Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build Ever WIP

• 103 Replies
Re: First build Ever WIP
« Reply #75 on: Aug 08, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Nice stenciling job! Your tenacity paid off there :)

Thank you sorry for the late response been working 12s at work lately and absolutly dreadful.

On a better note my bucket came in today!!!  So that means i have all but my guantlets and ill be nearly complete, execpt painting of course.

Also quick question does anyone have any tips or tricks about peeping and also painting of a bucket my armor has turned out great but the bucket is a big take on for me and such an iconic piece for the armor, also looking at doing the tan and red theme. to continue with my armor

So I have a hammered metal spray paint what yal think about that for the metallic color??also opinion on the MQ-1 circuit board??

also what you think about these for my helmets.

« Reply #76 on: Aug 09, 2015, 03:39 PM »
So i made a quick little stand to put my helmet on to paint it what you guys think?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #77 on: Aug 10, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Looks good.  Now get some paint on that bucket!   :laugh:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #78 on: Aug 10, 2015, 01:21 PM »
alrighty so here is my helmet yesterday after i finished priming it, also here is the metal im looking at using for the metal coloring not 100% sure on it little unsure about the hammered texture also thinking about incorporating in this green some where im mainly tan and red as you see my armor but not sure. Thanks let me know what you think and opinions/suggestions

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #79 on: Aug 10, 2015, 02:04 PM »
The hammered texture can turn out real nice if you don't mind your finish being a little bumpy.  I say go for it!  ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #80 on: Aug 11, 2015, 03:59 AM »
Could be very, very cool!  Try it out on a scrap piece first and see what you think.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #81 on: Aug 12, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Definitely test it first, I did that with one paint that I was liking and ended up hating it.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Mercy

« Reply #82 on: Aug 12, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I found that the hammered metal paint looks good as bare metal, but if you paint over it then that part looks kinda like a bad paint job and no way to fix it :(

I think it would work as a "color", but not so much as a base coat.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread
« Reply #83 on: Aug 17, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Ok so i didnt go with the hammered i ended up getting a different metalic called soft iron, turned out great was the exact look i wanted here  is a few shots of it after its dried. What yal think opinions?

Welkin

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #84 on: Aug 17, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Looks good, like the color.

MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #85 on: Aug 17, 2015, 03:22 PM »
ok here is the helmet with start of weathering and then first coat of tan

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #86 on: Aug 17, 2015, 08:12 PM »
looking great

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Welkin

« Reply #87 on: Aug 17, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Love that weathering pattern, looks like it's well thought out for placement to look not well though out and to look like regular weathering, can't wait to see it come through.

« Reply #88 on: Aug 18, 2015, 01:05 PM »
ok here it is after i let it dry for 24hrs then took the toothpaste off looks good time for the second round of paint. I have to decide if i want to do just the red on the T visor or what i want to do honestly, opinions?

Welkin

« Reply #89 on: Aug 18, 2015, 01:10 PM »
When I was working on my helmet I actually took several pictures of it from multiple angles with the base metallic coat on (before any other colors) and then loaded the pictures into photoshop and did mock-ups of each side with my plans for colors. Which let me play around with different combinations and other ideas, as well as test if I wanted the colored line or not, and to also kind of discover other new ideas that I hadn't initially thought of. Of course my helmet is a fairly complex design so it was a bit hard to fully visualize it easily. But if you're debating color ideas it's a nice step to see what you like on it.

That said, I'd do at least the t-visor and what I like to call the divider (the raised line around the helmet) in red. But it's your helmet and you do what you like.

So far it's looking good!

« Reply #90 on: Aug 21, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Alrighty so here is my finished product whats your opinions please give me honest truth, so i can know if need to change anything and etc. thanks in advance.
Alot of picture on this post so...apoligize for that

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #91 on: Aug 21, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Don't apologize for pictures, vod, it's what we wanna see  ;D

Looks great. I've always preferred the mandibles to be a different color than the cheeks, and that weathering looks fantastic. And I like that dark metal underneath.  Nice work!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #92 on: Aug 21, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Weathering and paint look top notch, vod. Very impressive ;D

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Havelock

« Reply #93 on: Aug 22, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Yeah, looking great, vod.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #94 on: Aug 22, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Fantastic work on the paint vod.  Only thing I can think of, and this is REALLY nitpicking, is I really like those scars over the eye.  I would do a little something something to make it stand out from the dirt and have those edges of the cut defined.  I think it could really be a signature for you, but that's just an artist opinion.  But honestly, I'm enjoying the progress. This is gonna be a fantastic kit when it's done!!  ;D

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #95 on: Aug 24, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Fantastic work on the paint vod.  Only thing I can think of, and this is REALLY nitpicking, is I really like those scars over the eye.  I would do a little something something to make it stand out from the dirt and have those edges of the cut defined.  I think it could really be a signature for you, but that's just an artist opinion.  But honestly, I'm enjoying the progress. This is gonna be a fantastic kit when it's done!!  ;D

Im still very new to all this, this is my first helmet and really first for everything do you have any suggestions on things i could do to the cuts?

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #96 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Hmmm, by the looks of it now, it seems to be more of a surface scratch, but with how wide it is, it looks as if it's supposed to be a little deep. If this is scratch is something you'd like to keep, then I'd suggest a bondo or putty on the edges to give it a feeling of depth. Not too much I can think of in terms of paint effects...maybe some sort of contrast in paint on the edges MIGHT work too...

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #97 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:15 PM »
ok cool i may see what i can come up with

« Reply #98 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Ok guys i know i havent posted in a while, but here is all the armor and helmet!! except for the gauntlets still working on them. all that is left really is attaching my plates which is what im most nervous about

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #99 on: Oct 05, 2015, 10:06 AM »
looking awesome man, Love the weathering

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!