Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let the preparation and building begin!

• 74 Replies

Antaerys Ge'tal

• Cool story bro, needs more dragons
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
Let the preparation and building begin!
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:21 PM »
So after finally surviving Year 12 and going on two massive holidays, I can finally get started on armour work. A couple of good friends helped me last night to begin custom templates as even the smallest sized templates you can print off are too big for me. This is where being tall and super skinny becomes an issue, so I got wrapped up in aluminium foil and masking tape and the plates were drawing straight on me. I now have a bust of myself, then I can cut out the templates and make them. I intend to use PVC pipe, once I get ahold of the stuff and my brother's heat gun is returned (the goofus left it at an armour party).

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2015, 09:16 PM by khuzdul-scribe » Logged
When the sharpest words gonna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out, I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I'm meant to be, THIS IS ME.
Merc #1286
Armour WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88762.0

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Let the preparation and building begin!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:07 AM »
Do you have the templates on a flat sheet of paper, or just drawn onto the body mannequin?

Antaerys Ge'tal

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:08 AM »
They are drawn straight onto the bust we made. We couldn't actually draw them on flat paper because it proved to be too inaccurate so we fogured doing it this way would be more accurate, particularly because I didn't have my flight suit on.

When the sharpest words gonna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out, I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I'm meant to be, THIS IS ME.
Merc #1286

Svik Katora

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:09 AM »
It will be harder to get those designs onto the PVC later.

Antaerys Ge'tal

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:17 AM »
Thank goodness my brother (another OM) is helping me otherwise I'd be lost!! Any recommendations?

Merc #1286

Svik Katora

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Best I can think of is to make a template then trim it until it lines up with the one you have.

Takisir

• Great moments are born from great opportunity's
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Facing the same problem you did, what I did for mine was print out the smallest templates you can fine. Put them onto you, then start trimming. Alot of trimming. Once you have something you think works for sizing, post it up on here and we can give you feedback. The more time you spend now at the template phase getting it right, the less time you will spend at the actual armor cutting phase. and paper is also cheaper than pvc.

Official Troops- 0 UO Troops- 5
I probably will mess up my picture links, so here-
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Takisir/library/?sort=3&page=1
Desert theme, possibly Desert ops later on kit-  
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82736.0

Antaerys Ge'tal

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:18 AM »
Even with trimming, the smallest size templates I can get are still too big they essentially arent the right shape and wont look good even if they are cut down so this method seemed like the best, also I'm gonna remember to cut them bigger than what they are in the bust so I have more room for error than if i cut along the lines. I'll probably also trace them off the bust as a back-up.

Merc #1286

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Firstly, get your vest done first before you worry about plates. You have a great mannequin to work from.

As for your plate issue, the answer to your problem is a bendy ruler, use it to measure the box dimensions of the lines you have made.

What I mean by Box dimensions is measuring the largest width dimension and the largest height dimension where the plate would cover your body then translating that to your template material (either paper or card).

You will then be able to make a square or rectangle which will represent the largest dimensions of your plate. You just then need to work out the shape within those confines.

For example your collar goes to a point, so finding the centre of the box will give you the point edge and you can work your plates back from there using a printed WOF template and translating the dimensions to your box dimensions, so if the WOF limits are 10 X 15 and yours is 5X10, you know you need to take 5 off each measurement to get your size.

Clear as mud? :)

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Antaerys Ge'tal

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:13 AM »
The mannequin I actually worked off was my own body  :P my friends Daniel and Lucie wrapped me up in tin foil and masking tape!! I have a leather jacket that I bought from Savers that I plan to cut the sleeves off and wear backwards for my vest as it actually felt quite comfy wearing it backwards (gotta make sure I conceal the zip at the back).

I need a bendy ruler, I'll have to buy one tomorrow when I get some textas for colour-scheme designing!

Merc #1286

Shaxell

• Dar'manda
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:33 PM »
if you are trying to do a bust for your plates you can either use the flat templates then once you cut them out of sintra you can heat it in the oven and then mold it to you, or buy a cheap plastic mannequin and cut the plates out of that :)  That is what a good amount of females do.

Antaerys Ge'tal

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:01 PM »
I would use the oven however I think my mother would have something to say about that :p I'm mostly taking it one step at a time, as this is mt forst time and my brother is helping me :) wow all your advice is great guys!!!

Merc #1286

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:59 AM »
Time for the elusive brother - and, in all likelihood, the one doing the majority of the building - to chip in XD

if you are trying to do a bust for your plates you can either use the flat templates then once you cut them out of sintra you can heat it in the oven and then mold it to you
99% certain that, just like my kit, I'll be doing hers out of PVC pipe. Which I'm told - and have found - disagrees with copious heating. They'll be shaped via heat gun, I just need to retrieve it ^^;

As for your plate issue, the answer to your problem is a bendy ruler, use it to measure the box dimensions of the lines you have made.

What I mean by Box dimensions is measuring the largest width dimension and the largest height dimension where the plate would cover your body then translating that to your template material (either paper or card).

You will then be able to make a square or rectangle which will represent the largest dimensions of your plate. You just then need to work out the shape within those confines.

Clear as mud? :)

Clear as mud indeed, Mr Saz. Thanks :)

Antaerys Ge'tal

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:56 PM »
I've finally gotten around to doing some more armour colour scheme designs. I'm still unsure as to what colours to use but red is probably gonna be the main one. I tried using fire-based colours with the red to see what it looks like as a first try. I was thinking of maybe adding some white/silver to give the armour or maybe using darker colours, opinions?

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2015, 09:15 PM by khuzdul-scribe » Logged
Merc #1286

Svik Katora

« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:07 PM »
Be careful though, if the orange and red are too similar the detail will kinda blend into itself. If you have a darker deep red for a base and a lighter fiery orange for the detail I think this would look very wicked.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!