  • See that amount of resin you're ordering? Get more  :laugh:
  • Wear long sleeve shirts/overalls when working with fibreglass, before it's set and after.
  • When doing the slush cast wear some thick gloves.
  • Patience is key!

I wouldn't recommend following what I did if you're intending on casting a bucket, instead I'd follow what Talos did and make the jacket first and then fill with silicone to make the mold. I imagine that's a much quicker way of doing it and you get to control the thickness of the silicone mold. If I ever cast anything of this size again that's the route I'll be taking.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Talos Kot

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:39 PM »
^^  this  ^^  i used to work in a compression molding factory making car parts 9years  gained a lot of knowledge, inspected professionally made molds  then transferred that to my projects after leaving 2010 up to present 14 yrs experience ...  making the shell first results in a much better more durable mold guarantees athe overall silicone wall thickness and gives better results  .... first mold i ever made was the layer method and hard jacket afterwards .. not happy with the results and have never used that method again   ... you have done well Dave .. its all good learning experience  ;) 

Bowfanny

« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:12 PM »
How does one do the shell first and then add the silicone layer?

QMU#084

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2015, 05:55 AM »
I think you can use clay or something similar to take the place of the silicone, build it up on the piece you're casting to the desired thickness and then make your mother mold on that, leaving a pour hole for the silicone. When that's all set you take it apart, remove the clay, make sure your piece is secure, make sure there are no gaps between the mold, the work surface etc and pour the silicone in where the clay was so you get a nice thick silicone jacket. In the link above in my previous post Talos goes through the process pretty thoroughly, it's a good read if you're looking at making your own casts.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:30 PM »
I saw your build. I am very impressed Vod!

QMU#084

Talos Kot

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!